1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud has season tickets?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Smokey, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I was reading the piece in the Chronicle on Sunday talking about Bud would be watching the Texans game. It says he has a personal invitation to the owner's suite, but Bud replied he would rather sit in his own seats cause he paid for parking :rolleyes:

Bud must have a suite cause I can see him getting jeered if he has regular seats. Even in club, I don't think Bud can make it.

Cool story. I like Bud. Bud isn't evil like some make him out to be.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Haha that's funny that he'd rather sit in his own seats because of parking...

I hate how Bud left town with the Oilers, but I don't blame him. I put the blame on Mayor Lanier, who never bothered to put a referendum up for vote.

If the Astros could get a new crib, the Oilers definitely should have.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Read this book!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891422006/cyberinkdesign0e/002-8345400-0273616

Evil? No.
    Incompetent? Absolutely.
    Uncouth? Without a doubt.

The story of Bud Adams and Kathy Whitmire (which HAS been verified) makes my stomach turn (for more reasons than one).

Turns out there is a reason the Oilers were the way they were. While the last several years without the NFL have been a drag, we are infinitely better off with our current organization.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Except for that referendum that was put up to vote that approved the funding for what eventually became Minute Maid Field and Reliant Stadium.

Yes, that was very late in the game, but Bud still had an out in Nashville then. The Oilers had not yet left. (Of course, Bud could not have expected that Reliant Stadium would be in the offing for him... or even anything similar. The best Bud might have gotten had he stayed was another renovation of the Astrodome. Given the information he had at the time and given the relationship he had cultivated over the years, his best course of action then was to move to Nashville).

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

edc - are you saying there was something going on between Bud and the mayor?

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

Let's just say Bud promised to consider keeping the team in Houston without a new stadium/upgraded Astrodome (this was 1987, the Jacksonville debacle) in exchange for certain "services" from her honor.

Some people think Adams was joking, but I doubt it. Go read the book and judge for yourself.

#6 edc, Sep 9, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Actually, Lanier offered him an open-air stadium at the end of the exclusive negotiation period with Tennesseee. Bud turned it down.

kidrock -- it's real hard to negotiate when guys sign EXCLUSIVE agreements to negotiate only with another city.

8. mrpaige

Oh yeah. I remember that now. That had slipped my mind.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I wish there was a law specifically for Bud Adams that he is not allowed to purchase any tickets to the Texan games....

I hope the Texans can run Tennessee out of Houston in the regular season finale...

10. MadMax

If they only win 2 games this year i want them to win against Dallas (which they did) and the Titans (either here or there...or maybe both!) :)

i wanna see Gary Walker scream at Bud Adams...but Bud wouldn't dare walk down on our field!!! can you imagine the boos if he did??

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Bud isn't evil? Remember before the Super Bowl that the Titans were in, he was wearing an AFC championship ring and he said to the cameras while coming out of a meeting something about having a message for Houston and Bob Lanier, then he stuck up his middle finger, which is the finger he put the ring on, and said some crap like "how do you like that," and then went off laughing. He's an *******, plain and simple.

12. MadMax

ask anyone who did business with him and they'd say the same...he was anything but honest...and he developed absolutely zero friendships here in town...no one came to his aid when he said he needed a new stadium...NOBODY! nobody believed him, either, because his word meant absolutely nothing.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think the fact that no one (or very few people) came to his aid, was 1) no one believed Bud would actually move the team (he is a Houstonian, Oilers were Houston) and 2) Bud's demands came at a bad time - the Rockets were winning championships while the Oilers were blacked out on TV and in the cellar.

Here are some quotes from the article:

and

I'm glad Bud flipped Lanier. I hate Lanier.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If the Oilers had beaten the Bills and the Chiefs in the playoffs, it would have all been a non issue...

15. MadMax

i think you're probably right...though, his threats of relocation would still have been taken with a grain of salt given his previous threats just a few years earlier to move to Jacksonville...

Smokey -- I don't care what the article said...he treated people like crap here. I'm not talking about tailgating or $5 parking...i'm talking about having a reputation as a dishonest businessman...he had that reputation...and according to the people i know who've done business with him, rightfully so. Hate on Lanier all you want...but Lanier didn't sign an agreement to NOT negotiate with Bud...Lanier did offer an open-air stadium...Bud was the one who made the decision to move. Good riddance...Go Texans!

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

But they didn't, A-Train. :(

I'm sorry, but I was an Oilers fan from their first season (my Dad took me to games when I was a kid) and I remember watching George Blanda kick the first 50 yard 3 pointer. Was there for Earl, Bud and the touchdown that wasn't in Pittsburgh (well, I watched the game on the tube). (Smith was inbounds, dammit!)

Adams is an a$$. Really.

Thank goodness we have a team again, although I don't like the name.

17. mrpaige

Actually, he didn't direct that at Houston, but at the Houston Mayor (which I'm sure he meant Lanier and not the Mayor at the time he did that).

I have to admit, I thought it was funny, and it really summed up so much about who Bud Adams is.

Heck, he's only been in Nashville for four years and he's already suing just about everybody and turning a lot of people off to him personally.

But I'm sure that's all somebody else's fault, too. That Bud Adams has the worst luck. Everywhere he goes, he just steps into these situations and unfairly gets the blame.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Renfro, not Smith...

19. MadMax

really?? i didn't know that!! have any info on that??

20. mrpaige

Here's a post from another board from a Nashvillain:

Bud Adams greatest hits in the last few months

1. Campaigned to create a Tennessee state income tax and did interviews ... from his home in Texas (TX doesn't have a state income tax).

2. Purchased an expansion AFL team after the last team left because the Preds didn't find the AFL fiscally beneficial to the arena. He then tried to force the city to pay $90 million to upgrade another downtown arena. The city said "no". He then wanted a referendum vote to have the city build him a new downtown 14,000 seat arena for his AFL team. City again said "no". He is now threatening to take the Preds to court to allow his team to play in the GEC. The AFL is talking about just revoking his expansion team because they were "mislead" by Adams.

Keep in mind all of this talk is during a fiscal crisis in Tennessee that included a partial statewide agencies shutdown.

3. Bud Adams refused to allow the public to use the parking lot of Adelphia Coliseum. The city had to take him to court to allow citizens to use his lots. He's paid about $10 per day by the car owners and $6 million per year by the city for the use (he didn't spend a penny on the stadium).

4. Bud is threatening to take the city of Memphis to court to force them to have NFL blackouts during Titans games (Memphis is 200+ miles away). And he wonders why they are switching the local broadcasting to the Rams after '04?

5. Limited the local press access to the Titans last season because of local stories about his wigs. lol lol

THE BEST ONE ...
    Bud's legal team tried to have the city of Nashville's District Attorney locked up for "Contempt of Court" for refusing to work with the AFL team. The DA was in the middle of trying to wind up investigations into a serial killer in the area who had been linked to 7 murders of college girls!

I could go on and on and on ... he's a joke around here ...