1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry please ink a deal, we love you and need you in a non gay way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tfor3, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Maxgx

Maxgx Member

Can we just stop talking about this tedious stuff at all? If he WANT to come back then welcome. Otherwise best wishes and not hard feeling.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agreed. Everyone's following in the Morey don't overpay for talent approach and dinging Landry left and right on his negatives. If you watch Landry and then look at his numbers, you'd see abundant positive contributions.

The knee issue is a cause for concern though. And the part about a big raise after only 42 games for a rookie is quite true. Plus I don't see Landry's minutes increasing much. But I dont agree with just putting Dorsey in Landry's place and expecting the same results. Dorsey will never average 17 points per 36 minutes like Landry did.

3. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Agreed. Despite some people thinking morey is god who is not flawless, yet people are just blindly following him. He messed up the landry situation last year and is paying for it this year. Instead of correcting that mistake, he's still messing it up this season by playing hardball.

4. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

[​IMG]

Please come back Carl. We ♡ U.

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

thank you sir

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

wow, glad this thread took you out of hibernation......

great first post :rolleyes: :cool:

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

How come no one has offered him a contract yet?

If they believe Houston will match, what do they have to lose? They can always call Morey's bluff. But, if he's refusing to prove the health of his knee to us, he's probably doing the same thing to everyone else.

It's already enough of a roll of the dice, due to his injury history. To ask them to sign him up to maximum dollars, without being able to make sure his injury is healed from this last season, that's pretty stupid on his agent's part. His agent is used to being from other sports, not the NBA, and doesn't know how to play it, just trying to go after all the money he can ... and it's backfiring.

In the meantime, I've been impressed that Morey has done as much as he has, with this hanging around his neck.

Landry is impressive to me ... his agent sucks ... not just for the Rockets, but for Landry himself, and the fans. I just hope he doesn't turn Landry against the Rockets in the meantime by his antics.

But, I don't want us to lose him. We need all the up-coming talent we can amass.

8. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Umm how about it being a waste of their time and they didn't feel like doing another gm's job? Look at josh smith, grizzlies give him that offer and the hawks match the same day and go thanks for signing him for us. With RFAs, 95% of the time they're matched so a GM doesn't feel like doing the negotiating for another GM.

9. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

Is it possible for him to get the knee checked out and not reveal the medical record to Rockets and anyone else? If the result is fine, then he show it to Rockets and get a good contract, but if the result is bad, just keep it secret.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Agreed. At this point, the remaining teams with their MLEs intact, have nothing to lose.

The only was Morey can be trumped is if he finds a full MLE elswhere. Then Morey has to decide whether to match or not.

Otherwise, if he takes on the qualifying offer. Landry will be unrestricted next free agency, but Rockets hold his early bird rights.

Or if he heads overseas, the Rockets retain his rights.

Morey's in a good place with this situation. Landry would want to avoid doing a Bonzi who can't even get an offer right now.

11. joesr

joesr Member

Wow I didnt realize 2 round picks got paid a lot, in fact they dont, almost close to the league minimum if it at all.

# (1st Year) 2nd Year (3rd Year) 4th Year Qualifying
    25 $838,300 $901,200 $964,100 $1,736,344 $2,550,689
    26 $810,600 $871,300 $932,100 $1,680,576 $2,480,531
    27 $787,100 $846,200 $905,200 $1,632,981 $2,421,711
    28 $782,300 $841,000 $899,700 $1,623,959 $2,419,698
    29 $776,600 $834,900 $893,100 $1,612,046 $2,418,068
    30 $771,000 $828,800 $886,600 $1,600,313 $2,400,470

So the 31st pick being Landry got screwed 300k, ($427,163). This year (if he did sign a multi-year contract like most rookies....2yrs or 3 yrs with a additional team option) he would be making a bit around 820,000. Wow that is so damn close to 1,500,000 that you all want to offer him. You want to offer the 'old' Landry at least. The dunking over Duncan, Landry. The blocking and saving his own block Landry. The getting everyone else hyped up after a dunk Landry. The "I believe everyone is dunking more because of this" Landry. Well guess what. I hate to burst your unobservant arse but this old Landry I speak of wasn't there after the injury. We saw low hops. We saw lay-ups where he used to hang on the rim. We saw tipping for rebounds where he used to be a beast and just grab the motha. So get your heads out of your butt and make Landry prove he is who we first saw. Other wise I say he is fair game and can go to the other teams his sorry arse agent claims he has. Then let Dorsey show he can do if not better what Landry has done.

LOL, I have a question for you......are you Carl's agent???? Or are you the one under the table? I mean Gdamn! People respect Morey for what he has done since taking over a couple years ago. People are seeing that he isn't wasting money on said moves. People are seeing that he brings in good deals year after year. We still have money to spend with the roster we have?? OMFG who woulda thought that! Its because of the time and effort he has put in to make this team win.

12. i3artow i3aller

The pain of seeing Carl Landrys name in a thread that doesn't mention an extension is almost unbearable. Carl and Deke need to resign soon. They became great friends last year and if one falls so too shall the other. I think their friendship could actually be to our benefit as they are both seeking paydays from that MLE money. I love scola as much as anyone else, but landry proved to be invaluable when on the court with Tracy. Together they are Scolandry, but alone they simply do not stand as tall.

13. Rover16

Rover16 Member

This is where you clearly don't understand the situation. Most 2nd round picks don't make the nba and the ones that do and sign a contract usually do so for 2 years minimum. Morey failed last year and played hardball with landry, which is why they only got a 1 year deal done. Morey gets him locked up for 2 years last summer and we aren't having this discussion today. If you can't see the difference, then you're just a blind morey follower. Morey has been great, but has made 2 mistakes so far. Lowballing landry and wasting 2.5 mill on francis which could have gone towards landry. To not recognize his mistakes is just being a blind homer.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Rockets used a part of MLE to get Steve Francis, that is why Landary did not get the extension, plus, no one knew if he was good or not at that time. This year the rockets will not overpay him either, if he get a MLE from other teams (likely will not), the rockets will let him walk away, his agent is just too stupid to think that someone will give him a MLE.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Am I the only one not losing any sleep over this? The guy won't allow his knee to be examined and he wants an NBA contract.

LOL

16. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

I'm with you Raven.

17. sfayner

sfayner Member

Actually, Landry has already had his knee checked out. His MRI was negative. It is completely unreasonable to expect him to get scoped, a surgical procedure, if his knee is feeling fine.

18. beatpole

beatpole Member

PLS COME BACK

19. joesr

joesr Member

Like Labmouse pointed out, "no one knew if he was good or not at that time".

Like you pointed out, "Most 2nd round picks don't make the nba".

Like every other person on this thread pointed out, "Get your knee examined".

If Landry or his stupid agent can't figure out why the Rockets picked up Joey Dorsey then I don't see Landry coming back which is shameful because I liked the hype he brought with him. But this agent is gonna find out the hard way that he can't beat Morey.

Wasting money on Francis? A player of his so-called caliber would go for more so it was a steal. Naturally I am not a Francis fan but I have been wanting to see this guy for what his fans claim.

If Landry doesn't see past the fact that Artest (regardless of playing the 3 or 4) and Scola can carry out the four just fine then I don't know what to say. The 4 is filled quite nicely defensively with a touch of offense so honestly Landry or agent aren't in the position to try and barter. At least until he has a doctor's ok on the knee.

Now my question. Since the Rockets drafted him at 31, if Landry didn't agree to the deal would he have been free to go elsewhere?

20. joesr

joesr Member

Yeah I guess so, I mean if your gonna spend millions its unreasonable.... :eek: