1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a New Car

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SirIvyLeague, Oct 21, 2017.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Anyone know any good tricks about timing of this.

Like when 2019 models come out in 2018, and when do 2018 models start getting the boot and when to swipe in and take them?

Prices vary state to state by a large degree in some models. I'll be straight, I'm looking for a new truck. I like F150s and Toyota Tundras, I want 4 door, Nav, Leather, and Sun/Moonroof. I'm looking for used, maybe 15,000 miles or less, and no older than 2016. What's the best way to search for this?

I don't care about color, I intend to get it plasti-dipped.

SIL

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

New models usually come out in late summer and the old models are clearanced then. You'll find good financing rates for clearance cars from August to October.

Each model will likely have its own forum. Check those for prices that others have paid for similar packages.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

^ Yup, best deals on new cars are usually last years models that they are trying to move before they get in new models. Look for some 2016's and see if they have any with large discounts.

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

My dude @mig0s drives a 99 Honda Civic salvage title with a racing spoiler

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I found this trick on a Toyota Tacoma forum: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/so-you-want-to-buy-a-tacoma.475482/

I haven't done it myself because I'm not ready to buy yet, but will be trying soon. Apparently the hard work pays off, and many on that forum have vouched for his method

So basically it consists of the following:
    • Go to a dealership, find the exact car/truck you want (color, model, extras, etc.).
      • Take a picture / write down the Vehicle ID on the sticker pricing info on the car (dealerships have the Vehicle ID in their systems so they know what model, color, extras, etc. that you want)
    • Go home and create a brand new email account (it is important to create a new / fake email address)
    • Locate all of the dealerships within the distance you are willing to travel (i.e.: I'm willing to go from Corpus - San Antonio - Austin - Waco - DFW to pick up the car i want)
    • Using the Vehicle ID on pricing sticker, email (using the new / fack email address) the hundreds of dealerships you are willing to drive out to, using a email template you've created discussing the vehicle you want
    • Filter out all the emails and find the best price. Then negotiate
    More specific details on how to do this in the link

EDIT: Just saw that you are looking for a used car. This only works for a brand new car

#5 TMac'n, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    SirIvyLeague likes this.
  6. what

what Member

Buy a used car, better value and save the extra money for something else.

New cars wont be new after a few months you get scraches on it, little parking lot dents, but your payments are like a nagging wife, always on thier job.

Getting a car with 10,000 miles or less will save you a ton of money and you still have a warranty on it.

7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

That's what I'm doing. 15k or less miles, 1-2 years old.

My big thing is how do I work down price. I'm thinking of literally searching the entire country, and making the mark off of that. I live in Cali, so if I see a truck I like online in Texas that's 6k cheaper and costs 1-1.5k to tport, then I'll ask the local dealer to match maybe.

We'll see. I'm buying a new one pending a new job offer and that's the first thing.

SIL

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Buy a Tesla. Save on gas. Profit enormously.

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Theres no profit in owning a Tesla lol.

It's a hedge against my job, I guess. But you don't make money ordering a Tesla. I hope you're joking.

SIL

peleincubus likes this.
  10. likestohypeguy

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dear God why

Sajan likes this.
  12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I like the black matte look.

SIL