1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BTM] James Harden overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Mar 2, 2022.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know this channel all about worshipping how great the 80s and 90s was, but I think most of these comments are pretty ignorant and bias about Harden's game. There are alot of criticism of James, but he is fantastic player in a modern and historical sense. I feel like he would've been a walking cheat code in that era.

I know CP3, Stockton, and KJ were brought up, but there's no way I'd take the last two over him, even CP3, I might lean close to Beard.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"If you're considered a superstar you gotta be a two-way player". For anyone that don't want to watch/listen to this idiot's opinion that's all you need to know about his knowledge on basketball. He also spent about 10% of this video pimping ads for his sponsor.

DreamR and clos4life like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

not gonna watch this video, but these the same MFers that will ride Curry’s tip then talk about “player X isn’t a 2-way player”

this the same dumbass logic that had people thinking Klay was better than Harden back in 2016

put Harden in the 90’s and he’d be sending defenders to the ER with snapped and swollen ankles…

Harden would be 1 of the strongest guards in the 90’s, and easily 1 of the most skilled…don’t even get me started on shooting capability

vince, DreamR, Slyonebluejay and 4 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what most podcasts do nowadays, no matter entertainment or sports.

Rocket River and steddinotayto like this.
  5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

He's a capable defender, especially when he isn't responsible for generating ~40% of the teams offense on a nightly basis playing 38 minutes a game. When he has more energy to exert on that end, he's fine, as demonstrated by the effort he has shown so far with the 76ers on defense. Pretty strange people can't figure that out. Look at LeBron's effort on defense on those Cav teams the season before LA and before Anthony Davis was there. They have to pick their spots to rest during the game/season, because they aren't machines.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Defense? Lol. In the 90s?
    Not a whole lot of 2 way players there
    If they were a hard defender..they averaged like 10-15 a game tops
    With almost no assists

Harden would never be The Glove
    But the Glove would never be Harden on the other end.

Rocket River

vlaurelio, DreamR, Reeko and 4 others like this.
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

My thing about this video (and similar viewpoints) is let's show some consistency, here. I know this is just a fan-talk zone and nostalgia. NBA history is littered with high scoring/high volume shooting guards, who rarely passed the ball or always look to score. Were never quite the playmaker or look to get an easy basket for their teammates. If we just lineup all of the greatest scoring shooting guards of all time, like top 25-40, list. Harden is #1 on the list of 40 players, though he might fall to 2nd, if you include ... Reggie Theus. No one on the list is over 6, not even Havlicek or West. The only other two SG that come close to him are Maravich and Wade. If he is not willing to share the ball, or get better opportunities for his teams, how is he getting all of these assists and increasing his win share value, and making his teams much better than they are supposed to be.

Complaint that Harden always looks to score first and not pass, and he over dribbles. If that's the case, how does he have more assist per game than all of these other shooting guards. What were they doing wrong? Because, they all average much less assist than he does. The common complaint says he doesn't get his teammates, involved, naturally, and hesitate passing the ball. o_O In another video, from this same channel, many of the comments criticized LeBron for not being an aggressive enough scorer and looking to pass too much on many scoring opportunities. :rolleyes: Some of these comments and videos should just come right out and say that they don't like a guy. Move on. Harden is a career 36% 3 point shooter, you don't think that number would increase in a era where defense was not as concentrated to stopping the 3 point shot. Beard could almost average 40% or more in past era, if he were given the green-light to shoot.

Hell, I will defend the argument that Harden would've been a greater defensive player in that era than he is now, because of the way rules are made. He could legitimately use his size and athleticism against smaller offensive players.

The comment section is filled with haters, fan boys, and people obsessed with nostalgia. The one comment who said, " I don't like him on the court or off the court." Who the f#ck cares about what he does off the court...Harden has done anything distasteful or to put himself in trouble with law,

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/highest-career-ppg-shooting-guard-before-2000

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/highest-career-ppg-shooting-guard

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=most+all-time+fta+per+game

I'm not even a Harden fan, but I have to defend the guy, here.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Especially at SG, there were not a league full of 18+ ppg guys who were also great defenders. That feat is pretty selective among SG in NBA history, I dare say guards in general.

