1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a gun.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

crackheads don't really have logic or the fundamental principle that all life is sacred. Deterrents are not defense. The best defense is a firearm.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Crackheads have the fundamentals of big dog = big bite, not worth it gonna try the next house. They are super principled on that ****, Tim Duncan level fundamentals.

Again, statistically, a large loud dog is one of the best deterrents. A deterrent is absolutely a defense, it's the best defense IMO... unless shooting someone over a dog scaring them off is more ideal for you?

I'm not against gun ownership for hunting, or in specific situations for safety at home if you live somewhere rural where the cops take 20+ mins (Houston is 5 mins on average). I just see globs of people unnecessarily owning guns as adding to the danger in our society, because I think that's the biggest contributor in our gigantic statistical anomaly for murder rate amongst wealthy countries, our gun culture is absolutely ridiculous.

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

This is also the argument that is a fallacy. The "try the next house" argument. Like the lady in the video, your house has been targeted for a reason. Either they know you, know whats in the house, or know a way to get in easily. A puppy doesn't change the equation if they have decided the danger is high enough to require them to carry guns.

I disagree on a deterrent being a defense. The deterrent has no bite. It's a show. A defense has the ability to stop the guys.

I would be willing to see these statistics and how they were acquired.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The argument you are trying to make is weak -- at the minimum a dog that rages at a stranger casing your house will alert you well before they've attempted to enter providing additional time to grab a gun. The reality is the typical smash and grab burglar isn't going to mess with a home that has a dog in full chimp rage mode.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've clearly been saying a large loud dog from the start, not puppy lol.

I apologize I don't have the stats on hand, like I said earlier, I'm going off the memory of a news segment where a police chief said that their statistics showed owning "a large loud dog" is one of the best prevention tools for break-ins. People are worried about their ass being bitten, worried about it bringing attention.

And yeah we disagree on a deterrent being a defense, to me, it's undeniably a defense. Like if someone breaks into your home and you aim your gun at them and tell them to get the **** out (which they oblige) that's a deterrent as well in that scenario. The defense isn't just physically stopping someone's body IMO.

7. Bandwagoner

How reliable is spot to go rage mode, and how much will the guy who already got a gun before coming care? Guard dogs make shitty pets and pets make shitty guard dogs.

My fundamental issue the deterrence you guys are arguing is worthless as a defense and most "strangers" busting in are not strangers but your doper cousin, or guy who helped the contractor put the glass in your shower. They know you have a dog.

8. Bandwagoner

I don't trust cops at all on that crap. They not only will shoot your dog dead in a second, they don't want anyone to have guns except them. I also don't think they are great at math much less complex statistics.

A deterrent is an alarm company sign. A defense is a security door that requires time and noise to get in. Much more reliable than any dog.

Your scenario is a logical choice made by a sane actor. The real life scenario is they will run and shoot backwards like the video I posted.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am Bob Barker and I want you to not forget to spay or neuter, and obtain a concealed carry license for your pet.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You think a police chief would give false information out in political collusion to take r guns? Interesting

Deterrent is alarm sign, defense is an actual alarm (which a dog is not?), in real life people run and shoot back?

Well f*ck.

EDIT - confused on the security door, are you talking about heavy-duty latches and bolts? Can't they just break a window? How is the noise from that a defense but the dogs noise isn't?

We just disagree, tis okay.

11. Bandwagoner

I think cops lie all the time for whatever reason. I thought that was common knowledge.

A security door windows all exist. All 100% of the time require time and noise to get through. Dogs literally have a mind of their own.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Okay, so we will install security doors, windows, own a large loud dog and abandon the gun yes?

:cool:

13. Bandwagoner

If you have the cash it's probably a better investment than that new outdoor kitchen. Won't help resale value much because people don't highly value safety when making decisions. We part ways when it requires keeping a poop machine inside.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Talking about window protection, I've always envisioned when I build my dream house, that I would have a very heavy duty door system, and I've always imagined having wooden covers for my windows, whether it be inside or outside, that can lock with a metal latch from the inside, to protect the home in case of a bad storm or burglary while gone.

[​IMG]

My cousin had the exact same thing on her windows where they were all on the inside of the house, but hers looked quite a bit more tasteful.

I suppose you could also do hidden metal inside framing like this

[​IMG]

15. Bandwagoner

I think I would just go for real security windows with the added bonus of energy savings. Shutters on the outside seems pretty cool for hurricanes but that thing looks rural as hell on the inside with a low WAF. Once the window breaks will it keep rain out? Storm/security windows are the way to go bro.

16. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Security experts preach layers of deterrents. The more the better. Fences, locks, barking ass dogs, alarms, cameras, ugly orange warning signs, cars in the driveway all help. Guns are not for everyone, but if one is absolutely competent and confident with them then it’s hard to argue that a gun doesn’t make them safer. But the smartest and safest thing to do if an intruder is in your house is to gtfo as fast as possible, run down the street and call 911.

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A big loud dog is one factor in the risk/reward calculation. That you would present this as a compelling argument is evidence that your brain doesn't think real good.

#97 gifford1967, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    KingCheetah likes this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

I recall watching a Masterminds episode where a cat burglar would deter the big dog by bringing enough treats to eat. He said later the dogs would start walking with him as he cased the place.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's true, for sure. But most, and I mean 99.9% of crooks, will skip the house. Media has made every criminal into an Ocean's 11 mastermind but that's just not the case.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Just curious if anyone here has ever used a gun for self defense