1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Card game I'm looking for

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I like playing Spades and Hearts on my computer to pass time. I find it meditative and I like killing time that way.

But I realized today the ideal version of either game would have a setting where you could opt for each of the three bot players to never make mistakes.

Sometimes my bot-partner in the game makes mistakes and I find that frustrating but I also don't like it when the other (bot) team makes mistakes. And it seems like there must be a version of Spades (ideally though Hearts would do) where all three of the fictional/bot players could play perfect games/make the most efficient moves so I could measure my own play against that.

It must exist since computers can play games without making mistakes but I don't even know how to phrase a search question to find it.

Any advice? I'm trying to know how good I am at these games but I really can't tell because the sample is so corrupted by mistakes on the parts of the bots. And I understand that they must be programmed to make mistakes so I imagine there must also be a version where the opposite is true. It seems like it would be easier to program even.

I realize playing real people online would be a better challenge and closer to this but it wouldn't be this (the other players would be fallible) and too the thing of playing these games for me is a solitary thing. I like to do it alone. I don't want to play with strangers online.

Any help appreciated. I imagine trying to pose this question for google purposes is at least a mildly challenging thought experiment, one at which I have failed.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I’ve been looking for a good Spades app since apps have been a thing. No luck. If you find one, let me know.

Buck Turgidson and Batman Jones like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Weird. What kind of mistakes does it make? Is it miscommunication of when to sandbag or not?

I've played with bridge apps only, so don't know much about Spades sites, but will ask around.

I play Bridge with FunBridge app (costs $), and that doesn't make mistakes on Play of the Hand; although it is tricky to get the bots to bid as a human partner sometimes. See if that company has a Spades version. What's great about that app is it utilizes crowd-sourcing to show how you did versus hundreds of other humans playing the same hand with bots -- a leader board of humans playing with bots.

Gotta be an equivalent Spades App out there. You could read the reviews in the App Store or Google equivalent of various apps, and this topic of bots might be mentioned. Even if you want to use a desktop site vs Moblie app, most of these vendors will have both...so the mobile reviews might still help identifying desktop sites.

Edit: just had a thought. Google for Spades apps that have some type of scoring vs other humans playing bots. I'm sure the key to creating useful leader boards is to have all bots play perfect...random variance of mistakes would be complained about.​

4. Buck Turgidson

Same here.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have no idea. But one approach might be to find a good Chess app that focuses on tinkering with the infallibility of the AI, and then see if that app maker makes other games. Or, you could switch to just playing Chess.