1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car accident advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheeno, Aug 18, 2015.

1. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

I got into a car accident this morning and had a fender bender with this one lady. we both made sure everyone was OK and I asked if she needed any medical attention and she declined she was just shaken up. We look at the damage to the cars and pretty much nothing happened, i took the brunt of the damage and it was just to my license plate and license plate holder. She drove a chevy suburban which had one of those tow hitch signs which i think was what my license plate hit.

I went ahead and gave her my information for insurance and ID as well and took pictures of both vehicles to ensure i had some kind of proof in case somehow there was more damage after leaving the scene.

But anyways, like I said earlier looking at the impact from this morning and the pictures i took on my phone there was no damage at all to her vehicle, nothing was bent nor was there anything that looked out of place on her vehicle. On my vehicle the only thing that was cosmetically damaged was just the license plate and holder.

I got a call from Allstate this morning as it seems like she made the claim to her insurance company and they are sending an adjuster out to look at the damage. I have since then contacted Allstate and sent pictures to them of the damage after the accident.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do and what to expect as if there is any damage at all to her vehicle it is very minimal, may not warrant a repair to it at all.

Let me know if you guys need more info, i would greatly appreciate your responses.

2. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I was just involved in a similar situation. Was rear ended, other guy clearly at fault, but he flipped his story to his insurance. It all depends on your insurance and how you want to handle it. I had photos and proof as well.

Essentially, without a police report, you're kinda screwed. The other insurance company will default to the "he said/she said" argument even if you have evidence. If the other driver flips their story, you will most likely have to file through your own insurance. The police report is key.

1 person likes this.
  3. cheeno

what ultimately happened with your claim? I will not be repairing anything on my vehicle. But it depends on what the adjuster says about her vehicle. I don't think the adjuster will say any significant damage was done, if any.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've been involved in these kinds of deals as well.

Lesson to these stories is ALWAYS call the police. People are scumbags. They will lie and cheat and steal... even if thinking of doing the same is completely foreign to you. Even if it is super super minor.

In my case, it was super super minor but clearly the other parties fault. We exchanged information, pictures, etc. The other parties insurance ended up being old and expired, and they filed a claim with my insurance and outright lied. I had text messages almost evidencing as much... they didn't come out and say you're right, I lied, but pretty close. I provide all this info to my insurance company, yada, yada... no dice.

In a you-said/they-said debate, they go 50/50 without concrete evidence otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't know about your insurance but I read somewhere from my insurance to always deny even if you're blatantly at fault

I guess that's what most scum bags do

1 person likes this.
  6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Sounds like you rear ended her, so without a police report stating otherwise, you will be found liable for whatever damages she claims. Most likely though, even the police will have put you as the liable party unless evidence clear shows otherwise.

Liability will be whatever her adjuster finds, as well as any sudden medical injuries (insert neck brace) she may claim after the fact.

Your evidence may come in handy if she claims an outrageous sum of money and Allstate chooses to follow up.

Also, ambulance chasers are a real thing. Had some lawyers cold call me before, begging to claim injuries after my car was totaled. I walked away from the accident luckily, but it's weird that they found my records from a police report.

1 person likes this.
  7. cheeno

thanks for the reply guys, not what i wanted to hear but i guess i should just expect the worse.

it was my insurance that called me and its my insurance adjuster that is going out there to inspect her car.

i hope he comes back and tells me that it isn't anything that they can fix. All in all this morning the incident just took about 15 minutes.

repped all those who replied.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A police report would not have mattered because you were going to be at fault in that report as well. Party that rear ends is always at fault.

She will probably make a medical claim on you, which she could have done even with the police report. I wouldn't be too concerned about the car damage.

No need to lose sleep over it.

9. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Ultimately, I chose to fix my car through my insurance. The damage was minor yet had to be fixed. They labeled it a "no fault" claim and noted the interaction with the other insurance and driver. I was so close to suing their pants off but decided against it. Not worth it. Lesson learned though; never leave without a police report.