1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Career/Life Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox225, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Ok, so here's my story. I did my undergrad up at Syracuse University. I earned a dual-degree in Communication Studies/International Relations in 3 1/2 years. Since I graduated early I went overseas to Ecuador for an internship with the U.S. Department of State at U.S. Embassy Quito. While in Ecuador I applied to work for several government agencies, which has always been at the top of my career list.

Well, with the application's put in I had a decision to make. So I decided from one day to the next to move to New York City. I always wanted to move there and absolutely love the city. I also thought that if I was going to get a job in NYC the best way to do so was to move there. Well, things didn't work out as planned, and I moved back to TX. The good thing is that while I was in NYC I did get contacted/interviewed/and offered a position with a government agency. So then they start my background check...and the waiting continues.

It has officially been over 8 months now since they started last May. It has been almost 2 years since I applied! And this is where the issue begins. I was naive in thinking it would take this long. I thought 4-5 months at most because that is supposedly the average time it takes. While I've been waiting I've had trouble finding a career/salary paying job that will take a pass on the fact that I will probably leave when/if the call comes. I completely understand that, but I don't know how much longer I can put my life on hold. At my current job I don't make anywhere near what I know I can, and I feel my talents are being wasted severly. I could take another job that's been wanting me but they'd require a 2 year committment, something I don't think I can give.

Is it out of the question that I find a career job that I'm happy with, and end up telling the government thanks but no thanks, no. But I hate making money I could have made dropping out of high school, and watching my friends move ahead in the world while I'm stuck on hold.

Thanks for any advice in advance!