1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Well, I'd like to start reading more.
    The only book I've read in the past year is Bill Oreilly's killing Kennedy, which was great.

What books would you recommend?

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Like... any genre? Cause that's so wide open, I hardly know where to start.

I guess I'd say first go read Ender's Game before the movie comes out and ruins it. I hate Card's (original author's) politics, but Ender's Game is a sci-fi classic. In my experience even people who don't consider themselves "sci-fi people" have loved it.

I also recommend Watership Down, which is just a great adventure with some surprising poignancy and depth, considering it's all about athropomorphized rabbits.

Those are the two books I recommend to pretty much everyone. While I'm at it, the Dresden Files are great fun, extremely funny and compulsively readable. The first one is just okay, but they start getting better fast. There's like a dozen of them out now.

4. what

what Member

One of the funniest and interesting books is The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Sterne.

It rivals Confederacy of Dunces, which you will people will recommend. For that matter, anybody whose read and enjoyed Confederacy of Dunces will LOVE Tristram Shandy. It is such a unique book that it rivals books by the new york writer Paul Auster in inventiveness.

Also, for pure narrative bliss and outstanding writing, I particularly think that Tobias Wolff books are exceptional. You can't get any better in modern prose. But it all depends on what you like.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Steve Jobs, whether you hate him or love him.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Playboy...cuz all they got now are the articles.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody who plays fantasy football/baseball/etc. should really try out Matthew Berry's Fantasy Life. Really fun read.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

For a fantasy series, I'm really enjoying Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first book's a bit confusing, but they get much better.

Not even close to the same vein as Killing Kennedy, though.

9. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I read the first one and was bored. Although at least I half-expected it going in... I was told it was a lot like Glen Cook's Black Company books, and I didn't like those either. Obviously these guys have large audiences, but they're not for me.

Give me George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire or Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies for epic fantasy and Butcher's Dresden Files for light and hilarious urban fantasy. Just one man's opinion.

Incidentally, while I'm here, my favorite sci-fi other than maybe Ender's Game is Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos.