1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I smoke yet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You are the devil.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

ah geez not this **** again

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no wonder you've been so moody...well more than usual.

i'd try to battlefight it out for the recommended time period. Find your triggers and avoid them, coffee, booze, etc. After eating is usually the hardest part, but try just going for a walk after you eat.

Just try to keep yourself busy. I would recommend staying away from reading my posts though, since they seem to work you up so much.

4. Batman Jones

I only drink one cup of coffee a day now (way down from what I used to do) and I don't drink booze ever. And I already try to avoid your posts. Also, 'after eating' isn't such a problem since I can hardly eat at all and solid foods are to be avoided entirely. But I cannot really keep myself busy or go for a walk. Bed rest is part of the doctor's orders and I already have enough work to do that I'm up and around more than I should be. Thanks for the advice though. Sincerely.

This doesn't suck anywhere near as much as my ankle surgery did. Of course that pain was much worse and lasted much longer but it's also much easier now to understand that the bad thing happens and then it's over. I'm just waiting it out now.

5. Batman Jones

I'm always moody. I have bipolar I. That's the main symptom.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hey, if i can hold back my urge to post the Nelson "Ha Ha" picture in this thread, you can hold back your urge to not smoke a few extra days and hopefully quit.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Light up a fat doob and listen to some Dylan.

Sorry to hear about the breakup... Hopefully it all works out for the best.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You should use gum instead of a patch. The nicotine release is variable and controlled by the user. The patch is a perfect flat line and better for weeks after your last cigarette, gum is better for the first few days I would think.

first 72 hours is the hardest.

9. Batman Jones

Thanks, man. Fat doobs are also smoking though. And I only listen to Elliott Smith anymore.

10. Batman Jones

I just can't stand the gum. It tastes like pepper is burning my mouth. I was using lozenges which are pretty good but I prefer to just put on the patch and try to forget about it. It was easy for a day, not so bad for two but now it's starting to get to me.

It's always been my experience that the first 72 hours are the hardest too. Luckily I've only got 19 to go.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Here's some real dental advice...not sure why your dentist asked if you could wait at least 24 hours. Thats way too early to be smoking.

My rule of thumb is this...you should wait one week...but if you absolutely must, then 72 hours is the magic mark.

12. Batman Jones

I appreciate the sentiment but the Nelson pic wouldn't bother me at all in this thread. Of course, I doubt you're as addicted to the Nelson pic as I am to Kools.

13. Batman Jones

72 hours it is then. Thanks, dawg.

I'm replying to every single post! Look, I'm giddyup!

14. Bandwagoner

I've never smoked but chewed nicotine gum a a couple of times when coffee stopped working. Try a different brand or flavor. Just bite it a few times and let it sit in the back of your mouth. Then bite when you need more.

15. Batman Jones

I'm okay with the patch. If you've never smoked, never do. It'll get a real hold on you.

16. Bandwagoner

Yeah I know. Nicotine gets a bad rep based on all of the stuff tobacco companies have done to cigs to make them so addictive.

The drug itself isn't any more addictive than caffeine if used in a gum or drink.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what if you just took a couple drags every few hours to tide you over? you obviously dont want to be smoking a pack a day right now, but how much damage can a couple cigs a day do?

i dont smoke tobacco, but i would take a few puffs a day of the herbals right after i got my wisdom teeth pulled. the trick is to pucker up your mouth so you block the smoke from getting to the holes. or just put some gauze over the hole before smoking. or just stop being such a nancy and go light one up!

18. Batman Jones

That is the first time that logic has worked on me. Nice work.

I'm jamming it with gauze and taking a drag or two. If that gives me dry socket I would've gotten it by waiting 17 more hours and going back to my regular habit anyway.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You work in theater, 9 out of 10 people you work around probably have a vaporizer. :p

Don't listen to too much Elliott, I don't want you to hang yourself in a closet.

20. Batman Jones

Every time I get ready to do it somebody else posts a dry socket horror story on my FB page. I can hang on til tomorrow. And even then I will have a couple of few a day instead of my usual 3 packs, for a week at least. They say dry sockets are a days-long pain for which there is no pain killer, involving multiple painful procedures. I don't want that. I'm wearing a damn patch anyway. I had to quit for a month because the bone in my leg wasn't growing back after my ankle surgery and was even eroding. I did that with Chantix (never again). I can do 3 days with a patch.