1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only way I can agree with a 20M offer to Capela, is if he agrees to a 2 year contract. The Rockets don't have any cap room in 2019-20, irrespective of any contract offered to him. He isn't worth that much, or even 5 yrs 85 M, IMO, but a 2 yr contract shouldn't hurt our Rockets.

smoothie likes this.
  2. saleem

Yes, one would certainly want an all star/creator type for 26 M. I want nothing to do with him.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean, obviously I bow down to DM and his capabilities...

... BUT, at this point, we might be in the situation where we HAVE TO add on meaningfully overpaid players because that's all our otherwise shitty assets that we'd want to trade will get us, with those overpaid players nonetheless being very solid, valuable guys, just not otherwise wanted because of their contract.

savvy?

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong here, but from what i understand, if he signs the QO, he's unrestricted next year, meaning he can sign wherever. Chances are, if he does end up taking the QO this year, he's as good as gone next year.

Lots of teams will have cap space next year so if he doesn't get what he wants now, there's a chance that some team will offer him good money, especially if he has a good year this year.

pbthunder likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And if he confronts the "i" word, Clint is screwed. A bad bet on his part, and I don't think he'll end up taking that route. I sure as hell hope not. We need him.

waytookrzy079, da_juice and pbthunder like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No matter what the Rockets can offer Capela $25-$30 mil more than any team can next summer. If he leaves he’ll be leaving money.

7. saleem

Bravo, great point.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is smart to wait, just let the pressure add up, he can always sign the QO in January or Feb and get the year in...

DD

9. saleem

No one in their right mind will want RA. EG plus RA on paper looks good for O. Porter, but in reality, it doesn't make much of a difference. Let's suppose Ennis outplays his contract, he would be giving 70 percent, or a bit more than OP at 1/25th the cost.
    Perhaps, the Wizards may want Eric Gordon, but they won't want Ryan Anderson.

10. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I think Capela is demanding more touches..

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

So where in China does Clint play next year? Dmo Ty lawson Clint Capella... sounds like a squad in China

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

damn for a second, i saw @zeeshan2 post and thought for sure they finally came to an agreement finally :(

heypartner likes this.
  14. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't think Chinese basketball teams are allowed more than 2 foreign born players on a team. They have weird rules like that.

They don't have the worst rules though, South Korea's professional basketball league has a HEIGHT restriction on foreign born players. Similar to China, only 2 foreign born players are allowed on a squad.. IF you have two only one of them is allowed to be over 6'1". He can be over 6'1" BUT no taller than 6'6". The other foreign born player has to be under 6'1".

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If it matters: QO expires on Oct 1st.

Deuce likes this.
  16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Sorry Clint, but BJ sure is giving you a Hartenstein way to go this offseason. Could have been laying on a $90 million dollar pillow for a month now.

17. heypartner

Teams can outbid the Rockets. You're just talking Max money. If he leaves, it's because someone outbid us, which is totally possible, since he's not a legit Max player, yet.

Deckard likes this.
  18. heypartner

$5m of that offer was unlikely incentives. And the offer is for a full 5yrs.

At his age, Capela might very well not view extra discounts year for Morey as incentive. If he is going to accept $17m per yr discounts, he might prefer less yrs to become a free agent quicker. If he improves, less years is the fasttrack to more money, than giving Morey a discount for 5yrs.

Deckard and Plowman like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If he gets a max offer from a team it’s because he’s worth the max. In RFA a team offering the max is more about daring a team to let the player go. I still don’t think he gets the max because there will be about 6 players in FA better than him

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Huh when does that ever happen