1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Capela is still young , hes going to have an opportunity for another big contract in 4 years. Dont know of a ton of players getting 4/100 on their first big contract. No wonder hes not signed.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No time to read this thread . . . but you want to be the guy who finds Clint Capela, not the one who overpays him in his first real contract

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is likely not what Morey wants cause if Capela takes the qo he becomes unrestricted next summer, you don't want a player you want to keep to be pissed with you and free to sign wherever he wants at the same time.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I bet you, when Clint was looking for a team to sign him. They probably fed him bs about being worth so much more, but sadly they don't have space yet just to fk up our chemistry with him. Pretty sure we aren't giving him the fairest deal, but if his agent is bj Armstrong he just asking for it.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're not sorry.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

but i am. it sucks for him that he can't benefit from the cap rise like many of the other scrub C's did

7. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

"We find the Chandler Parsons, we don't pay the Chandler Parsons."

8. malakas

malakas Member

I think it's too soon to say for sure. For example BKN. They seem to think themselves as a star destination next year. Chicago,Phoenix..not really teams who are willing to devote in a long time rebuild plan.
    Let's see how their rookies will do next season first. If they are busts..then these teams have holes. Toronto by this time next year may look completely different than now too. And Memphis..doesn't Gasol have a player option or smth?

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

There is no way he gets 25 mil next summer. He is a really good player who gets spoon fed by two elite playmakers. I like CC a lot, but he is not THAT good. He wouldn’t have as big of an impact on a lot of other teams. The rockets need another star but I’m sorry CC is not that, but he knows rockets NEED him. The window is definitely shut without him. ....sucks to have that much tied up in and older cp3, an useless Andersen, and a role player CC.

Last year was our chance :(

Little Bit, plutoblue11 and UTSA2step like this.
  10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Are the Rockets still signing B. Wright?

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets need a C who will be a factor against the Warriors in the playoffs.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's the least of their worries

BasketballMind likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Umm, he he averaged 28 minutes a game and scored 20 points in game 7 on 9-10 shooting. He was playable, and was playable in a switching defense.

I don't know if you noticed, but a full strength Rockets switching defense, includign Capela for large stretches,was a pulled hamstrign or 15 minutes away from beating the Warriors.

It also crushed the Jazz and the Wolves

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Put this in another thread, but just for fun, lol.

Rockets trade: S&T Capela at $20 million per. Eric Gordon. 2019 first round pick, other draft pick if necessary.
    Rockets receive: Kawhi

Spurs trade: Kawhi, Pau Gasol
    Spurs receive: Capela, Dennis Schroder, Rockets 2019 first round pick, Hawks 2019 second round pick

Hawks trade: Dennis Schroder, 2019 2nd round draft pick
    Hawks receive: Eric Gordon, Pau Gasol

I'm pretty sure this works cap wise, even with Capela's BYC status. It hard caps the Spurs.

Spurs roll with: Schroder (19 ppg, 6 apg last year, decent defensively, at $15.5 million not overpaid), Green, Gay, LMA, Capela and a bench of Murray, Mills, Ginobili, Bellineli, Bertras. Pop can take that team to 55 wins principally on the back of amazing defense.

Hawks move on from Schroder who it seems they don't like, and get sharp-shooting EG who can also play defense to put next to Trae Young. They also get Pau's $16 million expiring contract.

Rockets get Kawhi. They have to replace Clint - but against the GSW you'd probably run as much small ball stuff with Tucker at C anyway. A definite starting 4 of CP3, Harden, Kawhi and Tucker is crazy good offfense and defense. Have to replace Gordon, but cross fingers for Gerald Green doing 75% of that. Only risk is Kawhi doesn't resign, but WELL worth that risk.

EDIT: Follow-up move, sign Alex Len and Melo. Hope Ryan Anderson can hit a shot.
    CP3, Harden, Kawhi, Tucker, Len, Green, MCW, Melo, Nene, youngins

#334 JayZ750, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    banzai and eric.81 like this.
  15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think morey should let his agent explore trades with teams that are willing to pay him now. That prevents him from signing the QO but also let’s capela truly gauge his true market value by tapping teams that can go over the cap to pay him now.

We’d get some assets now and Capela gets to find a team willing to pay him max money. If his agent can’t find anyone then that should reset his expectations on what he can truly get.

16. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

This is a good point. Morey likes to buy time and flexibility. Morey always plays for February. He don't really care about opening day. We're still a pretty solid top 3 team in the west. Who knows what will happen?

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, everything can happen, but unless Ayton, Allen and Carter turn out as complete busts, i just don't see those teams going after Capela, those guys would've to play ala Kwame Brown or Milicic to see that happen imo.

Toronto just changed the coach and looking at the East they might finally be in the conference finals, not sure Masai will blow up the team if that happens, and even in that scenario he should just rebuild, swapping Derozan or Lowry for i don't know what won't get them anywhere anyway.

Gasol yeah, he has a player option, in fact i'm really curious to see what's going to happen with that, are the Grizzlies going to offer him an extension? Is he going to sign it? I can also see him bolt if they'll end up with a horrible season...not sure he's going to get 25M again though...

#337 Vivi, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    malakas likes this.
  18. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

100m/4yrs?

At least 70 he hasn’t proven to be all that reliable when it matters. Plus most of his points came of on pnr. McGee could do the same job as Capela.

I wouldn’t go higher than 70m and if he thinks he will get 100m he needs a reality check unless he proves he is worth it next season. I mean if he would dunk every time instead of laying it up. And if he would shoot better freethrows maybe 80m. He can’t even score on his own. Most of the time when he tried he loses the ball lr takes a bad shot.

Worst case we sign Alex Len or Greg Monroe:p

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not saying he shouldn't do that. but getting 5M next season vs something like 18M means he has to hope his next contract beats our offer by 13M. if we offer something fair like 4/72, then he better be sure he's getting 4/85 or he's losing out in total. and he also is securing 72M guaranteed vs 5M guaranteed and then hoping things work out. he's a really good player (which is why i hope we sign him to a long term contract b/c i'm getting sick of tilman forgetting where his checkbook is) and so he'll probably get a really good deal in a more open market (but with more players in the market after all these 1 year deals this year), but you never know. he could get 5M, get injured or look bad, and then get 3/25 or something.

all things considered if i were capela i'd be signing whatever 4 year contract i can squeeze out of the rockets vs betting on myself. i'll bet on myself after i have 70+ million guaranteed.

Crashlanded19 and Deckard like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he plays next year for 1 year for $5 million and then signs for 4 for 85 as UFA he made $90m over 5 years and becomes a free agent again at age 32.
    If he signs this year for 4 for $72 he gets another crack at free agency at age 31.

The real bet to be made is on what his market looks like after this next contract.

Crashlanded19 likes this.