1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

His one on one defense is already good and he is definitely putting in the effort. He gambles too much right nos and that is what Ime is trying to school him on. He needs to pick his time to gamble and that will come with time. Loved his dawg last game. Ime is handling him well.

tycoonchip, RudyTBag and Tankeio like this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I like watching Cam so much that before he was in the rotation, if we were obviously losing the game I hoped for that one last spurt by the opponents to hasten a long garbage time so Cam could play.

Tankeio likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Really nice post mirrors my thoughts. Cam works super well into a lineup w/Amen and Sengun. Only caveat is out of the other two guys one of them has to be a little bit of a creator.

4. kpdark

kpdark Member

5. kpdark

kpdark Member

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If Cam was smarter he can be like Anthony Edwards

harold bingo and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't fully agree with that, Miller is putting up 14 on 12 shots. He's taking more shots off the dribble, but he's not makin 'em. Cam can make that many too if we could allow it.

If Miller were a Rocket, he would be doing exactly what Cam is doing - mostly assisted catch and shoot. They have no choice but to let Miller take these shots, their season is flushed.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

From his interviews, he seems smart enough. Certainly sounds more well-spoken than Jalen.

Easy, BamBam and ROXTXIA like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Corrosion, OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

More Whitmore!!!

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What if the game is Limbo?

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i feel like refs are going to start calling his weird power hop gather dribble thing he does on 90% of his drives.

man needs to learn the Euro -step.. but maybe that's kind of the type athleticism he actually lacks. I just want him to start to diversify his approach because team's are going to start reviewing the tape and making adjustments. right now it's stepback 3 or power drive to the rack.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup for a 19 year old kid its very impressive. you're definitely not going to see many being able to come in immediately with his ability to score and do it efficiently which is key. Anyone can just chuck and jack up shots. the difference is always going to be how efficient it can be done and separates the bad players.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Theyre rookies so I wouldnt judge their efficiency today. Miller's game is Paul George like. He's a slasher/wing and is likely going to be a better player off the dribble and off the DHO to Cam who seems like a better spot up shooter and general bowling ball with arms and legs.

I still like Cam overall but I think they're both All Star locks in the future. They're just different players with different strengths. Rockets still need a Miller like player. So Sheppard/Williams is fine for me. I like that Cody is the brother of Jalen who's a great player already. A future of Amen/Cam/Williams/Jabari/Sengun is potent.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah but I almost like his simple approach to his offense. He will eventually have to diversify when the defense adjusts. Both KPJ and Green are victims of trying to do too much and going nowhere on offense.

Cam just bombs it from deep or bulldoze into the lane with 100% confidence, and somehow he's pretty efficient

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He takes on the contact, seeks it out....both KPJ and Green started out avoiding it.

KPJ changed that last year and his numbers went way up, still waiting on Green to do the same.

DD

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm talking about his playing style which is out of control at times. He needs to take what the defense gives him and that includes passing the ball from time to time

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

well we do have to take into account what clearly his job is when they put him in the game. And that's to score the ball. And he's doing it better than anyone pretty much expected. If this wasn't his clear role right now and what he should be doing, he would have been benched a long time ago or not even playing. Folks keep bringing up pass but obviously it hasn't been an issue for anyone on the team, since everyone understands what he's supposed to do when he's on the floor. He's doing exactly what they're asking him to do and that's stick to his #1 strength right now. He's just flat out instant offense

Corrosion likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am curious to see his role change in the future.

He always does his thing, but I’d love to see him find some chemistry next to Alperen, to see how that would look. Alperen would probably LOVE to have Cam as a shooting release valve when the defense collapses.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Keep him away from Cam.