1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony Trade to Chicago Bulls Dead

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JVL713, Sep 22, 2010.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The article title may be overstating things a little (a little). Bulls not willing to include Noah in Melo trade talks is a bit more on target.

But I agree, it's good on two fronts:
    One, it may (or may not) mean that there's less bidding for Melo

Two, it's the third report I've seen this week indicating that the bidding for Melo is not escalating - teams are refusing to include prime chips (Favors/Lopez, Martin, Noah).....essentially, everyone is keeping their bids low, slightly above the Knicks best offer.

If we somehow make a deal for Melo, I don't want to give up a stupid amount of quality. Jeffries, Battier, Hill, both Knicks picks for Anthony plus TE for Andersen would be perfect.

Evan

3. 757

757 Member

I highly doubt the Nuggets would do that. If we are to get him, I'm almost certain either Brooks or Martin will be packaged as the prize of the deal. The "prize" of that deal is Jordan Hill, who I don't think they will want to bet on, especially if Melo is the price. That being said, your deal is perfect for us, because we don't give up anything! :grin:

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Assuming that neither Brooks nor Martin is included in the trade package, you'd have to think that Budinger would be in it. First, your trade involves the Nuggets taking back MORE salary on the "Melo side" of the deal. Also, I think the Nuggets would rather have Budinger over Battier, and the Rockets would actually have more of a need for Battier than Budinger as a backup to Melo.

My suggested trade package for some time now has been:

Chase Budinger (good young player, locked into cheap contract)
    Jordan Hill (good young player, recent lottery pick)
    Chuck Hayes (good role player, expiring contract)
    Jared Jeffries (salary filler, expiring contract)
    Alexander Johnson (salary filler, non-guaranteed contract)
    Mike Harris (salary filler, non-guaranteed contract)
    2011 first rounder (SOME level of protection?)
    2012 first rounder (higher of NYK or HOU picks - SOME level of protection?)

But that's probably a moot point, since New Jersey's offer (Favors alone, even) would likely be a better deal that a "non-Brooks-or-Martin" Rockets package.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I hear that - I should have been more clear that by "perfect", I meant uber-win scenario for us.

There's a million combinations for Morey to use. And I'd be great with Brooks going instead of Martin.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am pretty sure one of Brooks and Martin will be included. Brooks is a better trade bait, IMO, but you'll have to include more expiring salaries because of his relatively low pay. But the rumor is that Martin is on the table, which I really don't want to happen.

7. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

what if we include battier, hill, chase, and jeffries, and 2 picks?
    if lawson, aaflalo, chase or hill turn out to be great players, they have 2 defensive players, which imo they need desperately, and thhat would help them be a 8th seed or so. and work from there.

we still keep a solid rotation of

pg brooks, lowry
    sg martin, taylor
    sf anthony, lee
    pf scola, patterson, hayes
    c yao, miller

8. opticon

opticon Member

The only way a deal with brooks works is if Aaron is traded to a third team and The nuggets are able to get a asset of need through Aaron's value from that third team.

One thing I have noticed form Morey is that he is a facilitator. He loves organizing three team deals.

The Lowry deal
    The Martin deal
    The Donte Greene \Dorsey deal.
    The Lee deal

Thats four trades that come to mind that involved multiple teams.

Once a team emerges that values Aaron Brooks and has a asset that Denver wants our chances of getting Melo go way up.

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

excellent point you made with his multi team deals

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Noah is a solid player, but the Bulls are insane if that's what's holding up the Carmelo deal. Noah is about demand a huge pay increase via contract extension, so it's better that Chicago trades him now while his value is high. While a solid player, Noah at $12-$13M would be pretty damn expensive.

11. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

He's coming to Houston. Its the same as the Lebron deal less the decision. Everyone thought James was going to N.Y. and everywhere else but Miami. I think the media outlets make us think that Melo is going somewhere because that's where they want him to go. To their destination. They(the whos who of sports media) write this to pump up their desires to hopefully see him go to N.Y. or Chicago. Not Melo, or the general public fan wanting him to go to those teams.

I see that it has to come down to assets being offered for Melo and the two best teams for that are the Rockets and Nets. Period. If its also true Melo wants to win, we have that. Do the Nets have that, No. That would put the rockets on top of the west and therefore in my opinion give them the best chances to land Melo.

12. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

That's beyond a SOLID rotation

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i still DO NOT want to do this trade. i dont like anthony. but if it were to happen this would be the best trade so far that i have seen.

still seems to me a very very weak defensive team though.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I disagree. If the Nets are smart, as in they're not going to go for a big name for the sake of doing so, they would not include Favors in any Melo deal. Not unless they think Lopez will turn into prime-Yao the next few years.

The Nets were a 12 win team last year. Suppose they were actually better than their records indicate, and that their offseason acquisitions minus Favors are good. Optimistically we're looking at 30 wins. Add Melo to the mix, and they're what? 40-45 wins? And this is IMO almost best case scenario. Which in the end means 1st round exit.

Beyond next year, the Nets have very little room to improve on. They'll have no more lottery picks, nor any more cap room. Any marginal improvement by Lopez will be offset by Devin Harris being a year older.

The Nets simply aren't a Melo away from competing. They're much better served praying Favors looking like DH-lite. And then aim for a high lottery pick next year to continue their rebuilding. There's simply too little talent on that team. Really, any player short of Lebron/Kobe/Wade level isn't going to make them a contender.

15. Rockets_4_life

Well according to ESPN there's seems to be four teams in contention for Carmelo Anthony ... New York, Chicago, New Jersey and Houston...

New York doesn't have the assets

Chicago doesn't want to trade Noah(overrated)

and according to Chris Broussard, some team executive said that Melo is not willing to sign an extension with the nets...

http://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard
    Which only leaves one team..... HOUSTON.... :grin:

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yep tbe only two who make sense are the Nets and Rockets. Really if you are Carmelo? Only one makes sense.. The Rockets. Hey if they like the Nets??? Good for them. Hope the Nets do well if they get him..

17. Audioout

Audioout Member

My 2 cents?

Carmelo would be foolish to go to New Jersey. If New Jersey gives up Derrick Favors and rumored expirings in the trade they would be almost the same team that was nearly the worst in NBA history last year. I also believe Devin Harris is on the decline and Avery Johnson was always overrated as a coach (until he was fired).

New Jersey would be foolish to part with Favors to get Anthony. Considering they would also have to relinquish a first rounder you would be stuck with Anthony, Harris, and Lopez. Decent, but not great by any measurement. Favors may be a dominant post player. Maybe even one of the best of the NBA. Those are extremely rare nowadays. You NEVER trade a dominant post player for a dominant wing. Especially one that is on a rookie contract currently and especially for a wing that doesn't play defense.

Of course if New Jersey IS foolish enough to relinquish Favors in a trade they should and probably will take that in an instant. I have a feeling they aren't willing to offer Favors due to if they were, I believe the deal would have already gone down. They couldn't possibly get a better offer right now or at all really.

18. Audioout

Audioout Member

Also, Chris Anderson will probably be out of their lineup for most of the season and even when he does come back he won't be 100% all season and probably part of the next. They will want to move him.

The Rockets can absorb Anderson with a trade exception (separately from any other trades). We won't be hurting for his services this season and when he does come back he'd be great off the bench for us.

As far as game readiness is concerned the Nuggets need post player help and a fill in for Carmelo at the SF position. Offering Hill, Patterson, Budinger, Jeffries, and Battier would help fill those needs.

They will continue shopping other players throughout the season so you will see Smith go first, probably to NY, then they will move both Battier (probably to the Thunder for a first and a small contract) and Jeffries (probably to Portland for Rudy) at the trade deadline to a contender needing the defensive help for more assets. Billups may go he may not. He's loved in Denver and he's a star although not on the level of Carmelo.

19. Audioout

Audioout Member

Oh last post. I think people seem to forget. We'll probably be getting SOMETHING out of this even if it isn't Carmelo while giving up nothing in the form of rotation players.

I for one would love to have Chris Anderson for essentially nothing.

Also, we could get a useful player to whatever team does net Carmelo if not us by being part of a three way. We're using those assets sometime this year one way or the other so we'll be looking for a deal even if it isn't Anthony.

20. J-Man

J-Man Member

YES !!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Morey and Rockets FTW !!!

GO MOREY !!! GO GO GO !!!

Battier,Jeffries,Hill,1 Rocket pick and 1 NYK pick for Melo !!! :grin: :grin: :grin: