1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah right. If you don't think Capela's ego is involved in this thing then you're delusional. Why would he agree to take less?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc ryno has 0 to do with CC

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'd be shocked if Capela isn't Rockets than Melo being Rockets. Whoever spilled the beans clearly want to let other teams know the price of Capela.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Keep telling yourself that.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

i sure will bc its the truth and your reasoning makes 0 sense

the only ones who think otherwise like yourself are the ones who are butthurt and jealous they aren't making that much. with that said who cares

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Capela should hire a consulting firm or find someone in Venture Capital, and run the numbers to determine if he should sign that QO. There are several teams with potential big cap space next year. If it was me and the data said to wait it out, I'd sign the QO and pull a Kawhi... half-ass my way through the season while y'all complained about it.

I have a LOT of problems with how we're handling our own free agents this offseason. But the way we are treating Capela - it is not one of them. Hardball makes sense. Not worried about how long it'll drag out.

heypartner likes this.
  7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Capela has earned $6M million over the fist four years of his career. His qualifying offer is $4million. Per most recent reports, he is staring at $85M over the next four years, which is an average of $21.25M. Let's say he takes the qualifying offer, he would have to make up $17.25M of lost earning potential to come out even. If he then gets a 4 year $100M (25M annually), he will have made $104M in five years. If he takes the Rockets offer, he will have made $85M in four years and ??? in year 5 of whatever new contract he gets.

Capela has no reason to NOT wait out Rockets, and see if they come up some more, but it's really hard to see him eventually taking the qualifying offer. There just isn't enough upside to "betting on himself" and hoping to get a bigger payday next year. He may very well get that bigger payday, but the gains he will see will only make a difference if he is unable to get another decent contract after this one. The gains shrink when you factor in the time value of money (i.e. money now is worth more than money later).

LFE171 and FLASH21 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Run it back, Clint, run it back!

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

???????

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets giving Feigen those Capela terms to publish in an effort to swing public opinion on their offer to Capela was fun.

And the offer is fair. Clearly the Rockets want to give Capela a FIVE year deal to keep the "year to year" costs down for LT purposes.

I mean, if it is a 5/85 deal. Year One could start at 15M! (then move up 16, 17,18,19). Starting at 15M in year 1 is huge for LT purposes. The Cap and LT line go up the next 2 years a fair amount. Like 8M each.

joshuaao, BigMaloe and Vivi like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So true! His FT percentage is so much lower than a lot of centers, and his inability to do much from beyond 4ft also ranks him below those he might be trying to justify such a high amount for. I wish he would simply acknowledge that he does have weaknesses in areas where other centers contribute, and take the offer we put on the table. Who knows if he will ever contribute from beyond 4 ft or be able to shoot free throws at a rate where he isn't being hacked.

12. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

25m a year is a no no. I am willing to offer 18 per yr max for 4 years.

Don't forget some of the big numbers CC had was playing next to Harden and CP3.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Let's keep going. He's not from a large basketball popular country. He's not that marketable. He doesn't attract FAs. He's can't create his own shot. Doesn't have any banana boat friends or brothers playing ball. You just can't waste money on singular players like that. Big money needs to go to big time on and OFF the court players period.

14. noppeper

noppeper Member

You make some good points, but the way you talk about "player" sounds kinda creepy.

[​IMG]

ipaman likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Won't say his name until he signs or doesn't. For now just a player who skips out on charities.

16. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

17. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

wow -

18. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

man that is just crazy. what is he thinking

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Clint can get his free throw missing azz out of Houston for 25 mil per. Please

20. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Capela just got another bullet in his negotiation gun.