1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry please ink a deal, we love you and need you in a non gay way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tfor3, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Rover16

Rover16 Member

He didn't shut me up last year and I was proven correct. I guarantee you he won't do it this year. Everyone, but blind francis lovers know that francis is done.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This is particularly true when they land on good/deep teams.

It wasn't an issue of money, it was an issue of a roster spot. Between the 2-1 trades with SA and Minny + other free agent signings and the superior summer league play of Harris--it wasn't at all clear Landry was going to stick at all.

Landry's contract wasn't all that different than Fazekus or Marcus Williams.
    Of course it hindsight a 2 or 3 year deal would have been better, but Dallas and SA I think are happy they didn't offer those players multi-year guaranteed deals and tie up their rosters.

Landry was a huge surprise. Honestly I think both Morey and his agent are doing and have been doing their job. I would prefer an easier agent--but I can't say he isn't doing an OK job for his client. Just hope it ends well--I think it will. Given we landed Barry for the LLE and the Artest trade, hard to see the resulting tie up of our MLE has hurt us at all. Just so long as this Landry thing ends OK.

I think it will. Landry I don't think will want to settle for a 1 year qualifying offer (.711 K). It is up to them (Landry/agent) to negotiate more than that and be willing to accept something reasonable (anything substantively more than 7 mil guaranteed over 3 is not reasonable)--in other words the stalemate position works in favor for the Rockets.

Morey may still come off smelling fine.

3. yaomi

yaomi Member

If Morey had offered a 2 year deal, it might cost more at the end of contract when Landry is good. You avoid trouble for this year, but will likely lose Landry next.

I don't think morey "made a mistake." in this case. You know why Landry was picked in second round? He had a big surgy before. Morey took a risk by picking him and signing him.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Francis will be the starting guard of the 2008/2009 NBA Champion Houston Rockets!!!!!

5. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

hopefully we'll get it all together soon!

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Hypothetical question.

At this point in the offseason, what would you guys think if:

A) Landry decides to have exploratory surgery right before the season starts

B) He signs with the team and his knee suddenly needs surgery within a month of the signing ala. Monta Ellis

One would be fulfilling the team request but would make us miss him for a couple months at least. The other would mean we made a mistake that would hound us for the duration of his contract.

If in any way or manner, his knee is hurt, would you still push to sign him given his play post-injury during the season?

I would rather he is actually healthy and we sign him for a reasonable amount of money/years but I propose the question nonetheless.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets should/might be offering 2 different contracts. one more lucrative contract if he gets his knee cleared, and the other a low ball offer which reflects his post injury play last season.

8. joesr

joesr Member

this waiting is just making it harder :(

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

True. And the low ball one should be a real low ball one, just enough over the qualifying offer. If he won't get it checked by our docs maybe 2 years, 2 mil, with a player option. If he will get it checked, double those figures and add an extra year (3 years, 7 mil, with player option on last year--which he can opt out of that last year to resign for more money/years, but he would still be restricted as he had been in the league 3 years).

Any thing more than that he needs to bring in another teams actual contract or play by the Rockets rules, since we have his rights.

10. rocketanalyist

Good points..agreed.

11. akiracy

akiracy Member

just let him go. he will either

1) finally sign and
    a) something is wrong with his knee, requiring surgery + rehab = missing out on a chunk of the season.
    b) best case scenario is we get the same production from him

or

2) wait out
    a) make us unable to sign deke, dorsey or another FA, because we are waiting to match any offers.
    b) sign with another team and be exposed without a good playmaker.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

come on...both sides---get it done :mad:

13. lxnew2000

lxnew2000 Member

o man that made me hate the Jazz more. resign him what a guy !

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If I were Daryl Morey, the only impact that Landry's contract standstill would have, from my standpoint, would be my ability to sign Joey Dorsey to a three-year (versus a two-year) contract at the league minimum salary.

Dorsey is ready to sign. The Rockets want to keep him at least two years, otherwise he'd have signed already. I don't think there is any disagreement over terms like there was with Landry last year. It's just a question of whether the Rockets can get that third year (likely a team option) using a sliver of the MLE once/if Landry finally signs.

As for Deke, I'd hold fast to a 10+ year league minimum offer of ~$1.2M, only $797k of which actually is paid by the Rockets and counts against the salary cap and the luxury tax. Anything over that (even $1 over) would make his entire salary count towards the cap and the luxury tax. Better to convince Deke to take a couple hundred thousand dollars less and instead pledge additional support to his charitable causes. Les not only saves on the luxury tax/revenues but also gets a charitable tax deduction.

Assuming that Morey is taking the above approach with Dorsey (very likely) and Mutombo (somewhat likely), then he and the Rockets organization can afford to wait out the Landry contract standstill until Carl and his agent finally crack and either take a modest multi-year offer from the Rockets or take the Rockets' qualifying offer of the league minimum and wait to hit unrestricted free agency next summer.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Looking at the Roster a number of questions need to be answered
    KEEPERS
    ALSTON
    ARTEST
    BARRY
    BATTIER
    LANDRY
    McGRADY
    SCOLA
    YAO .........8 players
    SELECT 7 FROM THE following, provided there are no more trades

FARANCIS
    STRAWBERRY
    LEUNEN (3pt.shots)
    BROOKS
    HARRIS
    HAYES
    DORSEY
    HEAD
    MUTOMBO

BEST PLAYERS WITH A FUTURE and EXPERIENCE:-
    BROOKS
    HARRIS
    HAYES
    PLAYERS WITH A FUTURE BUT NO EXPERIENCE:-
    DORSEY
    LEUNEN
    STRAWBERRY
    PLAYERS WITH EXPERIENCE BUT NO FUTURE:-
    MUTOMBO
    HEAD
    FRANCIS

16. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I'd go with....

Brooks
    Hayes
    Dorsey
    Leunen
    Mutombo
    Francis

Leaving 1 out of the following 3 - Head, Strawberry, Harris

Head is a good, sometimes great shooter...... until it's playoff time. He can't even shoot 20%. I have Leunen in to replace his shooting.

The loyalist in me would love to keep Harris, but he's too redundant. We already have Landry and Hayes. Landry is more explosive and athletic and Hayes has been here a while and is one of our best defenders. Then the addition of Dorsey who even if he's just an inch taller is much longer and stronger than Harris.

Strawberry is the one unique player here. He could defend both guard positions effectively, and being 6'5" his ability to stay with quick PG's combined with his length can cause a lot of havoc on opponents.

I'll take Strawberry as the last player.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

At the risk of annoyance, I will bump quite feverishly, until at which point Landry re-signs or bails :mad:

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I really hope we get a Luther for Sean Williams type of deal done for insurance purposes.

19. Albert Einstain

Who is the only NBA roster to whom the females are not a bit attractive .

He is Rudy Gay . :D

20. rocketanalyist

Nice analogy indeed. Morey is definitely more patient than most of us, which is why he has that job. If it was me, Landry would have a final offer on the table now and if he didn't accept we would be moving on. But, that is just emotion talking, I agree with how Morey is handling it from a business perspective. Hopefully I would do as he is doing if I were in his shoes.

But Landry needs to step up past his agent and realize that this is a championship year and get all distractions over with so that the team can focus on bringing him his first ring! He is young and has plenty of time to make lots of money, if his knee is healthy as they claim.