1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Trump's Wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The US borders a nation with a homicide rate of 27 per 100,000. Some states in Mexico have higher homicide rates than El Salvador.

Mexico is allowing the ongoing smuggling of the most dangerous drugs into the United States.

The only thing illiberals can think to do is to blame the victim (US).

There is going to be a self-made humanitarian crises in Mexico soon. No reason the US should feel obligated to help after Mexico ignored both the signs and the IS’s help.

2. Anticope

Anticope Member

Hakeem did come here legally but you literally said a few posts up:

You didn't qualify that you were talking about illegal immigration being out of control so I took it to mean that you have problems with the legal immigration system as well. A lot of people that have similar views to you on illegal immigration seem to also have issues with legal immigration and are in favor of restructuring who enters the country legally as well as reducing the number of legal immigrants that we take in, if that's not how you feel I apologize for the mischaracterization but you didn't really make that clear at all.

dachuda86 likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Don't assume the worst. People are usually more reasonable than you give them credit.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you defend and make excuses for trump and attack those who are critical of him at virtually every turn. but if you say you arent a supporter i believe you i guess. are there any policies of trumps that you are against?

you literally said that people who are against trumps wall (the majority of the country btw) are "rooting against America and want to see the country collapse" and that "some of you actually harbor resentment against America". how are you not doing what you accuse others of?

especially ironic considering that trump has repeated attacked our country in front of an international audience and none of yall seem to care about that...if you have commented on trumps habit of running down our country id be curious to see your posts.

5. Cohete Rojo

They know a wall is effective. Which is why they are willing to spend $5.7 billion on anything but a wall.

The shutdown is working.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's leave aside your illogical comments. The proposal is great. Does Trump not care about border security? Why throw that out for a silly ineffective wall?

7. dmoneybangbang

Let's see how serious the GOP is then. We all know the GOP Congress wasn't funding "the wall" back in Dec 2018, will they fund it now it isn't a physical barrier?

8. HTM

HTM Member

Not sure why you think a wall is, “silly and ineffective”

What we know is the measures we have been taking for decades have been silly and ineffective. That’s all the Democrats are calling for though. More of what doesn’t work.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1) A wall does nothing to spot people from overstaying their VISAs (a giant portion of undocumented immigration)

2) Drugs come through legal ports of entry, not wherever a wall would be

3) Terrorism is a larger concern at the northern border

Explain how a wall solves any of those problems?

10. TheresTheDagger

Neither do Border Patrol Agents or drug dogs working the border. Doesn't make them pointless.

Drugs come through our border many ways. Doesn't make a wall pointless.

While terrorism is a concern, In comparison to the number of drug, gang and illegal immigration related deaths, it appears obvious which is the greater threat.

It doesn't solve the problem. No one thing does. What a wall does do is it helps to free up our other assets to cover the items you listed above (among other things.)

11. HTM

HTM Member

I don't need to.

I don't hold the view that more wall would help with those issues.

It helps solve the problem of tens of thousands of people walking into the United States every month across the southern border. That's why the border already has a lot of wall in certain areas.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Are the measures that have been reducing illegal crossings for about a decade now silly and ineffective? I would say they have been effective since it has been decreasing steadily now.

13. HTM

HTM Member

Ah yes, because levels were higher before that means levels are acceptable now? Tens of thousands are currently crossing every month. The border is not secure. Not even close. It makes a farce of our sovereignty. Estimates put it at a 50/50 proposition. It’s been a problem for decades and the Democrats/and others “solution” is a proposition for more of the same is a waste of time and I think disingenuous.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The only acceptable level is zero. We aren't going to reach that level. However the fact that it has been steadily decreasing means that we have been effective at reducing it.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

And plenty walking back into Mexico. Right now that isn't the major problem with border security.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Border Agents and sensors do help with stopping drugs crossing the border through legal ports of entry... That is what the real value is.

Why are walls a morality concern? Because more refugees (whether legitimate by law or economic) are at risk of dying as they take more dangerous routes or depend upon cartels and human traffickers to try and get them over the border only to lose what little they had and perhaps their freedom.

17. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, I disagree. Customs and Border Patrol is a human institution with human failings I don’t expect there to be 0 illegal entries acroos the southern border. That’s an unreasonable expectation.

Something more manageable than tens of thousands a month. Where you have a 50/50 proposition of literally walking into the country.

I think we’ve been doing the same crap with regards to customs and border enforcement down there for decades, it has been a huge waste of money and what we’ve gotten for all that money has been a quasi-half-assed border enforcement that has been largely ineffective. You think a wall will be a waste of money. Well, I know what we’ve had has been a waste of money and a total mess.

A strategically placed and well conceived wall could considerably cutdown on illegal immigration across the southern border.

What is the alternative? Democrats and other propose just doing more of the same. Wow. Great. That will induce a meaningful change. The reality is they don’t care to effectuate a meaningful change so they just propose a continuation of the same crap we’ve been doing for decades. It doesn’t work. Nobody is looking down at the southern border and wondering about how secure it is.

Also it’s disingenuous for you to not mention other factors, such as the economy, which have played a large role in illegal immigration patterns. Its no coincidence one decade ago combines with the great recession.

#1417 HTM, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  18. Cohete Rojo

It doesn't. Those are issues that have to be resolved through other means. Building a wall does not mean we ignore other issues.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Is this true? I truly don’t know but that doesn’t make sense to me.

I would think a Mexican national (or other national) could approach the Mexican port of entry coming from the United States without a probem. I don’t think you have to deal with US authorities but idk its been awhile since ive crossed.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Democrats are not suggesting "stay the same". They are suggesting increased use of technology, coupled with increased hiring of border agents, and strengthened hiring laws to reduce the attraction, coupled with increased work with Mexico and other countries to further reduce the number of people that want to come to the United States. Last, repair or reinforcement of existing barriers. All these will further reduce illegal immigration and increase border security.

FranchiseBlade likes this.