1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Breaking News] active shooter at YouTube HQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Who had Iranian bodybuilding, vegan, artist, animal rights advocate in the mass-shooter pool?

Good grief.

AroundTheWorld and heypartner like this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Another crazy person with a gun, what else is new.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Never trusted Vegans. Need to deport them all.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think in her case, the "crazy" was the dominant identifier.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@juicystream I always ask my Vegan friends if they've ever taken a shower or wiped down a counter. They are monsters!

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh! Oh! Me! I did!

Exiled likes this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So we're calling her a domestic terrorist, right?

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stupid thing to suggest. Political speculation and projection are unwarranted while these tragedies are ongoing, no matter the "side" you think you're on. It's a shame you can't see that or recognize your own motivations.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In theory the title could fit, because you could make the case that she was trying to terrorize YouTube into changing their policies....but I don't think the title is appropriate. I think it's more likely that it was just her being pissed off and seeking revenge on the person who she blamed for demonetizing and age restricting her videos. So "crazy person lashing out irrationally" is how I would describe it.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You could label her defender of free speech also. Now ship it off to the D&D, lulz.

heypartner likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, no one was preventing her from exercising her free speech, even on their platform. They just were demonetizing her speech on their platform.

Ziggy likes this.
  12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Man. Yesterday, I had a whole post typed about how she probably got pissed that she wasn’t being monetized for her videos. Then i decided not to post it.

heypartner likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just crazy that someone with only 5k followers would do that, I mean, how much money could she have been making to begin with? If someone like PewDiePie went crazy about his videos being demonetized, that would make more sense because we'd be talking about potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue. With her, what, maybe a couple hundred bucks tops?

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This b**** look kray.

I have to wonder, was someone ****ing with her for the hell of it? I could see maybe one video getting age restricted but seems a bit weird that all that happened.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Here's what I think is especially odd about us, and I include a lot of media in the Bay Area, as I just listened to "Forum," a good local call-in show on public radio.

A lot of people are focusing on youtube policies, as if any online policy could warrant someone shooting up an office.

That's where we're at as a society. (I know nobody is saying youtube deserved this -- that's not my point.) My point is just that she's another lonely crazy person and how do we: (1) reduce the # of lonely crazy people in our country, and (2) keep them from shooting places up. Very hard questions.

Also interesting, as I just listened to the San Bruno police chief's presser. The family reported her missing (from San Diego), and local police near Youtube (about ten or fifteen miles from Youtube HQ) found her in her car, checked her out, and took her off the missing list. So many people sleep in their cars in the expensive Bay Area that it is absolutely no big deal for police to find people sleeping in their cars. It was, in itself, no reason to cause alarm, even though her family was worried about her.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well like I was saying above, if she was a YouTuber who made tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars with her content, and they wrongfully stripped that away from her, I could see that being a reason for someone to go crazy and seek revenge for taking away their livelihood....but that doesn't seem to be the case. It would be similar to ANY employee going after a boss for essentially firing them

I don't think we'd look at that as being acceptable, but it would certainly be more understandable if that were the case.

Given that we're probably talking about maybe a few hundred dollars max, I think it's pretty clear that this was a person already close to the edge and if you factor in her fairly extreme interests, it doubles down on that picture. That said, I don't think there's anything you can do in a situation like this other than increase security to where people can't get a gun into your offices.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The New York Times is blaming YouTube. Where have I heard that one before?

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Also, is this a transgender woman?

tinman likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon, you think any self respecting trans woman would walk around with eyebrows like that?

20. Buck Turgidson

Ok, this is sick but hilarious. Good work.

Was she a crossfitter too?