1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Braves ran Andrew Jones through waivers?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by liamrock, Aug 3, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i heard on a local newscast the braves pulled him back.

2. docgundy

docgundy Member

According to Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus, the Astros were awarded the Jones claim.

3. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

ummm....

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow... that's pretty surreal, considering that if the Braves simply said "ok... go to Houston," we'd be on the hook for quite a big boat-load of money.

But, Drayton is so damn cheap.... ;)

5. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

who would you rather have Beltran or Andruw Jones?

For me,its Beltran no question.

6. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

OK, I'll play devils advocate ...

A ploy.

The front office, knowing that the Braves would never allow it to happen, satisfy the fans negative cries, while "trying" to improve for the stretch, & stifle those outlandish Oswalt trade-dangle grumblers.

Hence, this in turn irks the Braves, who will one day "stick it to us" via free agency.

;)

7. Major

Major Member

There's no way the Braves would have done this though. They could trade him for a fortune in the offseason and all they'd be saving is a few million dollars for August/September, while eliminating themselves from the Wildcard race.

This was a no-risk move, and I'd venture to guess 8-10 teams claimed him. The Astros had the worst record so we got him, but its doubtful a deal was ever in the works. He was probably no different than any of about 400 other players (including most of the Astros) that were probably put on waivers and pulled back over the last week. I'd be disappointed if the Astros didn't make a claim, just to prevent anyone else from getting him.

8. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Actullay the Braves might have a harder time reaping that fortune than you think 1) becuase of the 10-5 trade veto power he will have in a couple more days 2) After next year he is a free agent and 3) SCOTT BORAS. If you think the Braves are going to be able to trade Jones anywhere they want for whoever they want think again becuase Boras is going to exploit that 10-5 trade veto power like a flaming sword. If you thought our Beltran situation was bad just watch what plays out in Atlanta this fall and winter or even better next fall and winter when Jones is actually a free agent.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So the Astros blocked Jones from going to another NL team, and at the same time screwing a Boras client. I like it.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Much Ado about Nothing...