1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking Astros News!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah if we can bring back Kent under new contract terms so we can sign a person like Beltran and any other decent bullpen help then that would be great.

We wouldn't be able to make a nice run at anyone with a 9 million dollar option for this year.

2. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Call me crazy but I don't think 9 million for Kent is that bad. Therefore, I don't see him coming back. Some team will sign him for near that amount. Let's just hope Burke's bat is ready to contribute.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

9 million is a lot for a guy in Kent's stage of his career... Alou was just let go for the same amount, and he probably had a better year overall than JK.

That being said, I don't think Kent's main goal is money... if that was the case, he probably would have never signed with us in the first place.

He wants a combination of being happy (location wise), being on a competitive team, and a decent contract (he won't play for free, obviously).

If Oakland makes a run at him (doubtful, considering they wouldn't pony up the $$$ at mid-season to trade for him), he would consider there because of his Cali roots. Also, he could show some interest to the Rangers, if the price was right.

Honestly, I don't see teams like the Yankees or the Red Sox (the other big spenders) putting up anywhere near $9 million for Kent (although, 2B is the only spot in the Yankees lineup that wasn't a 30 HR potential guy). The Cubs, and dusty basker, might, but the world would implode if a guy as hated as JK went to a team as hated as the Cubs.

4. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Alou plays a power position. How can you compare a 2nd baseman to a left fielder? Kent while not the best defensively is far and away the best option available to most teams now at that position. He may give the Astros a discount, but I think he will get a ton of offers from around the league for more than you think.

#44 Xenon, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  5. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

that's why i've always had such respect for kent. Even though he doesn't talk much and supposedly isn't a clubhouse guy, he's first and foremost a great baseball player and a great person. Everygame he plays his hardest and he produces. I haven't heard any bad things about him and i would love to have him back for another year. Maybe 1 year 4-5 mil like what roger signed is possible? I would do that in a heartbeat.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We'll see... but as I said before, there aren't many teams that could ever afford a $9 million dollar 36 year old power hitter, who happens to play 2B (for which he's pretty much average... most AL teams have better defensive 2B options, likely making him a DH).

The Yankees can afford him... but he'd have to shave his p*rn stash, and we all know that's the real source of his super powers.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Hey may get offers but I doubt he'll entertain them.

He said it himself that the Astros have unfinished business and could make a run next year and he's already looking forward to spring training. So it seems fairly clear that he'll either be in an Astros uniform next season or he'll be retired.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

When he crossed the plate after that game-winning walk-off Home Run he didn't look like an unwelcomed cancer in the clubhouse. The joy on his face and the mob of well-wishers belied that status.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... being on a team for 8 months straight, it kinda becomes just like family.

Sometimes... do people in your family get on your nerves? yes... sometimes, it seems like there's always discord. But, when it comes time to support one another through it all, they'll be there for one another.

I don't think JK is very fond of Lance... but its not like him vs. Barry Bonds.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lance is maddening at times, he seems to drift off into La La land, especially when running the bases.

DD

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

At least he hasn't pulled a Suppan:)

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Its kind of strange that Kent hit a homerun in his first at bat at MMP and his last at bat (walkoff in game 5)

13. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I really don't believe that. I think Hunsicker is just saying for P.R. reasons. They are trying to sign Beltran so they every $ and Kent is 36 or 37 so I don't see them locking him up till the end of his career. I wouldn't doubt they Astros will have Biggio and Burke platoon 2nd base and insert Jason in left field.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Astros keep Biggio; Kent a free agent
    Club leaves door open to re-signing second baseman
    By BRIAN MCTAGGART
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Craig Biggio moved from second base to the outfield when the Astros signed second baseman Jeff Kent before the 2003 season, and now the seven-time All-Star could be headed back to the infield.

Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker announced Thursday the club was picking up Biggio's $3 million option for 2005, while choosing not to exercise Kent's $9 million option for next year.

The moves were the first of what will be a busy offseason for the Astros, who have to find the best way to remove manager Phil Garner's interim tag as well as trying to keep free agents Carlos Beltran and Roger Clemens.

