1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know why people are so afraid of the situation where Capela signs the QO and gets max contract next offseason. I mean, if he plays well enough to deserve the max, isn't that a good thing? I'd be pretty happy if Capela becomes a max player this year and the Rockets give him the 5yr-max next offseason to trump all other offers.

Capela has been much better than anyone believed coming out of the draft, but he's not perfect. Which was why the Rockets went with PJ Tucker at center so much against the Warriors. If Capela can't finish the game against the Warriors, then he's not worth max. And if he ends up showing that he can this coming season, then the Rockets would feel much more comfortable giving him that money next year.

Moleb, mac_got_this and sirjesse like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The concern is that if he takes the QO he feels less sure about what the future holds, or that the Rockets didn't pay him what he was worth. So there's a chance that he is disgruntled or demotivated. Motivated generally because of a contract year, yes, motivated to give his sweat and tears to The Rockets, to his teammates, maybe not.

YOLO likes this.
  3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Capela is going down the same path as D Mo.

He’s one injury away from being a scrub center. He’s not worth the max.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

This makes no sense. If the goal is to get paid, then Capela will want to play well. The Rockets will be on the biggest stage next year. If he succeeds he will get paid by someone. If he fails he'll be paid a lot less. If he wants money he'll play well. If he sulks because he didnt' get $100mil, then the Rockets probably shouldn't be giving him $100mil in the first place.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

it makes plenty of sense. theres a difference between playing for yourself and playing for your team. You can absolutely question what his mindset is going to be if hes forced to take the QO. He could very well just play cautious enough not to get hurt bc in the back of his mind he still needs to secure a long term contract. Just bc you dont see this pov doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So in reality it does make some sense. It isn't as black and white as you seem to think it is

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I understand what you mean. I just think NBA players can be temperamental and you have to at least factor that in to your expectations and decisions as a GM. I don't think the last sentence is true. I think the way Morey treats him this summer and the way he interacts with the team this year could be causally linked.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Things are really bad if Capela sign QO.

It is much worse than you expect.

8. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I could care less about Capela right about now. He'll play for us next season, nothing else matters.

9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you didn't then why did you even post in here

theres plenty of other things that matter that could have an effect not only on capela but the team

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

If he takes QO, it will be disaster for us next season, the team like Clippers can give him max.

We need cap space to sign another all-star next summer.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

we are not heavy favorite in 2019 champ, I hope we are heavy favorite in 2020 champ.

13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

haha i don't care if we are favorites, heavy favorites or underdogs... as long as we win ;)

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

If teams are all deathly afraid of players agreeing to the qualifying offer, does this mean players should be getting more money in restricted FA?

The arguments I'm seeing here makes no sense.

"Well the Rockets need to pay Capela $100mil and not $80."
    "Why?"
    "Because he may just want to make $4mil instead. All the leverage is on Capela's side and the Rockets are screwed."

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Andrew Wiggins got 5-year Max Extension and then complained about his shots.
    John Wall got the designated player max and his whole team shaded him on not moving the ball around enough.
    Trevor Ariza didn't decide to take the playoffs off to protect himself against injuries for the offseason.

I can go on and on about this. But players who play "selfishly" don't stop playing selfishly when they get big contracts. And players who play the team game don't stop playing the team game when they don't get big bucks.

It's this type of scared mentality that has Chicago paying LaVine 78mil and Minnesota paying Wiggins $150mil for having done nothing in their careers. And I'm glad Daryl Morey isn't that stupid.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

You just tried to use guys who didn't play on QO's as some sort of connection to capela trying to get his first long term contract

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Who's contract currently in the NBA does Capela deserve?

DeAndre is getting 24M this year I think for example.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The only point I tried to make is that players don't change how they play because they're paid more or less. If Capela isn't a team player then he's not going to be a team player on $100mil contract. And vice versa.

As for needing to compare Capela to QO players, I obviously can't because most players don't take the QO because it's generally a stupid thing to do.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

and thats something you dont actually know. players can absolutely be frustrated with their $ situation and for good reason. So it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it has an effect on the court