1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Knight and the Injured Player Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DM'sVP, Feb 4, 2019.

1. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

This is really a thread started from a hypothetical question that only a few on here can answer correctly.

If the Rockets don’t trade Knight by the deadline AND if he is unable to return to play next season, could the Rockets use the injured player exception to trade for (into the space the exception creates) or sign someone? Could this have been their fallback plan all along?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Knight has played, we have simply chosen not to play him so it doesn't qualify. Usually, those exceptions are after a doctor has ruled a player cannot play at the beginning of the season or has to retire ala Yao and Bosh. They are usually pretty extraordinary circumstances. I think Boston may have got one with Hayward but I may be mistaken. I don't even believe the Pacers got one that year with George when he broke his leg. He did come back at the end of the year.

saleem likes this.
  3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

no.

saleem likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I know the Suns applied for one for Knight. Their application was denied by the league.

saleem likes this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

nope because he's not actually injured, he's just a scrub with 0 trade value ;)

Gorki likes this.
  6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

No..... unless he gets back on the court and gets injured.....but.... there is 0% IF the rockets even got it...they would use it.... 0%.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Bosh is not taxable.
    Knight is not taxable if he is unable to play basketball again for a few years.

yes,
    Disabled Player Exception. Allows a team that is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for either the remainder of that season (for in-season injuries/deaths) or the next season (if the disability occurs during the offseason).

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Hmmm

It would be within MDA's M.O to play a rotation guy heavy minutes.

I could see us "accidentally" get knight injured .

If he has an imbalance or a degenerative condition, more PT is gonna equal higher injury risk .

I know it's backhanded . But I could see Morey do it to improve the team ... and I could def see Tillman do it to save $ hahaha