1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bombing in Coptic Church in Egypt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, Dec 19, 2016.

1. SuraGotMadHops

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't agree with the argument you seem to be making -- that we shouldn't point out and try to address problems at home because people are suffering more outside our borders.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Not saying we shouldn't address issues here, but comparatively speaking we are no where near the level of oppression religious minorities in other countries such as Egypt have suffered/continue to suffer.

4. dmoneybangbang

Then stop trying to control the Middle East, the West created this problem by meddling in the Middle East post world war 1 in order to secure energy.

Focus on education and providing opportunities for young people in a meaningful way while leaving the Middle East mostly alone.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nonsense.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Nope. Its much easier for simple minded folks to just yell "teh Islam is evil" but the world is more nuanced.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The Copts have been persecuted by Muslims since 639 AD. Your apologist BS is nonsense.

8. dmoneybangbang

Your hatred for Muslims clouds your vision. Were they being prosecuted in 1907? And by which Muslim sect?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Why are you picking 1907? Egypt was a Christian country until 639 AD. Forceful conversions followed. There are tons of sources for all of this. Some periods were worse, some slightly less gruesome. Fact of the matter is, they have been and are persecuted, for many many centuries, long before oil came into play, yet, you try to pin blame for this on the West. You are an idiot, you have already proven that many many times on this forum.

http://copticsolidarity.com/images/pdf/persecution in egypt_brochure.pdf

10. dmoneybangbang

Countries have changed religious quite a few times... Especially Egypt. Just wondering if they were being persecuted in 1907 when Egypt left the Ottoman Empire.

I've proved I have nauanced thinking in contrast to your generalizations.

11. SuraGotMadHops

AroundtheWorld is absolutely correct, and unfortunately, not many are aware that Copts are the indigenous people of Egypt. The systematic persecution by muslims dissolved the Copts into an unprotected religious minority, and the language of Egypt (Coptic) was taken over with Arabic. Don't blame the West or oil for this one, this is one religion persecuting another into obscurity.

Do you really think a bombing inside a church of praying Egyptians is somehow a protest against the West's interference in the middle east? What statement are you making by attacking your own countrymates?

12. dmoneybangbang

Religious prosecution is human history. Africa and South America are still trying to recover from Catholicism and Protestantism.

I think the rise of radical Islam in the 20th and 21st century is a function of the West's meddling in their affairs.

If you actually care about the Coptics then I will walk away, but these threads reek of Muslim bashing.

13. SuraGotMadHops

I myself am Coptic and I do care, very much. My dad had to flee Egypt to come to the States to avoid religious persecution. I understand the theory of radical Islam taking shape in response to West interference, but in the instance of Egypt and the Copts, the persecution at the hands of Islam there is much longer term, very real, and has no connection to any perceived Western meddling. Again, how does a bombing of women and children in a church, in Egypt, by terrorists from Egypt, have anything to do with a response against the West?

14. dmoneybangbang

Like I said, I assumed this was a Muslim bashing thread and you were just picking an incident to pile on. However, if the region was allowed to modernize like the West then these issues would more than likely not be happening anymore (edit) or with less frequency.

15. Nook

Nook Member

So now we are going to ignore history to protect this idea of political correctness? We are going to ignore the basic history of Islam, of the Middle East and of the treatment of minority groups in the Middle East because it might be offensive to the groups committing the acts? Now THAT is offensive and dangerous.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You should be embarrassed.

17. dmoneybangbang

Why? I assumed the OP was like you and HoneyBear who just generalizes Muslims.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Be "allowed to modernize"? Who the hell do you think is keeping the Middle East from modernizing? Who do you think wants a majority of the Middle East to lack a formal education and not understand basic concepts? It isn't the West.... it is Muslims. The brand of Islam practiced in large areas of the Middle East is the faith, law and culture. Modernity challenges that. Do you really think the tribal ramblings of a mediocre intellectual "prophet" that lived 1600 years ago would be able to compete and thrive and force its will with an educated and successful population in the Middle East? It is why Islam is threatened and insecure about everything; it cannot compete. It doesn't render itself to simple and larger valuable principles like Christianity that morphs into a secular culture.

19. dmoneybangbang

Huh? Folks who prefer the status quo kept Islam from modernizing. Folks in the West who prefer governments who will do their bidding for cheap energy and inmans who prefer uneducated followers.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are an idiot.