1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a new car & finding out the "real price"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emoreland, Aug 20, 2012.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Why do you care what the dealer paid? You'll never be able to find true cost because it is different for every dealer.

Like others have said, find the best deal for you. Don't worry about their profit.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I use eBay to get the best deal. It is usually cheaper the other sights with the exception of usaa which its usually slightly under ussa's price. Find the exact model you want with the buyitnow price and use that as your bargining point. Also sometimes dealing with the Internet manager is better than a salesman and sometimes not. I've had mixed results with each within the same dealership. I guess it just depends on who's hungrier.

3. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

First of all Im buying new, not used. Also, I have been looking at what the used ones sell for and they are only a couple thousand dollars cheaper than a new one! I can get a 2007 with 80k miles for 24,000 or I can get a 2012 with 15 miles for 26,000. I think I will stick with new.

I dont care what they make...I care about what I pay. I just think that the more information I have the better position I will be in to negotiate.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Just play hardball with them. If you are willing to pay sticker, then you can get it for sticker. Just don't be afraid to walk out. Don't be afraid to remind them that the 2013 models are right around the corner.

Most recent vehicle purchase I made, I went in, I made one low ball offer, and they said they couldn't do it, they weren't willing to come off their $13k price. I made my 2nd offer and told them I will pay $11K and that is my final offer. Guy came back and said something like $11,250, and I told him my final offer is $11K, take it or leave it. Congratulations on your new van (used really).

5. Buck Turgidson

Banks and dealers use "loan value" or "left-of-book" kbb figures to determine price, numbers not available in the consumer version of the kbb. You can get a great deal on a quality used vehicle if you have access to that. Try being very nice and friendly to your local loan officer.

6. emoreland

Anything I do is gonna be a cash deal because i can get a better deal that way I think. The sticker is 25,895 and he said the "best price" in the state of Texas would be 23,900. He said that I could take that to any dealership around and he would be the lowest. I have tried and so far it is the best price but I want the best deal I can get. Nothing against them but I think that I should be able to get a better deal if Im writing a check for it outright.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I confused. Who is 'he' and is he offering $23,900 for a new 2012? You said earlier you could get a 2012 for $26k and now it's $23.9k? If that's the best deal you got offered on a new 2012, take it.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dealers make more money if you use a loan. Cash offers don't impress them.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They get the cash either way. I don't think paying cash is a huge incentive, but I don't know that.

What do you think is a good price? $23,000? You need to quit worrying about the best deal possible and worrying about getting a good deal. You'll waste too much time and effort trying to get a deal you may already have.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You MAY be able to get a better deal by going through their credit agency, especially with respect to rebates, just use your cash to pay it off the first payment.

Talk to their finance manager and ask if they offer any deals if you use their credit. Oftnetimes, the finance folks get a commission if you go through them and they may be willing to throw something in.

If you get credit card points, ask to pay as much as you can with your credit card and then pay that off as soon as you get home.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed. My sister got another $500 her Nissan Vogue because she agreed to the 36mo 0.9% financing. I think she was required to make three payments before she could pay off the balance. Definitely a deal whether or not she paid it off early.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yahoo auto or something like that. Basically send emails to a bunch of local dealers that you want to buy the pickup with what you want. I guranttee you within a few hours, your local dealers will flock to you like flies. Well, sit back and enjoy. No need to haggle.

Here is how you should do it. To the first dealer that calls, congrats that he is the first. Ask him what price he is offerring. Double make sure he is giving you the price for what you want. Double make sure where he is located. Tell him send you an email with the price quote for what you want.

And wait for the second dealer. To the second dealer, tell him what the first one offer you, and tell him you have the first's email for proof. If the second beats the first, tell the second to send an email for proof.

Now, the first will call back and check on you, tell him the second just called, and offer a better price. Tell him you have second's eamil for proof. Ask the first to beat second.

So on so forth.

I bought two new cars in last three years with this approach. By the end of the process, you should get a rock bottom price because these rats will fight each other. You will learn a lot about each's trick. I am telling you this is going to be fun.

13. emoreland

good points made. I will talk to their finance department.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Nah, don't waste your time. No need to play hardball and get stressed. I used to get pissed at dealers. No more. Play nice on the phone, reverse play them. Just tell the dealer to give his best shot, and you will decide. And make sure you tell him it has to be the best shot, it's one and done. Say it nicely. I find most of them slick azzes are acutally not that bright.

15. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

I bought my 2012 Tacoma from Fred Haas Toyota on the north side of town - they have $5,000 off the Texas Editions (basically an SR5 with extra badging), plus they're easy to negotiate with.

16. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

truecar is a good source because you see what people are buying for. I'd say just buy it in Houston.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

at the end of the day..ur not going to come out ahead buying a car.

saving a few hundred dollars is nothing when you think about the depreciating value you're taking on.

to generalize..i would say getting 10-15% off the msrp is a good deal.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Tacoma's are awesome trucks. Mine is 9 years old and a little over 100K miles and it's held its value really well. And I've only had 1 major issue on it.

If the dealers in your area aren't coming down off of MSRP, then you might try widening your search area? Seems outrageous you'd have to pay at or above retail.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Is all this stressing and shopping around really worth an extra $500 or $1k to you? When I buy, I try to find a good deal then I make a decision in 1 day, 2 days max and get it over with so that I can focus on more important things like personal relationships, making more money and taking care of my health. You might spend 3 weeks surfing the web, calling, pacing around, driving 100 miles to another city, all for an extra $1000 or so? Time is money and I would say your time is worth more than that. Find the truck you like, get a decent deal, and pull the trigger.

Most people want a super deal on a vehicle so that they can tell all their friends and family "I got that there truck for ________ and _____ under invoice" and then feel good about themselves for a few minutes, when in reality no matter how good of a deal they got, they just bought a depreciating asset and shouldn't be bragging about anything.