1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can you be a Christian and Support the Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MR. MEOWGI, Dec 13, 2005.

?

Can you be a Christian and Support the Death Penalty?

1. yes

56.9%
  2. no

43.1%
  1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

So Jesus Christ, the son of God, Savior of the world, was killed by means of the death penalty.

While hanging on the cross he said "Father forgive them for they know not what they do".

So I am wondering how does a Christian possibly support the death penalty when their own savior was crucified by man?

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

We are eternally grateful he was crucified cruelly and unjustly by man, since He did it for our salvation and all who will believe.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

it would seem that 'technically", if you supported the death penalty, you would not be a christian, at least not in my understanding.

4. MR. MEOWGI

So would you kill him if you had the chance?

5. droxford

droxford Member

Yes, we can be Christian and support the death penalty. We're just hypocritical Christians when we do so.

I'll confess to being one of those hypocritical Christians. I believe that God doesn't want us to execute criminals.

But, contrary to God's will, I believe, at times, they should be killed.

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

It was my fault if that is what you mean.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

First, it would seem a prerequisite that one would profess a belief in Christ as their Savior and Lord before answering this.

And furthermore, the Bible backs up the death penalty... in Judaic law, and in post Christian times.

So yes. On two fronts.

8. insane man

insane man Member

does the belief in christ render the legal implications of the old testament moot?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Eye for an Eye is so old school....

I think I read this from one of those Christian pamphlets...

"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will laso forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matt, 6:14-15)

We, at least, don't live under kings or dictators. There's a great window for public action in laws concerning the death penalty, so there's no moral excuse in hiding behind government sanctioned murder.

Tookie may not have repented, but we have removed any possibility for that. One could argue compassion from the savings in government resources he and other Death Row inmates burn yearly, but that's the result of the penal system we defined.

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I voted yes primarily to see how the poll was playing out but honestly I'm not sure either . From what I understand the Old Testament would say yes but again it seems that "Turn the other cheek" would overrule that.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree with this statement.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Turn the other cheek means to find no offense or guilt. You can debate on how far you would like to take this proverb. I don't intend on turning my cheek to a murder.

I support the death penalty if a person is a risk of further killing someone else, regardless of the circumstance.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Why not just lock him up without parole and save the government some cash while you're at it?

It's possible to seperate the hardcore criminals from the general prison population, and restrict their access to reach the outside world and prevent them from making any actions by proxy.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yes, it is. And that option means the state (and all of us) doesn't become a murderer too.

I would love to hear MadMax's take on this.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Oh, except the last part.

16. MR. MEOWGI

I don't know how serious you are with that reply but I like it.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can you be a death penalty and support a Christian?

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Incidentally, the poll question's a little useless in a way. It could also say "Can you be a Christian and support pedophilia?" or "Can you be a Christian and support abortion rights?" or "Can you be a Christian and support birth control?" or "Can you be a Christian and support gay rights?" or "Can you be a Christian and support pre-emptive war?" or "Can you be a Christian and support cuts in services to the poor and cuts in taxes for the rich?" The answer in each case would be yes, because Christianity is about absolving sins, even though support of each of the things above is, apparently, considered sinful by Christians. So...

Pedophilia, abortion, condoms, homosexuality, preemptive war (or really war of any sort), aiding the rich, failing to aid the poor and the death penalty, or support of any of those things, is un-Christian. But, according to Christianity, you can be forgiven for indulging in or supporting any of those things, as long as you honestly and truly promise to never do it again.

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Actually, the question should be worded "Can you be a Christian and support the death penalty without being inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus".

Well, no surprise that Borracho voted no. Batman, you just wanted to take the opportunity to throw in our faces that you believe that the Christians who lead this country engage in the ridiculous acts that you listed. Nice! Do you dislike Christians?

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Now that you're done ranting for no particular reason, care to actually answer the question?