1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building Credit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Jan 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

That's the only place I haven't tried but I'm going to have to wait, since I just recently tried to get credit with "Bill Me Later"

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Building credit is a long process, so don't get discouraged. Every little bit helps.

Do your parents have good credit and have credit cards? If so, ask them to get a card in your name on their lines of credit. You don't need to have the card in your possession (this is part of the pitch to them), but it will show up in your name on credit reports. Of course, only do this if their credit is sterling and they are responsible.

Also- are you on your own or do you pay any kind of bills in your name, like a cell phone, cable, car insurance or any utility bills at all? Have you always paid on time? If so, call that company and ask for them to send a letter of good standing to the 3 credit agencies.

If you pay your parents any kind of rent, they could submit a letter of good standing to the 3 credit agencies as well.

A secured card will also help, but you will be paying for it.

Try to get a line of credit at some local department store that still has in-store credit. Heck, go to the manager and tell them you will pay the credit off immediately with the purchase.

Hope that helps.

3. Scionxa

yeah, i was thinking of putting down $500 and going with a Secured credit card either through them or Capital One

4. ling ling

ling ling Member

I once tried apply for a major credit card while in college. I put in $7k income and got denied.

I called the bank and asked why.

They said I needed at least $8.5K.

So.... The next day, I reapplied and put in $9K income and got the card. :grin: :p ;)

Try to reapply w/ $10K income or something.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You shouldn't have to wait if you go down to talk with a banker.

6. Scionxa

Thanks for the info.
    I currently pay Sprint, State Farm, and Comcast (I live with my mom, but that stuff is in my name)

It's possible for them to send a report to the 3 bureaus? I have extremely good payment history with all of them. Especially Sprint, since I'm trying to get my deposit back lol

Will a manager be able to help? I thought all the deciding was made by a computer

7. Scionxa

I put 15,000 in one of the gas cards I applied for

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't feel too bad.

I have one Credit Card and a very good rating, but was rejected 5 months ago for a car loan because I had a "fake credit rating" because it didn't have enough lines of credit. Ended up giving me an offer for 10% interest. You can thank the credit bust for that.

Last month I applied for a fancy CC with a nice teaser only to get the same rejection.

I got rejected last week because I had "too many requests on my card". I applied it at my own bank with a representative typing it in.

The funny thing is that I don't need a loan or another card but like you I want to improve my credit score. It wouldn't be half as stupid if I didn't get 5 or 6 CC offers in the mail a week. I should mail back rocks to waste their time as they have mine.

It's a catch-22. Need more credit to prove that you can get credit. CC companies should be sending you rejection letters by now. It might be because you're applying too much like what I got (as if 2 hits is a lot)

9. Scionxa

really? but I thought having the credit ran alot was a bad thing? I'll try anyways on my break at work. There's a chase near here . Any other advice? I really appreciate it.

10. Scionxa

I've only actually received one rejection letter AFAIK, it was from Discover

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sure they can send some forms in for you. They certainly report to credit if you don't pay them, right?

It's all about people skills.

Give them a call and see what they say. If they say no problem, stay on top of it. Keep calling back if they say yes or no. All of these companies have hundreds or thousands of customer service reps. Some will help, some are assholes. Even if one said they would send in the info, they may not have. It's like carpet bombing to make sure that you kill em all.

Same with the manager (and someone else mentioned this with calling in)- some people have some wiggle room on granting credit. Again, it's about people skills. If you're nice, intelligent, well informed, well spoken and eager, it will come across and people will want to help you.

12. Scionxa

Thanks man, I really appreciate. I will try this.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

785 here brah.

I think my first card was from Fingers Furniture, which I got when I was about 20. I've never been denied for a card. If you can't get a card from a department store, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

14. bobrek

If you go talk to a person, they will know why your credit may have had so many inquiries and essentially ignore it.

In the old days, it was easier to get a store credit card, but now many of them are affiliated with Visa, MC and AMEX.

15. bobrek

My first card was with Finger's as well, 35+ years ago. As I mentioned in my post above, it is more difficult to get a department store card now because many of them are affiliated with bank credit cards.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

my credit score is well in the 700s the only bad thing on my report is having too many inquiries in too short of a period of time (i hate a circuit city visa w/ a 9k line on it that closed so i applied for 2 other cards at the time to just hold on to so my debt to credit ratio would stay the same)

i think my first ever credit cards were the ones i applied to on campus at college to get the free t shirts which as soon as i got i just cut them up...the still show on my credit report but as closed

after that the first credit card i got was a store jcpenny card which i still have but never use with its 500 dollar credit limit.

After i had that for about 6 months i applied for a card online through my bank which got approved which was my first real credit card. I made some poor decisions with the card (basically over spending) which was more of me being stupid and not informed. It took me a year to pay it off and paying some interest on it but I learnt a good lesson from it.

I would go over the reasons why you want the credit card, it can get real easy to overspend or live outside of your means with them. If you manage them properly they actually can be very beneficial to you. My dad looks at me funny since I have 5 different cards right now but each one is used for a specific purpose since I get cash back on certain purchases with certain cards, most importantly I do not let any of the cards carry a balance so I am not paying interest on the cards anymore.

Its good to build credit but at that age there are so many dangers you may not realize at how easy it is to just charge it and seeing a few 20 dollar charges here and there pile up to a huge bill.

Good Luck

(btw chexsystems is just an internal system for the banks to know whether or not you defaulted on a bank account/loan/credit card from another bank before they let you open an account with them or secure a loan - just because you do not show up on that is no indicator of having good credit, its more just saying you do not have bad or in your case no credit)

17. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

If you have been turned down a lot, try orchard bank or and a secured card (or a couple). 2 or 3 cards that report every month with low balances will boost your score in 6 months and you'll get another big boost in a year. Secured seems like a rip-off, because you end up paying for the credit and probably high annual and administrative fees, but you're basically paying to improve your own credit. Small price to pay to be able to get more credit (unsecured) with higher limits.

The key is just to never ever be late and keep your balances low (just buy what you usually do with cash and pay your statement with that cash you kept) How do I know?

Two years ago, the only thing I had was a car at an outrageous interest rate, because I had no credit (lesson learned). I had the car going for me, but it wasn't enough to boost my scores for unsecured credit cards. I got an orchard bank card unsecured for $300, and two other cards that were secured, 300 each. I made sure they reported every month.

Twelve months later my score and history was good enough to get a kroger rewards MasterCard (excellent for groceries and that .15 off gas!), best buy MasterCard, a newegg preferred account and bill me later, all with a substantially higher credit limit than my old cards. Not exactly AMEX, but better than I had. Plus a new car at 3% interest.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Wells Fargo gives out student credit cards. At least everytime I have to go see a banker over something, they remind me I'm eligible for one.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Info

Rocket River
    *NecroBump*

20. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Go the secured credit card route.

I have paid cash for everything in my life until this past year when I found out because I had no credit history that I had below average credit.

Found out the hard way when I was declined.

I used nerdwallet to find the best secured card for my situation. I started with a 700$ (made a partial deposit to help get a higher line) capital one card and they allowed me to move up in credit after about 5 months. They also give you good advice on their apps on how to manage your credit and help your score grow. My score has grown into the 700s from the upper 500s since doing this. Also buying a car has helped build that number as well.

I now have no debt and a decent score that is growing over time.