1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruno Caboclo reaches agreement with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by craguin, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I meant after the 60 days. I wonder if I just misunderstood the description in general.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This we can agree on it. It would be a complete stunner If he made the 15 man roster. (And a bit exciting)

D-rock likes this.
  3. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

He can hit wide open 3's, and play defense. 3 and D player who is still young and athletic. Could step Into Ariza's spot easily now that we have Harden and Paul.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Sanity2disChaos

More promising than Melton.....lol

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More promising than AshleyEm...

6. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Paul, MCW, Knight
    Harden, Gordon, Green
    Melo, Ennis, Edwards
    Tucker, Chriss, Bruno, Clark
    Capela, Nene, Qi, Hartenstein

Assuming edwards and clark get the 2ways that’s 15

With gray on the outside.....

Unless there’s a buyout before the season I think he does.....

I think Morey has a plan for this kid but it ain’t this year tho.......

One thing is for sure the rockets have upped their internal growth potential and may have sped that up by getting guys who don’t have to be in the league for 3 years to be ready....

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Morey went roughly 50 games last year with only 14 full-contract players. imo, he won't pay Caboclo $4m-ish (to include tax) just because he's allowed 15 contracts. Not sure if you've notice, Tilman is trying to cut salary and tax.

Caboclo signed an Exhibit 10 for a reason. The reason is he must make the team on his own merits (worth paying tax for) or he gets cut (like all Exhibit 10s must do). After that, the Exhibit 10 will pay a (tax-free) bonus if he signs with the Vipers and stays with them for 60-days.. After that, he can do 10-day contracts, while still working towards a full contract.

carib, ramotadab, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. Chamillionaire

I just didn't see anything in Edwards. I'd personally rather have him as a project than him.

Mr Chuck Norris and D-rock like this.
  9. heypartner

Edwards can be retained on a 2-way contract. Caboclo cannot. For that reason, Edwards can be retained without really impacting Morey's decision on Caboclo.

10. Chamillionaire

Thanks HP. If there's anybody that we keep to develop, I think he's the guy. Chriss and him are 2 guys with high ceilings as 3 and D guys.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  11. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

His contract is a camp contract.
    Our roster currently consist of these players:
    1. CP3
    2. Harden
    3. PJ
    4. Melo
    5. Capela
    6. Nene
    7. Gordon
    8. Ennis
    9. MCW
    10. Green
    11. Qi
    12. Knight
    13. Chriss
    14. Hartestein
    15. Edwards

Rob Gray and Bruno Coboclo are very long shots to make the team. You can only carry 15 players on the roster with 2 inactives. If Bruno does make the team he would have to take any one of these players spots which I don’t see happening.

12. heypartner

Let's hope fellow Brazilians -- Nene and Geoge de Paula (on the Vipers) -- can help convince Caboclo to develop on a Viper's contract, because, unfortunately, all signs point to Tilman/Morey not letting his camp contract becoming guaranteed this year...because it would cost us $4m-ish.

That is to say, unless you already have a guaranteed contract (Chriss, Zhou and Isaiah), I don't see Tilman showing signs of paying tax to develop players who won't contribute *this year* in the playoffs.

Then again, maybe he finally starts playing NBA defense with that wingspan of his, like the two young Raptors are doing (who beat him out for two available NBA roster spots on a contender) -- Anunoby and Pascal Siakim. It's safe to say, all Caboclo had to do -- with that many minutes available for a defender -- is learn to play defense. I have a lot of respect for the man who drafted Caboclo -- Masai Ujiri -- and he obviously believes Caboclo lost his spot to subsequent draft picks....and shockingly quickly by Anunoby....who won the assignment of guarding playoff Lebron, fwiw.

I even wonder if Anunoby completely destroyed Caboclo's confidence in his own ability to play defense and make it in the NBA.

Edwards can be given a 2-way contract, so doesn't necessarily impact Caboclo making the team. But, as I pointed out earlier, Morey went about 50 games into the season without filling out the 15-man roster last year, until buyout season. He'll likely keep a roster spot open like that, again.

Since Caboclo's $1.6m contract would become guaranteed on Jan 10th, seems he really has to improve to take that 15th spot away from later, buyout candidates. He would be a $4m-ish salary+tax hit to Tilman's pocket-book. No way that happens unless he shows signs of being a legit, playoff contributer *this year*, vs Morey saving that spot for a buyout candidate with the MLE.

saleem and Chamillionaire like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i doubt we even get to see much of this kid in preseason considering pringles will want to dedicate playing time to incorporating melo & ennis into the lineups & sets. plus evaluating mcw

Chamillionaire and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yep, it will be the G-League for him. Honestly, it's all on him. He has been an underachiever every since he came into the NBA.

D-rock, smoothie and pippendagimp like this.
  15. saleem

Pascal and fellow Brazilian Bebe were his competitors. I'm quite sure he felt the pressure to make it to the squad instead of them. Anunoby plays at a different position than Bruno. I don't see him as a factor against him.

D-rock likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's definitely not quick enough or able to handle the ball to play as a 3, and not sure he's strong enough to even play as a stretch 4. probably just better off playing overseas imo

saleem likes this.
  17. heypartner

Weren't the Raptors trying to get him to play SF, mostly, and gave up because he's too slow. I mean, I think we want him as Ariza-type...which *is* Anunoby. The Kings fans were also saying Kings were playing him ahead of SF-prospect JaKarr Sampson.

Check this out
    Caboclo: 6'9, 218lb, 7'6 wingspan
    Anunoby: 6'8, 235lb, 7'3 wingspan, guarded playoff Lebron as a rookie​

Anunoby was the pick Ujiri wanted Caboclo to be.

Maybe Toronto moved him to do tryouts against Siakim, because they knew Anunoby thoroughly outplayed him for the available SF minutes.

#277 heypartner, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    saleem, TheRealAllpro and smoothie like this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is the most important point. we don't need 15 players. morey may be comfortable going with 14 again, or even 13 since our cap hit is higher than last year.

right now we have paul, harden, capela, knight, gordon, tucker, nene, chriss, green, melo, ennis, and hartenstein guaranteed. joe is the only NG contract who is pretty much guaranteed to make the team. that's 13 spots.

its possible that there is maybe 1 spot left for MCW, caboclo, edwards, and clark. its also possible that none of them earn a spot. i think most likely we will see MCW make it, with the last 3 guys playing with the vipers.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is a terrible garbage time lineup with :

MCW, Knight, Zhou, Hartesrein, Chriss.

20. saleem

Got it.