1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Globe: Austin Rivers at peace with how his career has turned out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think he just matured. He's had a reputation of rubbing people the wrong way since he came into the league. It appears this last season along with having a kid has changed his demeanor.

34to11, Patience, kaleidosky and 3 others like this.
  2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I think we love him now because he has been humbled and learned the lesson. Sadly, I think we lose him after this year because we can only pay him the vet min or non-Bird raise. Faried is too valuable for us and I think he actually will choose the happiness and stability with us over trying to get a short term bigger paycheck somewhere else. I would love to keep Austin along the lines of Green. I think he could be very happy here the rest of his career.

Y2JT, Tfor3 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Beats me too. Being with a vet group like ours is really helping him. I hope he will explode against the Mavs. He needs a really big game on both ends of the floor, to give himself extra confidence.

Tfor3 likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bullard actually commented about this during one of the broadcasts, something to the effect of "that's why poorly managed teams are in the lottery every year"

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't buy the premise that he was supposed to be an NBA star. His time at Duke was ok; outside of one game winning shot, nothing signified that he would be a star in the NBA.

But I guess "decent prospect turns into mediocre NBA player" isn't as catchy of a story.

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Having seen Rivers play, I think he makes Gerald Green obsolete. As much as Green has contributed to the Rockets, going forward I think Rivers would be the one to keep.

chadyang likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think it's gonna be hard but i hope we can resign him, i love what he brings for this team.

PHX gonna PHX ;)

roslolian and saleem like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's the guy you hate when he's on the other team but the guy you love when he is on your team.

Y2JT likes this.
  9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Not Marc Jackson, or any other Knick for that matter

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I disagree. I think that's Pat, Russ, and others of that ilk. Austin seems like he was someone others hated, but his own team probably was just ok on earlier. And he has grown, matured, etc into someone that his team loves, and others are just ok on. I don't think he's actually hated by other teams now, unless they're remembering his past.

34to11 and roslolian like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Excellent. Feel free to return to the Rockets on a 120% raise on your vet minimum contract! Done and done.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I understand but the thing is there is literally no benefit for them by waiving Rivers its like a paying a robber to rob your house. There has to be a limit to stupidity lol. Why lose a player when you are still paying his salary by waiving him?

It was one thing if Rivers is the one who wanted out but apparently Rivers didnt want to be waived. And this is the same PHX team who signed vets like Ariza and traded for Scrubberson for "vet leadership" so they did want productive vets in the team.

Makes 0 sense no matter what angle I look at it. Maybe Sarver just found Rivers irritating for some reason.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yeppers, words are cheaper than contracts; what might it take, Gerald er Austin???

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

People hated Rivers because he went to his dad not really because of his playstyle.

Most players grew up in low income households and had to fight against adversity to get in the NBA so obv they would hate a priveleged dude who went to Duke suddenly use his dad to secure his contract.

Guys like LMM busted their ass for a vet min deal but here is Rivers getting paid 10M because his dad is coach and the GM. Thats why he got a lot of hate IMHO.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree with the nepotism concerns. And I disliked him too once upon a time, but he was never in jeopardy of being out of NBA.

Rivers may not be an allstar but is a bonafide pro.

Very glad he's a Rocket now.

Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  16. YallMean

YallMean Member

His defensive effort is consistent. Stays with his man and very disciplined without fouling much.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How do you like something more than once?

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He has a very punchable face, particularly when he’s not on your team. Not his fault. Coaches son stigma didn’t help either.

I was at a Clippers game a couple years back and had the opportunity to sit next to the Rockets bench, basically a couple feet from Montrezl Harrell. Rivers gets ejected and then Doc gets ejected about 5 minutes later. Harrell says “Uh oh daddy couldn’t wait to get in their and whoop that boys ass.”

chadyang and pippendagimp like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Austin should guard Lillard and Mr. No Layups for considerable periods if Portland clashes with Houston in the playoffs.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Throw in a second year player option too. Would be awesome if Faried would be open to the same.

I am hoping the Rockets can pick up Jamychal Green with the MLE this summer. Someone who can back up and maybe play some minutes together with PJ.

saleem, chadyang and BaselineFade like this.