1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brazil Officially Starts First Uranium Enrichment Facility

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, May 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

2. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

Lots of countries are enriching uranium, but the West has just chosen to demonize Iran, because they want regime change there...as usual their policies are monuments to hypocrisy

3. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, maybe it's that. Or maybe it's the fact that Iran has stated its desire for Israel to be wiped off the map.

4. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

dont gimme that bs......there's lots of inflammatory rhetoric on all sides

why dont you examine actions? who started wwi and wwii? europe not iran
    who is going around invading and occupying countries? us not iran
    who has a history of committing war crimes, invading and bombing its neighbors, and occupying their territory? israel not iran
    iran has never attacked a country in their modern history

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Threatening to wipe a nation off the map goes beyond the normal rhetoric. Iran may not be serious or they may. But that kind of talk even if it is just rhetoric shows an unwillingness towards moderation, working diplomatically with other nations etc.

Iran did also have the cartoon aimed at children on their television station glorifying the idea of becoming a suicide bomber. Suicide bombings are not just rhetoric, and are unfortunately put into pracice.

I agree with you that the U.S. is guilty of starting a war, occupuying other nations etc. They deserved to be criticized for that, and even held respsonsible for any crimes committed.

But in all of their rhetoric or even in practice they haven't threatened to wipe another nation off of the map.

Israel has made similar statements about its Arab neighbors, and should also be viewed skeptically.

If the U.S. decided to introduce poison to its water supply, and then Iran introduced poison into its water supply, that doesn't make it ok for Iran to do it because the U.S. did. It was wrong and deserves criticism when the U.S. did it. It was wrong and deserves criticism when Iran did it.

6. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

nobody in iran made this statement that you're speaking of....ahmadinejad was quoting somebody else

iran, just like many other nations and many jews, has a philosophical objection to zionism, the same way people have the same philosophical objections to ideologies like fascism and nazism

this objection is what tehran was articulating

i have no problem with critcism of anybody, but it is entirely too one-sided and it is going beyond criticism with talks of air strikes, war, and sanctions against iran

this is all hypocrisy, especially since iran's hasn't done anything illegal and their behavior as a nation-state is no different and in many cases better than other states

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Isn't Ayat Allah Khomeini in Iran? That's who Ahmadinejad was AGREEING with concerning wiping Israel off the map.

8. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about, because Ayatollah Khomeini died in 1989

9. bobrek

I am talking about the Al-Jazeera new article that references the quote:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/15E6BF77-6F91-46EE-A4B5-A3CE0E9957EA.htm

""As the Imam said, Israel must be wiped off the map," said Ahmadinejad, referring to Iran's revolutionary leader Ayat Allah Khomeini. "

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The current Supreme Leader is Ayatollah Ali Hoseini-Khamenei.

I would think you would know that so are just being purposefully obtuse.

11. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

He said Khomeini not Khamenei

12. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Either way he agreed with the sentiment. Stating that kind of thing, does not show him to a willing diplomatic negotiator.

14. bobrek

He was IN IRAN when he made the statement regardless of when it was made.

Your quote was "Nobody in Iran made this statement....".

First, Khomeini made the statement. Second, Ahmadinejad AGREED with it, regardless of whether or not he said it first.

You should be in Iran's Ministry of Information. You have a good future there.

15. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

look at the articles i've posted about iran in the iran threads and you'll see iran and ahmadinejad have made statements and actions to demonstrate their willingness to negotiate, compromise, and use diplomacy

it's the us and israel that are saber rattling

since you wanna play word games...

there is no evidence to demonstrate that Ayatollah Khomeini made that statement in iran, because he spent over 20 years of his life in exile, thus, unless you can give me a direct citation showing when and where that exact statement (that Ahmadinejad was quoting) was made by Khomeini then you can't say it was made in Iran

also, it should have been evident that i was referring to contemporary iran and not the past or else i would've said 'nobody in iran made that statement ever' and as the article you posted demonstrates nobody in the government has made that statement in years

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree there is an extent of the U.S. saber rattling going on.

However the U.S. has not agreed with any statement saying one nation should be wiped of the map.

Wherever any person said that statement doesn't matter. What matters is that the Ahmadinejad agreed with it.

17. bobrek

I'm playing word games????

Ahmadinejad himself said that Khomeini made the statement. So is he wrong/lying about that?

And wouldn't you agree that the statement being made BY an Iranian is more important than where that Iranian was standing when he made that statement?

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

you're the one that brought all this up

so can you provide evidence in relation to the issues i raised in my previous post or not?

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is always useful to break through the rhetoric of the neocons and the corporate stooges for the Administration who go along for whatever reasons. Juan Cole has been arguing the case for the deliberate falisfication of the translation and its meaning for months on his blog. His latest comments.

Shimon Peres says he wants to remind Iran that it, too, can be wiped off the face of the earth, implying that Israel is capable of obliterating it with its nuclear arsenal. Peres also had the gall to blame Iran for provoking a nuclear arms race in the area!

There is no evidence that Iran has a nuclear weapons program, as opposed to a still backward civilian energy research program. But if you were Iran's security establishment, what would you conclude you had to do after Peres's remarks?

The misquotation of Ahmadinejad, who actually quoted Khomeini as saying, "This occupation regime over Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time," now seems all by itself to be producing visions of nuclear war!

Ahmadinejad, however, has condemned mass killing of any sort and was not threatening military action (he is in any case not in command of the Iranian military). He compares his hope for an end to any Zionist regime in geographical Palestine to Khomeini's prediction that the Soviet Union would one day vanish. It wasn't a hope to kill Soviet citizens, but a desire for regime change. Ahmadinejad's hostility to Israel and his Holocaust denial and bigotry are beneath contempt. But he has not threatened military action, and has no unconventional weapons, and his words, however hurtful, do not constitute a legitimate basis for a war of aggression on Iran.

05/09/06 juancole.com

20. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

you seem like a fair guy

i just dont think rhetoric is as important as actions on the ground and iranian actions demonstrate the opposite of the quote ahmadinejad used