1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry please ink a deal, we love you and need you in a non gay way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tfor3, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Rover16

Rover16 Member

You don't get it. Most 2nd round picks who don't make it to the nba don't even get a contract. If a team thinks a 2nd round pick is worthy of a contract then they give him a multi year deal because in the grand scheme of things a 2nd round contract is chump change.

The standard for most 2nd round picks is 2 years with a team option for a 3rd. It's why monta ellis spent 3 years making like 700K. It's why boozer begged the cavs and even conned them to not pick up that 3rd year cause he would have only made 700K.

The point is a 2nd round contract is pocket change and to haggle over such a small amount where the two sides can only come to a 1 year agreement is dropping the ball on. If morey gave him the standard contract, we would have him for cheap this year and a team option to have him for cheap again next year.

2. jmr123jmr

jmr123jmr Member

3. joesr

joesr Member

Ok so what your not understanding is that IF Landry had a 2-3 year deal he wouldn't be above that 1 mil mark yet and now as a 2nd year player you want a multi million multi year contract and yet he won't prove with a doctors note that his knee shouldn't be giving any more problems.

What your not understanding is that as a 31 pick that the Rockets gave him the chance where LIKE YOU SAID most teams wouldn't even sign a contract but yet you call Morey out on lowballing where Morey could have just said look, you were good college player but better luck next time but decided to give him a chance. (where any 2nd round draft pick player probably would be like hell yes I agree to those terms, thank you for giving me this chance).

I mean you are saying this all yourself, most 2nd round picks don't make it. And thats just key. The fact that Landry had a chance is key. He agreed to the terms. If he didn't like it he could have went somewhere else but this is where you prove your worth.

4. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Again, you're not seeing the big picture. If landry got the 2 year deal last year, then yes he wouldn't be making a mill, but you wouldn't hear him complaining about money cause he signed a deal. You don't hear 2nd round picks who have proved themselves to be worth more than a mill start complaining in their 2nd year because they know they signed that contract.

The point is if he was signed for this year, you wouldn't hear a peep out of him or his agent about making more money because he already had a contract even if he thought he was worth more then that. This whole situation was avoidable and morey messed up.

5. joesr

joesr Member

True

But at the same time its only half a year he prove himself and in that time he hurt himself and on top of that won't do what the Rockets ask before signing him.

Who knows, he might have had a lucky year since the opposing teams underestimate him.

What I really want to see is another year from Landry with the opposing teams know what he is capable of (again the opposite teams probably didn't pay much attn being there was a Yao and Mac therefore leaving him available).

The amount of money he is asking for when he only proved himself in one year is ridiculous.

The amount of money he is asking for when he wont compromise with the Rockets end is ridiculous.

6. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

First of all, you don't know about the negotiations behind the scenes to say that Morey messed up. How do you know what you suggest wasn't offered and turned down because Landry's people saw a bigger payday with just a one year contract?

It doesn't matter that Morey wouldn't hear a peep out of Landry's agent if he got what he wanted because Morey heard it out of him in the initial contract negotiations. These events are hardly unavoidable considering Morey is dealing with Carl Landy's agent. He is after the most $$$$$ and Morey isn't stupid to give it to him without a fight.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I suggest everyone keep calm. Nobody has offered Landry a contract because he hasn't done enough to merit much and other teams know the Rockets will match. Something will be done, probably right before training camp. What bugs me about the whole thing is Landry cannot use the Rockets' facilities to come in and work out. I hope he's been busy improving his game.

8. Rover16

Rover16 Member

No, I do know that morey messed up. People need to stop painting his agent as the bad guy cause he's only doing his job. The pay scale for 2nd round contracts is pretty much set, so we know landry wasn't asking for the moon last season. All he wanted was what was comparable to other 2nd round picks and if he got that, he would have signed it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5130595.html

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I personally believe that Carl's knee is messed up. He rarely dunked after that energy or showed the explosiveness that we were use to seeing nightly before the injury.

I praise Morey for not caving to Landry's agent and signing an injured player to some serious cash. This isn't the NFL were we could waive him with an injury settlement.

10. rocketsregle

Morey is doing his job too. What other second round picks have a two year contract fully guaranteed? Is it the norm to offer such a contract to a second rounder who doesn't show anything in summer league?

11. joesr

joesr Member

OFF TOPIC but what's the story behind this???

12. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Glen Davis got a 2 year deal. Steve Novak got a 2 year deal. There's no reason not to give him that deal because the money is chump change for an nba team. Les Alexander finds that kind of money b/w his couch cushions.

It's clear that morey's other mistake played a part in this. Morey didn't give landry a deal fair for a 2nd round pick last year cause he caved into fan pressure to bring back francis. That 2.5 mill last year was wasted on francis and because morey also gave francis a player option this year for the same amount, that is another 2.5 mill wasted on francis. So now you have 5 mill wasted on francis and it's come at the cost of signing landry to a fair deal last season.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The story is some loser actually posted this and it was so ignorant that I made it my signature. The guy actually thought Adelman favored Tracy over SF because he wanted to keep Yao in check. You're a new member and perhaps weren't here for the "robust" debates on how Adelman used Yao early in the season. It got quite heated and a few of Yao's supporters really went off the deep end.

14. deifieduandi

deifieduandi Member

DUNK! DUNK! DUNK AGAIN! AND ......DUNK AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

fierce beast, problem maker(to other team)!!

I love him

15. rocketsregle

Novak's deal wasn't fully guaranteed. The Rockets had an option to pick up the last two years. It is very rare for second round picks to get guaranteed contracts.

The Rockets have wasted far more money than 2.5 million on marginal players over the years ... Steve Francis is a good risk compared to those. The Landry saga is far from over to call it an error on Morey's part. I'm rooting for Morey to make you eat your words. ;)

16. Rover16

Rover16 Member

How can morey make me eat his words? I said morey made a mistake by not signing him to a 2 year contract last year. There's nothing morey can do now that will change that fact, unless he goes back in time and signs landry to a 2 year contract.

17. rocketsregle

Oh I don't know ... by signing him to reasonable contract. Instead of dealing with Landry and Artest at the same time after this season Morey can have one of them out of the way.

#97 rocketsregle, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  18. joesr

joesr Member

Hah, oK! Ming is my favorite player hands down but I honestly didn't see this happening and ever since I moved to Houston I haven't missed a game.

But back to Landry's agent, aka, Rover16, crying about the past doesn't solve anything but expecting more money from someone who only proved himself for half a year when other teams obviously didn't know who he is when obviously Landry really only made plays that TMAC drew the def from is ridiculous. Most rookies have to prove themselves over 2-3 years.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

What's comparable now? The full MLE? Bonzi & the Kings, the sequel.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ooooooo boyyyyyy Steve is gonna shut you up I guarantee it!!!!!!!!