With so much to be determined with the makeup of the club, it's too early to tell what position Biggio will play next year. But he's at least assured of returning for his 18th season with the Astros.

"This guy's been a franchise player for a long time and has meant an awful lot to this franchise," Hunsicker said. "I think he's earned the right to come back. His performance in 2004 has indicated he can still be a productive player at this level, and we welcome him back with open arms."

Biggio, 38, hit .281 this year with a career-high 24 home runs and 63 RBIs.

"I'm elated from the standpoint that I know I'm going to be back for another season," Biggio said. "With the excitement of the club and the way we played and coming so close to winning the World Series, it's great to know you're coming back."

Kent, who is owed a $700,000 buyout, becomes a free agent and can negotiate a contract with any team. But Kent, 36, and the Astros have left the door open to his return in 2005 under a new deal.

"He was an important part of the team this year," Hunsicker said. "Even when the team was going bad, he was one of the more consistent performers all year. He drives in 100 runs year in and year out, and if you look at our lineup and you don't have Jeff Kent in it, you're going to have a pretty big hole to fill."

Kent hit .289 this year with 27 homers and a team-best 107 RBIs. He became the career leader in home runs as a second baseman this year, started the All-Star Game at Minute Maid Park and set a club record with a 25-game hitting streak.

He forever will be remembered for his three-run homer in the ninth to beat the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 5 of the National League Championship Series at Minute Maid Park.

"My two years in Houston have been among the most enjoyable years of my career," Kent said in a statement. "Our team's run during the second half of the season made me feel like a kid again and reminded me why I love playing this game so much. I am already thinking about spring training.

"I consider myself lucky to have played with such a great group of guys who refused to give up, even when others counted us out. To get so close and then come up short leaves a bitter taste. As I said to my teammates after the tough loss in Game 7 of the NLCS, this team can win next year. I was looking forward to being a part of that because there is some unfinished business, and I believe that at full strength we'd have won it all this year."

If Biggio is asked to switch positions, it will be nothing new. He went from catcher to second base in 1992 before moving to center field when Kent was signed prior to the 2003 season. Biggio moved to left field in June when the Astros acquired Beltran in a trade with the Kansas City Royals.

"As we told him, it's so early in the planning we don't know what the team is going to look like next year," Hunsicker said. "There are no guarantees what position he's going to play or how much playing time he's going to get. We're just starting the process."

Now the focus turns to Garner, who was hired at the All-Star break and guided the Astros to 36 wins in their final 46 games to reach the playoffs. The Astros would like to have him return next year, but commissioner Bud Selig has threatened large fines for teams that don't interview minority candidates.

But the Astros, like the Florida Marlins did last year with Jack McKeon, are exploring ways to keep Garner, 55, without interviewing other candidates. The Toronto Blue Jays also removed the interim tag from manager John Gibbons one day after the end of the regular season this year.

"The World Series is over now so we don't have any restraints as far as being able to make an announcement, and I would suspect next week the manager situation will start to take shape," Hunsicker said.

Thursday also was the start of a 15-day window during which the Astros have exclusive negotiating rights with any of their free agents, including Beltran.

Hunsicker said he spoke with Scott Boras, Beltran's agent, in the final week of the season. They never got into specifics, but Hunsicker expressed his desire for Beltran to return.

"They clearly have a plan, and that plan in my opinion probably takes us into December," Hunsicker said.
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/2872337

Anyone think he will return but with a better contract (astros favor)

#54 Uprising, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

No matter what happens in the off-season, this team will not take a nose-dive. I believe they'll do what it takes to be very comptetive next year.

Go Astros!!

16. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

what about moving biggio to the catcher spot again? he has played there before and is a major upgrade offensively over brad "instant out" ausmus. we could then go after another infielder/outfielder depending on what happens with kent/beltran.

17. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

*Pats Madmax11 on the head

We should move Steve to the 2, also, shouldn't we?

18. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Well actually yeah, he would have made a good 2 if we had the right point guard, but what does that have to do with the astros?

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can tell you that it absolutely was not like that for MOST of the season. it was a problem.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

biggio isn't going to be moved back behind the plate, again. you can't just hop back there after having not played there for years...particularly with 39 year old legs.

change your moniker! :)