1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Can VanVleet excel in Udoka’s switching defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Feigen wrote, “At just 6-0, he does not offer the switching ability defensively that Rockets coach Ime Udoka used extensively with the Celtics.”

I haven’t been able to find much on this, other than the Raptors have done well defensively against the Warriors, who often require a switching defense and what the previous competitive Rockets team was wholly committed to. I did read VanVleet did well against taller players (other than centers I would assume), but what is the basis for Feigen making such a bold statement? I did also read VanVleet does well in PnR and blowing up screens, so possibly able to prevent the switches in the first place.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

FVV is great as an off ball defender, puts pressure on and good at steals. Should be fine.

roslolian, NewAge, lakersuck2 and 3 others like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is a smart defender for his size.

I am happier and happier about the signing.

Sengun and van Vleet = Jokic and Murray.

And we still have Tari, Jalen, Jabari, Amen, Whitmore, TyTy...and maybe even Garuba and Martin...and maybe even Brook Lopez.

We will be a contender under Udoka. Not only a playoff team. A contender. If not this coming season, then the season after that.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’s like arguing if we should have a traditional PG or not. Even with a non traditional offense like the Suns will have, that’s a question with Devin Booker too. It’s a question with CP3 and the Warriors too.

I’m not worried about FVV and his defensive liabilities because we are so far away from worrying about post season margins to advance in a 7 game series. FVV is here to provide stability on and off the court and maybe win some more regular season games. I won’t feel the least bit disappointed if we are in the playoffs and FVV is on the bench because of defensive schemes. If we get there with this lot, the FVV contract worked.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My guess - absent other player additions - Rockets go from 29th in defense to mid 20s, just by virtue of slightly higher effort rather than scheme or Vanvleet.

roslolian, DaDakota and Rocket River like this.
  6. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

This is a video on Toronto’s ‘switch everything’ defense with VanVleet which I believe switches even more than the previous Rockets playoff teams designed to switch:

roslolian and SamFisher like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

One thing in my mind is he’ll be better for our defense than Harden would. Watching Harden on defense in Philly agaisnt Boston ensured in my mind that I wasn’t with him coming back to play freedom ball and still be noncommittal on defensive rotations.

roslolian and Madmanmetz like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

VanVleet has done well when switched on to bigger perimeter players. He's a lot like a younger CP3 in that way. A small guard with good hands but strong enough to not be pushed around easily.

But, I don't think Udoka ever intended to make switching defense the base plan with the Rockets. It doesn't really match our current roster (Green/Sengun) or our free agent targets (Lopez). You don't go after a guy like Brook Lopez, one of the best rim protectors in the league and make him switch out on guards the whole game. You want him patrolling the paint. And, we don't have guards like Harden and Gordon anymore that you're ok with switching on bigs. FVV at 6' is probably the strongest of the bunch.

roslolian likes this.
  9. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s why we need a new big. FVV can only do so much. Hopefully it’ll get addressed today

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Udoka hardly invented switching defense.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You grow with what you have and I guess he is better used in Pick and Roll Defense and flat out pestering other guards.

Maybe pretend to be Drake and rap a tad.

12. NewAge

NewAge Member

FVV is a tough dude, and he likes to disrupt the transition. Top 10 in NBA in STL%.
    FVV/Eason/Whitmore would be a highly disruptive perimeter lineup

roslolian likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am interested

Rocket River

roslolian likes this.