1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the best high school team beat the worst college team?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by El Hijo de Odio, Jan 8, 2014.

?

Can the best high school team beat the worst college team?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. El Hijo de Odio

I'm wondering if some of the best high school football teams can defeat any of the worst college football teams.

For example, Katy Tigers vs. Georgia State Panthers (finished 0-12 and only winless team in Division 1 FBS) or Columbia Lions or Austin Peay (both are winless in Div. 1 FCS)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Absolutely not.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably; it's all juniors and seniors starting varsity, and they'll be running up the score on those cats in two years anyway. Considering all the factors that go into a team's performance: conditioning, recruiting or multi-year talent development, strategy and disciplined execution, the worst college team has to be failing at quite a few of those things moreso than the best high school team. No reason to assume the worst team necessarily has athletes who played quality football or any ball at all in high school.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No high school team is beating any D1 (FBS or FCS) team that is chalk full of high school standouts on scholarships.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, they could hold a candle to the worst D2, D3, or JuCo team.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Doubt it, but in basketball the answer is hell yes.

6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

D1, no. D3, definitely.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you're playing college football at any competitive level in college, the chances are nearly 100% that those players played football in high school. There may be a handful of people in the nation about who this isn't true, but no way it's an entire team.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Depends what level. Certainly not D1, but D3? Against the best high school team there is? I bet it'd at least be a ball game.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Having said that...the college team would be the heavy favorite.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

D3 and maybe even some D2 teams that just have a bunch of walk-ons who played some high school football but weren't good enough to get scholarships maybe but definitely not D1.

In basketball, absolutely. I bet Lebron's high school team probably could have made at least the NIT.

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yeah, but the vast majority of them were not capable of playing D1 (Why they are in D3). If we're talking about the best high school teams (The Allens, Katy's, etc...), some of those schools are fielding 6-10 D1 players a season (juniors and seniors).

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I always laugh when this type of discussion comes up.

Could the worst NFL team lose to the best college team?

No, the worst NFL team has 53 NFL players. The best college team may have 5-6 NFL ready players per season. Just apply that to any level of football and repeat.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I agree that a college team could never compete with the worst NFL team, but I think it would be different when comparing high school to college. He said the worst college team. I'm guessing the worst team is full of scrubs that wouldn't sniff the varsity squad at a school like Katy. I think the HS team would win easily.

Obviously they would get destroyed by any decent team, but the worst college team in the nation?

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think the disparity between the NFL and college is higher than that between college and high school. Lower level NFL teams still hold as high a standard as the best NFL teams, and the best athletes are willing to play anywhere. The worst college programs have completely different priorities and resources than the best.

16. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bama had almost or more than 30 one season, regardless, they would never have a chance against worst NFL teams.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You seemed to specify FCS, so no.

These schools have recruited and given athletic scholarships to players who excelled in high school.

If you mean d-3 schools comprised of random walk on's from a student body smaller than big high schools, than yes

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I think the BEST HS teams could easily beat the WORST D3 or similar level school. Obviously not the community colleges or JUCO's that get Cam Newton for a short term rental, but we're talking about the worst. I see kids at the gym that play at this level and I'm bigger than them. Hell, there's a few high school football players at the gym bigger than them. A lot of these guys were probably only average players in HS that are just playing for the love of the sport or to keep the dream alive.

For example, I don't think this school would beat the top TX/FL/CA HS football teams... in fact, they might get blown out: http://www.nicholsathletics.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=114&path=football

They lost 48-0 to MIT. LOL MIT???