1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Caron Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by austinrocket, May 20, 2002.

1. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

The Rockets need to trade down to #3 and get Caron Butler. He is the next Paul Pierce. He is going to be special. Imagine getting him and say a Antawn Jamison. We would have something special next year and depth. Steve Francis, Antawn Jamison, Eddie Griffin, Caron Butler, Cuttino Mobley. Not bad.

2. sracer1000

sracer1000 Member

Hold on,

Why dont we draft Ming and see how the draft plays out. I could very easily see Butler or Woods dropping with Dunleavy in the mix and all the other uncetaintys. Say Hillario and tshavaka-whatever and Stoudimire all go top 10, we could trade with someone #15 + KT + next year 2nd round to move up and take Caron or Woods. If not, we can take Jefferies or Nachabar with the 15 and have this

Francis
    Cat
    Butler
    Griffen
    Ming

BENCH: Moochie, Taylor, Rice, Cato, Terrance, Torres, Brown, and Dixon

3. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Juan Dixon would be a perfect fit with the Rockets. Imagine if they got him in the second round.
    I agree with you on seeing how the draft plays out. I forgot they had the #15

4. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I agree 100%. Caron Butler is the best player in this draft...he will become Paul Pierce eventually. He plays stellar D, loves to crash the boards (off and def)...and he's clutch.

The Rockets should go at all costs to move up with the #15 and KT and whatever is needed to sweeten the deal to pick him. IMO, there is no way Ming will become as good as a player as Butler...but Ming does solve the center issue.

It's kinda like fantasy baseball drafts for me...do i pick the catchers and shortstops even tho they suck (but i need to fill the position with a good player)..or do u just pick the best available player and go from there (trades or play em).

5. jwun

jwun Member

Butler has a well polished "NBA" ready game. I caught him in the NCAA tourney and he was stellar....he played hard and posted strong numbers, pretty much carrying UCONN........ Vs. Maryland he threw down 30+ on the soon to be champs that had sold me on him. If Butler can atleast put up the numbers Pierce put up in his rookie and sophmore seasons. I'd say he'd be worth trading down for, especially if we get a solid player or two along with the pick that lands him. Has anyone else watched him play.....if so what did you think?

6. knifejc

knifejc Member

I would love for the rocket to take Butler, just wish he was a couple of inches taller:rolleyes: But i could live with his height at the 3.

Another quick question...can someone tell me if Memphis is gonna pass on our #15 pick this year?

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Don't be suprised if the Rockets trade down to pick up Butler. I bet they are really high on him. Don't be disappointed if they swap picks with Memphis, to be releaved of their obligation for next year.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I wonder what kind of #'s Caron Butler would have put up in the Chinese League? 40 ppg?

9. knifejc

knifejc Member

Will Butler become this year's Richard Jefferson i mean will he by one of the popular picks by the fans only to be traded away?

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I like the idea of having Bultler too. He brings more team speed and athleticism. He can be a point forward. He can light it up from the three if needed.

I think it would be wiser to pick him first and follow this advice:

Chris Marcus, Western Kentucky.

Compared with Michael Olowokandi, who also started playing relatively late. Scouts are mixed. Some like his hands and shooting skills; others worry about the stress fracture he suffered early last season. "He would be a safer pick at 15 than one," says an Atlantic scout. "

The guy is a solid 7' 1" 285 pounder to add to Cato and Collier.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Aldridge sure does like him -

Too many decisions, but it's a wonderful problem to have.

12. jwun

jwun Member

We traded #13 Jefferson and two later selections to aquire Griffin (a #8 pick). I don't think CD and Rudy would trade down from the #1 to get a lower pick only to trade it away.

Maybe, someone can come up with a possible scenerio?

But then again, the draft is a month away, and we can't trade someone we haven't even worked out yet.

13. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

Write this one down Rocket fans..I have come from the future and this is what I saw....

Caron Butler number 6 in the league in scoring...25 PPG...6RPBG..great leadership abilities..TRULY A WINNER WHO HAS A TREMENDOUS HEART!!!

14. writhe

writhe Member

Would you do this deal:

Memphis gets #1 pick.

Houston gets #4 pick and Stromile Swift.

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Umm, what year are you from? Just corious.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Writhe,I wouldn't do that.