1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Body cam police in Ohio release K-9 dog onto Black man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Body cam video shows police in Ohio release K-9 dog onto Black man as he appeared to be surrendering

Body camera footage shows a police officer in Ohio releasing a K-9 dog on a truck driver despite commands to stop the dog from at least one state trooper. The dog was released as the man, who is Black, appeared to be surrendering after a chase earlier this month.

The incident, captured on the morning of July 4, is now being investigated by U.S., state and local police in Ohio.

The officer who released the dog was identified Monday as Ofc. Ryan Speakman of the Circleville Police Department, the department's chief of police said in a statement.

Speakman has been placed on paid administrative leave as the incident is investigated by the department's Use of Force Review Board, Circleville police chief G. Shawn Baer said in a statement.

"We take all such incidents and the actions of our officers very seriously. When the Review Board's investigation is completed, we will release the results and any further action taken," Baer said.

State troopers say they were attempting to inspect a semi-truck on U.S. Route 23 in Ohio, noticing a missing rear mud flap. The truck's driver, 23-year-old Jadarrius Rose, didn't pull over, leading to a pursuit with multiple police cruisers.

Eventually, Rose did stop, but when officers exited their vehicles with guns drawn, he pulled away, tearing his left tire by speeding through a spike strip, effectively ending the chase.

Body cam footage shows Rose then exiting the vehicle and seemingly complying with officers' instructions, with his hands up. A state trooper can be heard telling the local Circleville police not to release their K-9 onto Rose, saying, "Do not release the dog with his hands up! Do not release the dog with his hands up!"

Despite at least one warning, an officer released the dog and it bit Rose, holding its grip for over 30 seconds while Rose screamed for officers to intervene.

An officer can be heard yelling, "Get the dog off of him!" The dog was eventually pulled away from Rose, who was then handcuffed before officers called for first aid. He was bleeding heavily and taken to a local hospital.

Rose was later jailed for three days before being released.

He was seemingly unarmed. There is no mention of any weapon in the police report about the incident.

Brian Higgins, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said part of the problem appeared to be miscommunication between state and local police.

"When you have other agencies ... that then descend on the incident, they have to be in some sort of agreement as to what the use of force practices will be," said Higgins.

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the incident occurred on I-35.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/police...be-surrendering-circleville-body-cam-footage/

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

When you run from the police, you lose the benefit of the doubt. This truck driver put these officers and those on the road in serious danger. He’s not a victim.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree the LEO had a duty to stop him and even with weapons drawn given that he was speeding through devices meant to stop his vehicle. Clearly though he was surrendering with his hands up and at least on LEO was saying to not release the dog. That was absolutely excessive and either extreme negligence on the part of the LeO for failing to control the dog or maliciousness.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is a general statement to the board.

LEO have a duty to protect even to suspects who have been taken into custody. This has always been the law and was proven in the George Floyd, Daunte Wright and other recent cases that have found LEO guilty.

5. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Is it safe to say it now? Are we thinking rationally again? George Floyd died of a drug overdose. 8 drugs in his system. Not from an officer kneeling on his back.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Would you bet your life on that and volunteer to be Floyd in an exact reenactment without the drugs in your system?

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Being an edgelord is somewhat acceptable if you are like 14. Even then it's a sign of social isolation as a teen. But I know you ain't 14. So that means you stunted with brain development at a very early age. If you lived a life of privilege like being some property manager or real estate investor I can see that being the source of stunting. People emotionally stop maturing once they achieved financial success where their privilege is something they only see as hurting their ego.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Great news for Derek Chauvin! I’m sure that’s a comfort for him while he sits in jail.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

TJ can say what he wants but I’ve never believed he is a serious poster. I do appreciate though that he gave me a springboard to address the issue of duty of care for LEO as a legal standard.

He set that up better than if I had written a rhetorical counter argument.

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Chauvin was a casualty of trying to keep riots reduced across the country. This is a dirty little secret as to why so many illogical "social justice" programs exist... and affirmative action (what's left of it)... it's not out of kindness... it's to try to throw juuuuust enough to certain communities so that they don't revolt and upset the social order. Sad, but true. It's a practice that goes back to ancient civilizations.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is just gold Jerry! GOLD!

Ottomaton and ROCKSS like this.