1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

boselli retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jul 15, 2003.

1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Man, I was really looking forward to Boselli playing. He woulda helped us out a lot, but we'll be okay. F**k those Jacksonville idiot doctors.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And I don't fault them for doing so. You win some, you lose some.

Personally, I think the Texans saw this coming. That's why they signed Zak.

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't either. It was an expensive risk that didn't turn out. At least he restructured his contract to give the Texans some cap relief.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I fault them, they blew the first freaking pick in their history. Not a good way to start off. Blaming Jacksonville is weak, the Texans could do the research themselves. All this Texans are so classy crap should also end. (That isn't directed at you in particular drummer)

If the Texans were so CLASSY why did they keep LYING about his injury. Yes, LYING, they kept telling us he would be ready in a few weeks last season, week after week, the all of sudden, "Oh, he's gonna miss the whole season." Anybody who believes they didn't know he was gonna miss the whole season weeks prior to the annoucement, I have some beachfront property in Arizona for sale.

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I don't understand what youre saying. So what if they "blew the pick".

It was an expansion draft. So what. We were the only ones picking. It's not like we wasted a first rounder on him.

It cost the team some cap money this year and next and we weren't going to sign any big name free agents anyways.

So we lost out. Big deal.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

the texans took boselli off of Jacksonville's hands based on an agreement that allowed the Texans to take Gary Walker and Seth Payne. To me, that alone justifies the move.

Also, the source that first broke the news of Tony Boselli retiring up until the announcement had said Tony Boselli planned on playing this year but wouldn't no for sure until he put on the pads. So, i don't think anyone lied.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't get the we were the only ones picking argument. They blew money and time and set the offensive line back a number of years with the pick, or have you forgotten their infamous sack record???

Believe me, I'm not one of these people who thought the Texans could have won 7 games last year and I was pleased with their performance. But I just don't like how the media gives the team a free pass on Boselli. It was a dumb risk. And I also think they lied last year when they kept saying they thought he could play and all of sudden he couldn't play.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm talking about last year, when they kept saying he might be able to play, week after week, for about the first 6 weeks, then all of sudden they goes from he might be able to play to he's out for the season. This year, I think everyone honestly thought he could play.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I still don't understand what you're saying.

How did the Boselli pick set back the offensive line a number of years?

Let's assume we didn't take Boselli in the expansion draft. Would our offensive line been better? No. it wouldve still sucked regardless.

You make it sound like we gave up something for him. We didn't.

Yes we spent some money but that will be over next year.

The Texans may not have been 100% sure about Boselli but imo it was worth it. Why? Because they wanted to use their top picks on skilled position players instead of wasting them on OL.

Boselli was the best player available with a questionable shoulder. Who wouldve we taken instead of him?

It was a gamble that just didn't pay off.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This needs to be emphasized.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

do you remember the brown's first freaking pick in their history? likely not, because he played all of 18 games for cleveland -- guy by the name of jim pyne. and how, exactly, did it impact their franchise?

let's not be so quick to don the role of drama queen. their expansion draft yielded two pro bowlers and two more foundation pieces, not to mention two additional starters. by any measure, it was an unqualified success, boselli or no boselli.

revisionist history. the company line remained consistent throughout; the dates changed, but the team played it conservatively from the start. nothing was ever said definitively that he would in fact play last year.

they qualified their statements at every turn.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How much did Jim Pyne cost????

As for qualifying their statements there's still a big difference between he could be back in a few weeks and he's out for the season. I just think they weren't up front with his injury information throughout the season.

14. Hey Now!

so cost is now the issue? i thought you were upset they blew their first pick? why is cost suddenly an issue? who cares how much he cost?

it sounds an awful lot like you're b****ing for the sake of b****ing. who cares if they weren't upfront; hell, who cares if they lied? it impacted who how?

the texans took a chance; it backfired. no big deal, not at this early stage in their development. this isn't going to sink them and he'll be off their books before they're expected to make a playoff run.

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

$2.215 million was his annual salary when the Browns released him, but I'm pretty sure that was a contract he signed after he arrived in Cleveland.

For what it's worth, more than half of the players the Browns picked in their expansion draft didn't even make their team that year, and only four (out of the 37 taken) remained on their team by 2002.

I don't know, though, if the Texans don't take a chance on Boselli and don't end up with Payne and Walker, is their future as good?

And if the Texans hadn't taken Boselli, would their O-line be any better anyway? As far as I know, the Texans were not prevented from competing for free agents or drafting OTs by the Boselli contract.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I mentioned costs in my second post. Thanks for playing mr. revisionist history.

17. Hey Now!

i wasn't responding to your second post, but since you mentioned it...

anyway, as i was saying, who cares how much he cost? did they spend your money? how did his salary impact the team?

and what time did they blow? account for it. they had three years to get ready for the expansion draft and you're complaining that they blew time?

and how did boselli set the offensive line back years? if anything, it helped the offensive line. his absence gave guys like pitts and weary a chance to get their feet wet as rookies; it gave the coaches a chance to evaluate other younger players forced into action. it gave boselli a chance to work individually with alot of the younger players since he wasn't on the field trying to hold them off.

it was a risk; it backfired. but it's not a cataclysmic as you're making it sound. teams routinely blow draft picks, et al. it happens.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If true, which it probably is...It may be good news in that we now know what we get to start and continue with. We wouldn't have gotten yesterday's Boselli anyhow...

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well since everyone seems to be alright with the Texans helping clear all that cap space for a division opponent, I guess I will concede.

20. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

The Jacksonville Jaguars blow. Who cares what they do.