1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Hernandez update

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nick, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He threw 7 innings today, zero hits, zero runs, 10 K's, against a very good Colorado Springs team.

He was probably not allowed to go for the entire no-no, because of a pitch count... but its good to see him progressing well enough to get those K numbers up.

I don't know how hard he was throwing (indications in previous starts said he was starting to get more velocity), but he obviously is just much more confident in his stuff, as his K numbers have been goin higher and higher the last couple of months.

We'll see how this week goes with Munro and Duckworth, and I say its only a matter of time now that we'll get to see Carlos in there.... whether we're in contention, or not.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's amazing. Hopefully he'll be able to get his velocity up soon. He won't break back out of the minors if he doesn't.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

great news.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hopefully, today is Duckworth's last chance. It's tough going into a game that you know you're going to have to use your entire bullpen. I think it is time to give Carlos a chance. Even if his velocity isn't where it used to be, that only means that he has learned how to pitch rather than throw.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It would not suprise me to see Buchholz being called up in the near future as well.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

There's a difference in pitching to minor league players and major league players. A low 80's fastball isn't going to do it in the majors.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

True... but its already been stated that his fastball is now up to 88mph in his starts (according to the last times-picayune article).

I read the article for yesterday's game, and all it said was that he was great at, "Changing speeds..."

Considering that his curveball was always around 75-78mph, I would assume his fastball would be a bit more than that.

Agreed, though... he won't be called up till his arm strength is where it needs to be... but he IS making progress.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed..but this is a big step from where he was. it's progress, at the very least. gives us something to hope for.

9. baytownson

baytownson Member

In three starts in July, Hernandez is 2-0 with an era of .45. He's allowed only 7 hits and 3 walks in 20 innings while striking out 18.

Another guy I think could get a late call up is Chad Qualls. Since being moved to the pen, he's made 11 apps and has given up runs in only one of those. I think this guy definitely has a future in the Astros' bullpen.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought I read somewhere that he had hit the low 90s on his fastball.

Either way, it is good news.

Can he hit??????

DD

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Jaime Moyer won 20 games last year with a low 80's fastball. Not that Carlos is Jaime Moyer, but it is still a good sign that if he is throwing in the low 80's, he is still getting guys out.

Yes there is a difference between AAA hitters and major league hitters. That doesn't make pitching 7 no-hit innings any easier.

12. baytownson

baytownson Member

.158 with an OPS of .369

should fit right in....

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

If we completely fall out of the races I don't see any reason why he should be rushed to the major league.

If we are not in contention after this week, I say we wait until September for a possible call up.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Define contention.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good, he can play 1st base then.

:)

DD

16. baytownson

baytownson Member

Well so much for the late call up......he got recalled today.

17. rudager

rudager Member

Man oh man, maybe he can carry the 'Stros back to .500!

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Another 7 inning, no run performance from Carlos tonight, against a very good hitting Memphis Redbird team.

If Tim or Pete struggle these next two days, or we fall further out of contention, you might as well let him get his feet wet, and see how far he has to go to get ready for major league pitching, in the even that he'd be called on to start next year.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Here's the recap of last night's stellar performance by Carlos:
    http://www.nola.com/zephyrs/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1090680968283800.xml

Some highlights to point out... his fastball is now reaching 89mph, which should be good enough for the big leagues... but he feels he can get it even faster in the future. For now, he feels that he's ready to compete.

Hernandez pitches Z's to victory
    By Peter Barrouquere
    Staff writer
    Saturday, July 24, 2004

Carlos Hernandez took another step toward getting back to the Houston Astros on Friday night.

Hernandez, who pitched seven hitless innings Sunday in his last outing, allowed three hits in seven innings as the Zephyrs beat the Memphis Redbirds 2-0 at Zephyr Field.

Hernandez (7-3) had his consecutive hitless innings streak end at 10 1Ú3 over three games when Mike Mahoney lined a single to right with one out in the third. The streak started in the last inning of a game that was postponed after three innings July 11 at Iowa. Mahoney had an infield hit in the fifth, and Jason Bowers doubled in the sixth.

Russ Springer allowed two hits and struck out four in two scoreless innings.

"He's throwing the ball well," Zephyrs catcher Zach Norris said. "He's locating his fastball. That's what we preach. He's getting his breaking stuff over. His velocity has come back, and he knows how to pitch.

"He's been in the big leagues, and he's not too far from going back there, I can tell you that. The last three or four times, he's been outstanding."

Hernandez, who missed last season while recovering from three surgical procedures in 2002 to his left shoulder, has allowed two runs in 30 innings in his past five starts.

He threw 90 pitches Friday and his fastball topped at 89 mph, Zephyrs pitching coach Charlie Taylor said.

"I've felt pretty good the last three or four starts," Hernandez said. "The way my shoulder feels right now, and with what I have right now, I think it's good enough to get me back to the big leagues.

"The main thing is, my velocity hasn't come all the way back, but I think with what I have right now, I can get the job done. (Norris) called a great game, and the guys helped me out defensively and picked me up and got the win for me."

Zephyrs hitting coach Sean Berry, who is managing the team while Chris Maloney serves a suspension for an incident in a game this week on the road, said there wasn't much difference in the way Hernandez has pitched in the two games he has seen him.

"He pitched just as well as he did the other night," Berry said.

The Z's, who threatened frequently against Memphis starter Luis Martinez (0-4), scored four runs in the seventh.

Mike Hill batted for Hernandez with one out and got an infield single. Chris Burke bunted, but Martinez couldn't make a play, and the Zephyrs had runners on first and second.

Chad Paronto replaced Martinez and walked Royce Huffman to load the bases. Paronto walked Mike Coolbaugh and Phil Hiatt to force in two runs and give the Z's a 2-0 lead.

Eric Bruntlett singled to left to bring in Huffman and Coolbaugh.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I am sorry but topping out at 89 will not do it. Don't rush him back! He will over throw and get hurt again. This is the one time I agree with the brass!