1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bregman not a fan of trade rumors..

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LongTimeFan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hope he comes back to Twitter, you just have to shut out mentions. Twitter is a great way to build your brand and interact with fans (positively).

He is a victim of expectations. We wanted a star, but right now he is the guy people saw when he was drafted (an average starter, without prototypical 3B power), not the guy that destroyed the minor leagues last year and then finished last year red hot.

texans1095 likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think average starter may be a bit of an undersell on potential, .771 OPS through 546 PA so far makes him an average starter. But it's more than a little shortsighted to think this is what he is in 2 years, or even by the end of this year. His OPS was in the mid .600's when May started and has been consistently trending upward.

But you are right, he is a victim of expectations, and situation. People expect a superstar right away, when it usually takes a little while. And he was never expected to be a lineup carrying stud, which is what his prospect ranking would suggest to some. Plus we have so many people mashing, his .757 seems downright bad by comparison.

I've always felt a .285/.370/.450 type line was a realistic expectation of him, and nothing I've seen has made me feel any worse about him getting to that level.

Yaosthirdleg and Perki-Perk like this.
  3. fiersdownbelow

Bregman smashed him. [​IMG]

4. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

Talk about apples and oranges lmao. With as fickle as Houston fans are, I'd probably slam one for being an ******* too.

5. The Drake

The Drake Member

Oh dude, lawyers rail on their clients ALL THE TIME

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Gonzales is as good or better which makes Bregs expendable. We should have given him up for Sale in the off-season.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wasn't referencing potential, merely what he has been this season, which is average.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...I remember the days when a .240 hitter was considered more than carrying your weight on this team.

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

While it is true that Gonzalez is proving to be a better hitter right now than Bregman, no one saw that coming heading into the season. I'm sure some front office people thought Gonzalez was capable of having a breakout season like this, but that doesn't mean they were confident enough in Gonzalez to deal Bregman. Hindsight is always 20/20 and is especially applicable to the "should've traded Bregman for Sale because MarGo is so good" argument.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

Joshfast likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

bahahahaha this forum would have RIOTED. but, you know, hindsight

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I still
    I think that level is about right, but that makes it more of a shame that 3B is the only position open. If he were 2B or SS, those numbers would be spectacular. I know because we have power at those positions we can "afford" a lighter-hitting 3B, but from a global efficiency standpoint it might make sense to get him to a team that needs a SS and spend the money on a power-hitting 3B.

Of course, he is also Correa/Altuve insurance down the road...

13. rockbox

I was actually making two separate statements. Gonzales is better than Bregman now which makes him a expendable commodity especially when we also have Yuli. Even if Gonzales wasn't better, we still should have traded Bregman for Sale since Sale is a proven ace pitcher.

texans1095 likes this.
  14. rockbox

I know you are right about the riot, but when do you not trade an unproven prospect for a proven ace pitcher, especially if you are on the cusp of contending.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Um apparently 90% of this forum when asked about Tucker for a starting pitcher... Im with you tho, its dumb to save on what "could" be.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Not really. He came across like a douche

REEKO_HTOWN and Astrofan59 like this.
  17. rockbox

Sale is not your average starting pitcher. His worst season ERA is in the mid 3's. He's a bona fide stud pitcher.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

FWIW, Bregmans 771 OPS would rank 7th among qualified shortstops.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I ended my comment with I agree with you. I was joking about how almost no one here wants to trade Tucker (a prospect) just like you were saying why can't we trade Bregman (an unproven rookie). I would include Tucker and about any other of our prospects if it meant Sale, degrom, stroman, archer...

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Bregman shouldn't have engaged him, and he DEFINITELY shouldn't have been on Twitter searching for mentions, but let's not BS here......95% of the tools over at SR610 deserve this ****. They all fancy themselves as sports savants when in reality, most people on this BBS have better sports takes than all of them.

Creepy Crawl and conquistador#11 like this.