1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can this Hypothetical Starting 5 go 82-0?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 14, 2020.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We have no basketball season, so we must fantasize.

1. What starting 5, using only peak years for each player, would be the most unbeatable team ever assembled?
    2. Could they go 82-0 over the course of an NBA season?

Rules
    1. You are using players at their peak - i.e. Michael Jordan from 1990, Lebron from 2008, etc.
    2. You assume no injuries
    3. Forget about a bench for now

My Starting 5

PG: Steph Curry: 2015 (3-point shooting at a .450 clip, 8 assists per game) (considered 2005 Steve Nash, but defense held me back)
    SG: Michael Jordan: 1988 (truly a complete player: points, defense, steals, assists)
    SF: Kevin Durant 2013 (Shooting, defense, height lets you go a little smaller at the PF position)
    PF: Lebron James: 2008 (similar argument to 1988 Jordan - complete player)
    C: Hakeem Olajuwon 1990 (need the defense, 2000 Shaq was considered but the free throws and conditioning could hurt)

Could a team with Shaq at C, Tim Duncan at PF, and 3 sharpshooters (2005 Steve Nash, Larry Bird or Kawhi Leonard, 2002 TMac) beat this team?

Could a team with a great facilitator like 2005 Steve Nash, paired with competitors like Kobe, Barkley, and Kevin Garnett beat this team?

KingCheetah and BaselineFade like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure about best team, but creating an 82-0 team would go like this, for me.

Take the 73-9 Warriors, and make the following tweaks
    • Put prime Bill Walton in starting lineup, instead of Bogut ... cut Speights
    • Bench Harrison Barnes for Pippen ... cut Brandon Rush
    I think that would do it. Those two changes would not affect proven 73-win chemistry. Walton is an HOFer version of Bogut ... better passer, too. And Pippen would fit right in, and fill holes they had in the games when Iggy and/or Barnes were out.

Oh, and I'd sign Larry Bird to a 10-day contract for the 2 games Curry was out in December ... covering one of the nine losses. Or maybe Prime Steve Kerr would work ... :)

#2 heypartner, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  3. Fefo

Fefo Member

no team in the nba can go 82 and 0 . With the level of talent that its avaible it only takes a hot night from team and a cold one from another and you lost to the kings.
    Thats why only 2 team in nba HISTORY have ever gone 70 or more wins.
    And a Duncan, Shaq team plus shooters will beat them at least 35 % of the time.

Patience and plutoblue11 like this.
  4. Mr. Space City

Gary Payton
    Michael Jordan
    Kawhi Leonard
    Kevin Garnett
    Hakeem Olajuwon

That's basically the best defensive team ever while also having an elite offensive team as well.

To even possibly go 82-0, you would have to be an all-time great defensive team, because you're gonna have nights where you struggle offensively and you're gonna need to clamp down defensively to come out with a W when you should lose.

5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Dunno about year but current top 5 if everyone is healthy: Steph Curry-James Harden-LeBron James-Kevin Durant-Anthony Davis

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't have any sort of stats to back me up or anything, but I feel like Lebron's peak defense rivals Kawhi's peak defense. And because Lebron is better than Kawhi all-around, I'd slot him in over Kawhi in that lineup.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Stockton
    Miller
    Bird
    Duncan
    Shaq

If that team goes against the OP's team, it would win half the time. The immediate question is how does Duncan defend LeBron, but if he isn't playing in the LeBron offense his impact would be minimized. In that way, Duncan's defensive assignment could actually be the easiest. On the other end, LeBron would have no answer to Duncan. Stockton would make life hell for a softy like Curry and Curry would not be able to stop him from doing what he does best. Miller never beat Jordan, he couldn't defend Jordan, but he was never scared of him and is someone who doesn't need the ball to succeed. Hakeem beat Magic Shaq who gave Dream way too much respect and wasn't ready anyway. Even then, Shaq didn't fold against him. Bird would have his way against Durant and would make Duncan and Shaq even more lethal much like he did with McHale and Parish.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Harden
    Kobe
    Kawhi
    Duncan
    Shaq

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

2018 Scott Foster
    2018 Tony Brothers
    2002 Dick Bavetta
    2005 Ken Mauer
    2019 Zach Zarba

Corrosion, slothy420, msn and 5 others like this.
  10. BleedsRocketRed

6th (Wo)Man: 2003 Violet Palmer

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

can mike the anthony and his championship level timeouts and in-game adjustments be coach?

