1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cardinals Claim outfielder Colin Porter off waivers from the Houston Astros.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jan 22, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Cardinals claim Astros' outfielder Colin Porter off waivers

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals announced today that they have claimed outfielder Colin Porter off waivers from the Houston Astros and have assigned him to the club's 40-man Major League roster.
    Porter, 28, batted .320 for New Orleans (AAA) last season, finishing sixth among Pacific Coast League batting leaders. The 6-2, 210-pound Tucson, Ariz. native posted a .511 slugging pct. with 23 doubles, 11 home runs and 50 runs batted in last season. He was successful in 22 of his 28 stolen base attempts.

The left-handed hitting Porter also appeared in 24 games for the Astros last season, batting .188. He was Houston's 17th round draft choice in June of 1998 out of the University of Arizona. His career minor league totals include a .280 batting average, 62 home runs, 288 RBIs and 116 stolen bases.

Its ironic that we signed Palmerio from the Cards and to make room for him, we waived Porter, and Cards now sign Porter

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

That suprises me to learn he was left unprotected. Especially with the time he spent in the big league last year. He did have good minor league numbers, however he appeared to be nothing better than an average player at best.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Praise the Lord. Colin Porter is one of the worst professional baseball players I've seen. Let the Cards find out how useless of a hitter and roster spot he is.

I'm definitely not shedding tears over this loss, and I'm thankful the cardinals were dumb enough to take Porter off the Astros hands so Jimy Williams wouldn't be tempted to use him over much better options if he was called up.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

SPLASH!!!!!

I know, I'm sick of it too.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Let's no be so hasty he didn't get that many abs while with the stros.He does have some speed which is one of the stros major weakness.

6. redgoose

Hold on to that SPLASH!

Hunsicker says we still have one more pick up to go. I'm betting it will be a bullpen guy another team cut and we'll sign him to a non guaranteed minor league contract.

Could it be the next Hipolito Pichardo

SPLASH!

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

It's Dave Veres. Then I think we're done until ST.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...123&content_id=630320&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

Astros expected to add Veres
    Free agent reliever would be final piece in puzzle
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros are on the verge of adding perhaps the final piece of their 2004 roster puzzle on Friday with the expected addition of free agent reliever Dave Veres.
    General manager Gerry Hunsicker declined on Thursday to identify the pitcher with whom he was in negotiations, saying only, "I'd still like to add an experienced relief pitcher, a guy who can pitch in the latter part of the game, the seventh, eighth or ninth inning, and I'd have to say there's a pretty good chance we're going to be able to do that."

That description fits Veres, 38, a former Astro who spent last season with the Chicago Cubs. The right-hander owns a career record of 36-35 with a 3.44 ERA and 95 saves. He is 6-2 with three saves lifetime in games at Houston and has pitched well at Minute Maid Park, where he had a string of 10 consecutive scoreless innings snapped two years ago while with the St. Louis Cardinals.

Veres, who was 2-1 with a 4.68 ERA in 31 games for the Cubs last season, broke in with Houston in 1994 but was traded to Montreal following the 1997 season, along with catcher Raul Chavez, in exchange for third baseman Sean Berry.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It is a shame that they just let Porter go for nothing. If anything, he provides depth in the outfield. Especially for one with so little speed. He has a promising career ahead of him. And to let him go to the damn Cards! Bad move that, I believe, will come back to haunt us some day (anyone remember someone named kenny Lofton)

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i won;t go as far as DVauthrin but i don't remember this guy as that great of a prospect anyway.

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Porter is 28 years old....way past the point of "promising career".

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He can't steal 1st base (I think I may have heard that somewhere???).

12. redgoose

Just like Jason Lane....well he's 1 year younger.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Because when he did get at at bats, he never got to 1st base. If you can't get on base, speed is worthless. The guy always squinted his eyes while batting and it showed, as he struck out I'd venture to guess at least half if not more of his plate appearances. He was horrible, and to make matters worse Jimy used him.

I am all for eliminating guys that might make Jimy inclined to bench better players, and Porter was one of those last year, plus he is horrible.