1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Breaking News] active shooter at YouTube HQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 3, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, they should have searched her car cause she looks a like pyscho Pat Benatar impersonator

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/04/us/who-is-nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooter/index.html
    Police talked with YouTube shooter hours before attack -- and say they didn't notice anything disturbing

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Which is normal in SF.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Are you?

cheke64 likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't discount this theory just yet.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

A647FE01-CC27-4FF6-89EC-B61702A26431.jpeg

el gnomo likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They age restricted her ab videos? That's where they crossed the line.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Crazy actions by wealthy people makes sense, but not by the poor? lulz

Isn't the reverse of that: How could someone so successful like Pew DiePie with 60+ million followers having banked $15m income from Youtube kill himself while attempting to murder others over a spat with Youtube. People would say, "That's craaaazzy. I would have just Let it Go and signed with someone else, or focused on my book and video sales."​

It's just crazy anyone would do it.

One could actually argue that someone flirting with sanity as well as poverty (apparently, she was questioned by police that day for being caught living out of her car) is more likely to already harbor resentments about life in general, and be more likely to have no network of friends to help prevent unabated resentments from spiraling into drama, than someone like PewDiePie who would have a network of friends/counselors to help him temper anger from boiling over to the point of committing suicide, even if he were just as cray as she was.

But, then again, I think all domestic terrorists who commit suicide are crazy.

8. heypartner

Since this is still in hangout, I figure it still has a modicum of interest in news as the story breaks.

fwiw: Just heard on NPR that the police in SF actually questioned her earlier that day, because they found her living out of a car. Upon questioning her, they then called her parents (probably to confirm identity and she if she indeed had family support -- not homeless), and let her go about her business. Later, her dad called the police to say that she was boiling over with the YT issue, and might have been the reason she was in SF sleeping in her car.

btw: I first thought they implied the father called the police back prior to the shooting (semi-qualifying as a missed warning???). I probably heard that wrong though, right? He probably called them about YT after he heard what happened.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I posted some of that already. Also mentioned that lots of people live in their cars in this ridiculous area, even entry-level tech employees, graduate students from Stanford and Berkeley, on and on. (Not complaining, just referencing back to pg. 2 I think).

heypartner likes this.
  10. heypartner

So, micro-apartments with communal kitchens (I've visited one in Chinatown, basically, a small dorm-room/large closet) are more expensive than legal parking spots. I know ppl sell their parking spots, right? I guess parking spots are cheaper, and no deposits. Those must be scarce commodities, though, right?

Man, in Chi-town, ppl rent their closets. I have proof from The Chi (btw: I recommend this show).

[​IMG]

#50 heypartner, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    B-Bob likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Sometimes I think it's a shame...

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when were you in Chinatown brother?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about rich or poor, it's about if it is someone's livelihood or if it is someone's hobby. There's no way she made her living making YouTube videos, she had to have either had a real job or was living off of wealthy parents or something like that, so not having her videos monetized couldn't have hit her pocket that much. On the other hand, a person who used to make millions on YouTube having that all taken away from them is something that could reasonably lead to a murder/suicide scenario.

Then again, that's just assuming it was the money. I've heard some theories that her biggest complaint was that she thought YouTube was holding her back and preventing her from becoming a star. If you look at the different kinds of videos she has made over time, she certainly seems to have been seeking YouTube fame in just about every conceivable way....it just wasn't happening for her because her videos were the wrong kind of weird, they were poorly put together, and she's not attractive. I think the fact that she was going to be turning 39 today had more to do with her actions than anything else. She realized she was getting old and wasn't famous and blamed YouTube for that thus she lashed out at them before killing herself. Also, she seemed legit crazy. I heard she had some Facebook posts where she blamed getting a nail in her tire on some kind of anti-vegan vandalism...seems like she thought people were out to get here anytime something unfortunate happened.

I'm not ready to call this domestic terrorism, but I don't disagree that all domestic terrorists who kill themselves are some kind of crazy, I just think that there are different types of crazy that they can be.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He called the police when she went missing, the police then found her sleeping in her car not far from YouTube but they had no cause to stop her so they let her go. They told the parents about what was going on and where they found her and after googling the town they found her in they saw that it was near YouTube so they called the police back to warn them and the cops said they would keep an eye on her. Less than a day later, she attacked YouTube.

heypartner likes this.
  15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You must feel for her. You technically live in a car, own a bunch of guns... Although at least you have a screen door.

el gnomo likes this.
  16. heypartner

OK, trying to murder people in their workplace out of anger and committing suicide while doing so makes sense to you if it's about money, but it doesn't makes sense to you if it's not about money. Do I have it right, now?

Where does "Going Postal" fall into your line of thinking?

I think you are trying to use logic to explain to that woman that she isn't making sense. It's like you're speaking to her. To me, the guy with $15m in the bank and fame galore, the postal worker, and this girl would all be the same ... "Postal".

#56 heypartner, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a different kind of crazy. If a person destroys your livelihood, it's one kind of crazy to seek revenge before killing yourself. If you irrationally blame your failure to become a star on someone that can't really control that and you seek revenge before killing yourself, it's a different kind of crazy. The difference is not so much money but in the first example, there is an actual slight that harms or destroys your way of life, in the second example it's an imagined slight that didn't really happen.

"Going postal" would be sort of a mix of those 2 types of crazy. The "going postal" route you are lashing out at EVERYONE for both real and imagined slights.