1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bowl Games

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 7, 2014.

1. Indaface

Indaface Member

This x infinity....that's probably why the SEC gets so much backlash b/c the notion of chanting your conference name is one of the stupidest things ive ever seen.

2. Buck Turgidson

The Columbus Furniture Threat Level has increased from "Natural Light" to "Schlitz"

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I never had a problem with the SEC until we had to sit thru an all SEC national championship game...that and all the A&M fans thinking they are big time because they are mediocre in a different conference :grin:

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The BCS itself may be responsible for much of the SEC "ownership" you speak of. Think about this: If the BCS still applied this year, the title game would have been Alabama vs. Florida State. Alabama likely would have won and the rest of us would be hearing you and other SEC partisans bragging for another 12 months. If the CFP had applied the last several years, we don't know how many times the champion would have been from the SEC.

Again, I'm not anti-SEC at all. The only team I strongly dislike is Alabama (your team is one of my favorite). But watching Alabama's vaunted front 7 get chewed up by Ohio State has blown a huge hole in my opinion. I don't EVER want to hear ESPN talking heads discussing the SEC West "beating up on itself" ever again. That kind of talk needs to be thrown into the garbage can and put out for trash pick up.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ohio State has the better coach.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

At a glance, it seems stupid. But there are nuances that benefit your school in regards to your conference doing well against OOC opponents.

1. It increases public perception of your conference being superior to others, leading to higher rankings
    2. Especially when you do a lot of intra-conference/division red robin.
    3. Bowl win money gets distributed to your whole conference, allowing schools to fund their athletic departments better

The whole SEC as a dominant conference has been manipulated in the past decade in an extremely Biased Crappy System. Thankfully, there's a "playoff" that allows the top of the conferences to play out the games and better establish conference powerhouses. Of course, there needs to be tweaks. An 8-team playoff would probably be the best, but hard to work out with scheduling around bowl/winter break season.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Is it really? FCS and DII both have a 5 round, 24 team playoff. DIII had a 5 round, 32 team playoff. All you need for a 6 or 8 team playoff is 3 weeks. Bowl season this year is 24 days long. There's room to fit in 3 games.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

IMO, either college football needs to go away from super-conferences...institute fair/evenly matched schedules amongst all top schools... and get an organized playoffs. Or, they stick with the current system, which is open to all sorts of interpretation/second guessing/controversy (albeit somewhat mitigated by the 4 team playoff).

You can't have it both ways.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Man, was I wrong... ah well, that's why they play the games!

Yay to playoff systems that cut down on the whining... hopefully this can help the super-conferences realize that perhaps they're all not as good as they think they are, and perhaps they need to get to more uniform scheduling amongst non-conference opponents.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Completely agreed. I never realized it was even a thing until I saw aggie fans with SEC stickers on their vehicles. I've never seen a conference sticker before. As a fan of UT and having many friends who went there, there are no circumstances I can think of in which any of us would pull for OU...and vice versa. I have sooner friends that would never root for the Horns. They don't give a crap what conference they're in.

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Agreed. Realistically...the parity would have been much greater, and that is why the playoff is a good idea and should be happened a long time ago.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think the committee that voted OSU in over TCU and Baylor were breathing sighs of relief after OSU won, last night.

And Cardale Jones. Wow. OSU is gonna have a QB problem next year, especially if Braxton Miller wants to come back to the program.

Miller
    Barrett
    Jones

Three legit college QBs. What a problem to have.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Perhaps Braxton Miller isn't the domino that falls first, but even though they're all saying the right things at this point, I just can't imagine all three quarterbacks being back in Columbus next season.

Really you can make an argument for why each of the three should stay and for why each of the three should transfer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Fun game last night. When Alabama went up 21-6 and the OSU offense had kind of gone into neutral, I thought it was as good as over. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think the mentality for all 3, is that they could see themselves as the starter for OSU / any college football team. So I think 1 out of the 3 decides to stay, while the other two leave.

And to your third comment, I had the opposite thought for the FSU - Oregon game. I thought the 2nd half for that game would be really close, since FSU got the ball back to start the 2nd half, while only trailing by 5. Boy, was I wrong.

I thought Alabama had the game in hand too, at the half.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lane Kiffen was y'all's undoing

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After what J.T. Barrett accomplished, I think Braxton Miller will be the only one that leaves. His time at Ohio State is over and he should get a fresh start somewhere else.

Barrett is the man.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

You've got to be kidding me. Congrats to U of H but **** you Pitt, can't believe I lost the -3.5 play. Worst betting week ever. God dammit

19. Bob Barker 007

Hahahaha as all i have to say. Maybe you should stop gambling. Congrats UH!

20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bama needed to run the ball more. An unhealthy yellow hurt us too. Oh well, we'll get 'em next year!