12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I'd say LeBron is a better all around player but isn't as defensively locked in (had the capability to be better) as Kawhi. Kawhi is a better complimentary player who can be extremely effectively on any team and can play off the ball significantly better than LeBron can.

Defense and 3pt shooting is in Kawhi's favor while LeBron dominates in everything else, if you want a LeBron who can play along side some other ball dominating players you have to pick the Miami Heat LeBron over the early Cavalier's one.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1967-68 Wilt Chamberlain
    2015-16 Draymond Green
    1970-71 John Havlicek
    2015-16 Klay Thompson
    1994-95 John Stockton

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's an interesting approach. Not ignoring the existing chemistry of an already proven team. Would you still go with that lineup if your team had to compete against, let's say, the rules and teams of 1988?

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Some interesting commentary and I do think in my original post, I focused too much on superstars and not enough on chemistry and roles of each player. You don't need 30ppg scorers at every position... but you do want efficiency at every position. And the posters who have emphasized defense are quite smart. In the statistical work I have done on NBA over/unders, the influence of defense is highly overlooked by the gambling community (and by fans at large). Offense is more memorable and more exciting, but when a good defense team plays a good offense team, more times than not, the good defensive team controls the pace of the game.

In looking at defensive win shares, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain dominate, but I believe strongly that the quality of play has improved dramatically over time, making it difficult to include them on the team. Prime Hakeem, prime Dwight Howard (pre-mental problems), Tim Duncan, 2003 Ben Wallace, prime Patrick Ewing, and Kevin Garnett all deserve consideration. Larry Bird is one of the all time defensive greats as well, as measured by defensive win shares. Other highly rated defensive wings include Scottie Pippen and Shawn Marion.

A potential revision might be:
    PG: Stockton
    SG: Jordan
    SF: Durant
    PF: Duncan
    C: Olajuwon

A potential weakness with this lineup is that you've only got two 3-point shooters (Stockton and Durant)... but the defense would be lockdown.

D'Antoni's 150 points/game lineup

PG: 2005 Steve Nash
    SG: 2018 James Harden
    SF: 1988 Larry Bird
    PF: 2005 Dirk Nowitzki
    C: 2013 Kevin Durant

BaselineFade likes this.
  16. Fefo

Fefo Member

You realize theres only 1 ball right? and that backcourt alone needs 2. Teams need to make sense in order to function, is not only about the individual talent of each guy.

Lurch likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol you dont think harden can be as good a pg as the pure pgs of today?

18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

My lineup is pretty close to your revision. I would just replace Duncan with Bird. Surrounding Dream and MJ with 3 snipers is my reasoning. The defense would drop off some but not enough to offset what Bird could stretching the floor and playmaking on the other end.

Stockton
    MJ
    KD
    Bird
    Dream

19. Fefo

Fefo Member

Of course not. Harden is a great scorer. But his to to assist ratio is not impressive. He doesn't run an offensive set, like, cp3 for example. He runs iso, breaks the D and then either he scores or pass to an open teammate, wich he is good, coz he's got great vision.
    He doesn't play off the ball, and him and kobe would be a terrible pairing. He is got a scorer mentality, not a pass first mentality and kobe is exactly the same. Imagine being Duncan on this team and waiting for the ball, just never get to touch it haha.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Magic
    Jordan
    Lebron
    Durant
    Olajuwon

I think this team would have a solid shot.

BaselineFade likes this.