1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry please ink a deal, we love you and need you in a non gay way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tfor3, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Never saw that with the dentist and had no idea his nose was broken as well. Landry is a tough SOB. Hope he is in Rockets Red still next year...

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

With Artest & Dorsey on board, the Rockets wont miss Carl Landry if he leaves.

Alston, Battier, T-Mac, Artest and Yao will play ~32 minutes. Scola will play ~24 minutes. Barry will play ~20 minutes. These 7 guys will add up to ~204 minutes and with ~36 minutes left at backup 5,4,1. If Landry returns, he will get ~15 minutes. If not, then Landry's minutes will go to Hayes or Dorsey. It's not a problem.

Landry's strengths are hustles, rebounds, and finish around the basket. Landry still shows no post moves or ability to put the ball on the floor.

The only thing that Landry offers more than Dorsey is his inconsistent mid-range jumper. But Dorsey is a stronger, quicker defender and good weak side shot blocker. Dorsey is also a better rebounder. Dorsey and Landry's ability to finish around the basket is the same. Give or take, I dont think the Rockets will miss a beat replacing Landry with Dorsey.

I dont think Morey will overpay Landry. Morey is probably looking for 3-4 year contract that pays 2.5-3 millions a year. In fact, 2.5-3 millions are salaries for top 4-6 picks. Landry should consider himself lucky to be in a good position to get a quick raise after only 42 games.

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

With Landry

C: Yao/Deke/Dorsey
    PF: Scola/Landry/Hayes
    SF: Artest/Battier/Novak or Harris
    SG: tmac/barry/head
    PG: Alston/Francis/Brooks

With this roster... we are looking at a solid 8 man rotation in the bold. Italicized is the people that will get spot minutes maybe 8-10 a game. Hopefully Francis gets more.

Without Landry...

C: Yao/Deke/Dorsey
    PF: Scola/Hayes/Novak
    SF: Artest/Battier/Harris
    SG: tmac/barry/head
    PG: Alston/Francis/Brooks

Hayes and Dorsey split Landrys minutes and I don't think they would be as effective. If you look at playoff teams. They all have a 8-9 man rotation. We need to sign landry. My only problem is that if teams are interested then why are they not offering him offer sheets. It seems to me that he is either not getting them or isn't signing them.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

HOGWASH

[​IMG]
    we might not miss him in the regular season, but let me tell you we WILL miss him in the playoffs where depth and rested players are KEY; where you play the same darn team 7 times potentially and know your game well and make needed adjustments.

Also, during the regular season should we lose a player for 8-10 game in that postition, having Carl will do wonders for continuity of play and playoff positioning etc

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mutombo is worth much less than $3 mil. It is about time for us to get our permanent back up Center.
    Landry is worth only about a two years at 2.5 mil. Then in two years if he is ok then he gets 6 mill for four years.The Contract could be worded as such. :p

6. opticon

opticon Member

if 2.5 mil a year is the best rockets can offer Im afraid even Carl's sorry agent can get at least a slightly better deal in Europe. It wont be a massive deal like Childress got but I imagine that it would be better then 2.5. But Im still hoping that he comes back. But at this point I have already prepared my self for the fact that he might not be back.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

dude we don't even notice yao is missing the past frew yrs in the reg. season b/c of deke's defense

8. wingz0

wingz0 Member

You have no idea how the luxury tax and MLE work, do you?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I want him back and I want him back bad. I'm not drinking the Dorsey/Hayes/Harris-are-good-enough kool aid.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You're joking, right? NBA player contracts cannot be set up that way. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? While I completely agree that Porkylicious does not seem to fully appreciate the luxury tax implications of his proposal, how does it show that he doesn't understand the MLE? The MLE is about $5.8M. His proposal has Landry making just under $5M in the first year of that deal. Mutombo can be re-signed for any amount without using the MLE. The Rockets have full Bird rights on Mutombo.

11. AXG

AXG Member

Is there any new news regarding Landry? I hope he re-signs soon.

12. Porkylicious

Porkylicious Member

who cares about the tax we're not the ones paying it les is. if he can't afford it just raise the ticket prices who caresssssssssssssssssssssssss

13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

NO WAY! you're wrong.

let's all assume Yao will be injured again this year. if it doesn't happen - awesome, but we've got to prepare for that at this point.

that leaves us plus artest.

but let's also acknowledge that tmac is oft injured too. say 15 games next year? once again, this team is up a creek looking for more than a warm body to play minutes.

depth on this team is a must. landry was part of the 22 game win streak and a very special 07-08 season. we need the continuity and the hustle he brings.

we MUST keep an asset like landry! we've got to sign him!

or we could go with what you suggested and assume dorsey will play as well as landry did his rookie year... ???

i seriously doubt that.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I want Landry!!! He is the perfect backup to Scola.

15. killer instinct

I want to use him for trade bait in December.... I think there is going to be bad blood in the future....IMO.

16. Possum

Possum Member

Whats up with the "non gay way" in the title? Is someone not secure in his manhood?

17. rocketswinitall

im getting worried :eek:

18. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

It comes down to price. I am NOT for overpaying this guy. Get the scope... show us your healthy and I am good with paying him more money. With the additon of Artest and Dorsey there is NO reason to overpay a guy who could be out for a significant time. We get enough of that with Yao and Tracy, not to mention the fact that he only had like 1-2 good games, even somewhat close to the form he showed before the injury. Just not worth that much money... or the risk... "if" hes not healthy.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly! Scola + Landry is a good weapon. Scolandry,the true rookie of the year!
    The other nice thing about having them is that they play well together.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Management won't overpay him IMO.