I thought Mitch Richmond was also underrated player, but he doesn't compare to Harden. I feel like Beard has few extra gears to his game, and he actually does have the ability to carry bad teams into the playoffs.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden is at worst one of the best 5 prime scorers in NBA history.

James Harden is a Hall of Famer when it comes to creating for others.

James Harden was incredibly durable in his prime, and could play multiple positions and defend multiple positions.

Defensively he is Matt Christie or Sidney Moncrief, but he is as good a defender and Dwayne Wade was and improved as he got into his prime.

His style of play lets him play with anyone because he can be great even when he isn't scoring.... he is also a very underrated defender.

People can say what they want about him and the fact that he practices at 3:30 am after going to a party.... but he is an extremely hard worker.

How did Dwight Howard do after leaving the Rockets? Howard was hurt and had back surgery before coming to Houston from LA and Howard is a famous loser.

How is Westbrook doing in LA? He has shown he is a selfish chucker that refuses to refine his game. Durant wanted away from him.

In NJ he had to deal with the Kyrie bullshit and had enough of it.

The one ever lasting mistake was he supported Paul for Westbrook after the Rockets couldn't add Butler to the team or Westbrook and Paul together. Now people forget how bad Paul was the last year in Houston.... but had they stayed together, there is a good chance they would have won the title last year.... but whatever.

James needs to win a title or two in Philadelphia to cement his legacy as a top 10-15 player in the NBA history.

10. HardenVolumeOne

More lazy talking points

bet you 50 bucks this guy will never make a video like this about steph curry. He would lose all his subs if he tried down talking steph

vince, DreamR, steddinotayto and 2 others like this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just imagine Harden with Dream and you will know he's probably underrated. Harden is a great entry passer because he doesn't ever telegraph his passes and Dream would probably never see a double team with Harden dribbling the ball.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug
    What did Chuck say
    "I'll never be the worse defender in the league as long as Larry Birds in the league. "

I *dare* any of these MFers to go after Larry the Legend.

Was Magic a stout defender?
    Average at best

80s and 90s ball
    Honestly it is golden state.
    Pg - dynamic offensive player that can get you some assisy
    So- stout defender that can it an occasional shot
    Curry and Klay

Examples?
    Magic and Cooper
    Isiah and Dumars
    Payton and Dunn/Nate
    Kenny Smith and Vernon
    Sometimes the roles were switched like
    Jordan and kerr/hodges
    Drexler and porter.

It seems that Harden is expect to be the ultimate combo guard.
    A combo of both positions

Rocket River

Am I lying?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I still watch a bunch of old highlights of Jordan, Bird, and Magic and what sticks out at me is how bad defenses were back then. Although it was physical sometimes with the hand checking and stuff, the schemes were horrible and players were wide open all the time. It was amazing how wide open Jordan was. I promise Curry has never been left wide open

#13 rockbox, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The funny thing about all of this is that those old guys from the 80s and 90s wouldn't have the athleticism or shooting efficiency to even go up against Harden with an exception of very few players. Most of those old cats were so one-hand dominant that it would have been a breeze for Harden to defend. Have those guys try to defend a cross over step back and see how they would fare.

SamFisher and Reeko like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

everyone gets left wide open at some point or another. Yes even Curry

HardenVolumeOne and plutoblue11 like this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They would defend it . . .by HACKING

Rocket River

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

and then turn around and think they’re playing good defense

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

and then spend the next 30 years claiming that and living off it.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why did OP even make this thread and give that random youtuber another set of eyeballs?

Not even going to watch the video, but in quickly scrolling through that comments section, it's just a bunch of Harden haters circlejerking each other.

Got better things to do with my time.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Certainly not giving that a click. From what you said they no nothing of Harden and his game. I may even question their basketball knowledge