1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

call to ministry?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paikj83, Oct 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. paikj83

paikj83 Contributing Member

i'm at a point in my life where i feel God is calling me to go into ministry fulltime. of course, this is something that has been on my mind for a while now, and lately it's been coming back to me more and more often. i know there are a few of you who serve fulltime, whether as pastors or what have you. i guess i'm curious to know how you knew that the calling was true, and not something out of selfish intents.

to give a bit of background, i currently serve in youth ministry as a worship leader and small group leader. i love my youth group to death. it's where i personally found a renewed sense of church, and i hold it very close to my heart. and on the aspect of worship ministry, it's something i've been involved in for the past 11 years or so. i also went on a mission trip in nicaragua this summer, where my eyes were opened a LOT more to the meaning of church. that, as well as the hillsong conference i attended in london, and the recent event we just had - http://www.foryouallday.com - it's just been a crazy year for me.

i haven't talked to my pastor about it because he's visiting the school we've built in nicaragua, but i figure i can still ask around.

so whatcha got for me?

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

misleading thread title

[​IMG]

3. paikj83

uhm... ok?

:confused:

4. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about Ministry too.

5. paikj83

/cry

well, apologies to those who thought that. i hadn't even realized there was a band named that. but out of curiosity, if i were referring to the band, how the heck do you interpret the thread title? "call to ministry?" doesn't seem to make much sense in that regard.

boy did this thread get derailed quick. hopefully someone will post something i'm looking for. :D

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I've never felt the call to ministry, but I've thought about it a lot. To me there would be nothing more rewarding than to live my life with the sole purpose of spreading a message of love and hope. In high school it was something I thought about immensely, but continued thought and prayers lead me in other directions.

This call can be richly fulfilling and it's cool you're thinking about it. Basically right now just pray about it...there's not much more to do. I feel God laying things on my heart mostly during corporate and personal worship, and it can be a very powerful thing. He'll guide you in the right direction, just stay the course and pray fervently.

Hope everything works out!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just hang up, go get a beer and get laid...it will pass.

Just kidding

DD

8. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

All christians are called into ministry. Find out which ministry God has prepared for you:

-continue bible study
    -fast and pray
    -communicate with your church family, especially with the pastor

If you search for His will, He will make it clear (This BBS is not going to help you nearly as much as people who know you can help.)

I've been jokingly told by some missionaries and church-planting pastors that if you don't want to do what you know is the right thing to do, it's probably what God wants you to do. Faith is realized in action.

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Should've use the [GOD] or [RELIGION] or [<><] tag! LOL!

10. paikj83

hahaha that's awesome! [<><]

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

There was a point in my life where I felt called; fact I think most people of strong religious convictions go through some soul searching like this. Ultimately I decided against preisthood or the monastery cause I wanted a family more. You got to do what you feel compelled to do....do a lot of praying and make sure its the right decision.

On a side note, I had a friend who recently (the past year or so) gave up his entire life, even his family, to become a Hindu saint. I dunno if I'll ever see him again, don't think he'll even see his family again...but I definitely respect the decision and sacrifices he made for his faith and beliefs.

12. DaDakota

Wow, how selfish.

DD

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice shot of Al.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Not selfish, when you consider he is saving humanity!

15. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

you should read Poisonwood Bible before you go

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Depends...what's the going rate for this "ministry" you speak of? ;)

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

sorry - i was just having fun. i really did think it was a thread about the band though :D .

if you want my 2 cents, follow your heart (as cheesy as that sounds). sounds like you already made up your mind - go for it.

just dont play the band ministry for your kids!

18. prs325

prs325 Member

Being in the ministry is definitely a calling and its only revealed through personal searching. And since the ministry is not a place to gain financial stability, increase job security, reduce stress or lessen workload, a higher power must have the sovereignty to have ordained you for His service.

In other words, you have to be called in order to be to be effective!!! And if indeed God is pressing your heart and you consequently pursue this calling, even if things are stacked against you, youll have that peace that passes all understanding. Thats faith.

19. DaDakota

As a hero?

Or by leaving his family, he is saving humanity?

DD

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Its actually a big issue in my family as well. A very close family friend recently left his family to become a hindu sadhu in the himalayas.

You can look at it both ways. It's an incredible sacrifice since he is giving up all material items and every possession he owns as well as cutting off all ties with his family. Its a sacrifice that almost everyone on this board simply could not do. At the very least, I know I could never ever do something like that.

At the same time, he is leaving his family and the family just lost his wife due to a terminal illness and it almost seems like he is running away from the problem and the issue of her death and how it has affected the family.

People in India generally approach these things very differently from people in the West. In traditional Indian culture, a teacher/saint is given the highest respect in society (even above your parents). And a lot of people consider it the greatest honor if a family member goes and becomes a sadhu. It's a large culture gap that needs to be evaluated from the lens of the average Indian rather than our own.