1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobby Petrino

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by A_3PO, Apr 6, 2012.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Been waiting on someone here to start a thread on Petrino but since nobody has...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/coll...on-leave-at-arkansas-after-crash-coverup.html

Bobby Petrino on leave at Arkansas after crash, coverup

By KURT VOIGT AP Sports Writer

Last Modified: Apr 6, 2012 09:37AM

[​IMG]
    Arkansas football coach Bobby Petrino speaks
    during a news conference in Fayetteville, Ark.
    Petrino has been put on paid leave after it was
    revealed that Petrino had 25-year-old Jessica
    Dorrell with him during a weekend motorcycle
    ride that ended in a crash

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Bobby Petrino has improved every step of the way at Arkansas — not just his team’s performance but his image.

The coach’s revelation Thursday of an inappropriate relationship and his attempt to cover it up now threatens to derail all the progress Petrino has made in four seasons.

Arkansas is expected to return to spring practice Friday afternoon, led by a pair of Heisman Trophy hopefuls in quarterback Tyler Wilson and running back Knile Davis.

The team will do so without Petrino, who was put on administrative leave Thursday night after athletic director Jeff Long learned Petrino had failed to disclose he had been riding with a female employee half his age when his motorcycle skidded off the road over the weekend.

Petrino said he had been concerned about protecting his family and keeping an “inappropriate relationship from becoming public.”

It was as stunning admission for a highly successful coach who prides himself on complete control and intense privacy in his personal life. Petrino will now await his fate while Long conducts a review.

Whether his uncertain status affects the Razorbacks remains to be seen.

“I will fully cooperate with the university throughout this process and my hope is to repair my relationships with my family, my athletic director, the Razorback Nation and remain the head coach of the Razorbacks,” he said in a statement issued by the university.

Long announced the decision to put Petrino on leave at a late-night news conference, one that was reminiscent of when the former Atlanta Falcons coach was hired by the Razorbacks on Dec. 11, 2007. Long said he had no timeline in determining Petrino’s future with the Razorbacks.

“I’m at the beginning of the review. I don’t know what I’m going to find,” Long said. “I am disappointed that coach Petrino did not share with me, when he had the opportunity to, the full extent of the accident and who was involved.”

Petrino just completed his fourth season with the Razorbacks, who have developed into a national contender under his watch — improving their win total each season. He’s 34-17 in four seasons at the school, 21-5 over the last two, and the Hogs finished last season ranked No. 5 after losing only to national champion Alabama and runner-up LSU.

He came to Fayetteville after a 13-game stint with the Atlanta Falcons in 2007 season. He endured plenty of criticism on his way out of Atlanta, from fans and former players alike, for leaving at midseason.

Before that he was at Louisville, guiding the Cardinals to a 41-9 record from 2003-07. When he left to take the NFL job, there were plenty of people who felt he departed in a less than admirable way and had been constantly eyeing other jobs while he was there.

He infamously met with Auburn officials in 2003 to talk about taking the Tigers’ head coaching job while Tommy Tuberville still had it.

But Petrino was greeted as a savior by Arkansas fans and has given them no reason not to admire and trust him since.

Until now.

Long said he didn’t hear about the passenger — 25-year-old Jessica Dorrell, a former Arkansas volleyball player and current football program employee — until Petrino called him Thursday afternoon, minutes before a police report was released disclosing her presence at the accident.

Assistant head coach and linebackers coach Taver Johnson has been put in charge of the program in Petrino’s absence. The former Ohio State assistant coach was hired in January.

Long’s investigation could lead, based on conduct clauses in Petrino’s contract, to a suspension or firing. While this case does not appear to involve any possible NCAA violations, Jim Tressel’s firing at Ohio State last year showed that even a coach who won a national championship can lose his job for lying to his boss.

“I hope to have a resolution soon,” Long said. “I certainly don’t have all the answers here tonight, as we meet. But again, I have an obligation and responsibility to obtain the information and then act appropriately on that information.”

The 51-year-old Petrino, who is married with four children, didn’t mention he had a passenger during a news conference on Tuesday, two days after Sunday’s accident, and a school statement that day quoted Petrino’s family as saying “no other individuals” were involved. Petrino said then that he had spent Sunday with his wife, Becky, at a lake and was going for an evening ride. His only mention of Dorrell was vague, and without identification.

“When I came out of the ditch, there was a lady there that had flagged down a car,” Petrino said Tuesday, nursing four broken ribs and wearing a neck brace to support a cracked neck vertebra. “The guy that was in the passenger’s seat said, ‘Get in, we’ll just take you right to the hospital instead of waiting,’ and so I got in the car and they headed toward Fayetteville.”

In Thursday’s statement, Petrino apologized and acknowledged that he had kept quiet about Dorrell.

“I have been in constant pain, medicated and the circumstances involving the wreck have come out in bits and pieces. That said, I certainly had a concern about Jessica Dorrell’s name being revealed,” he said. “In hindsight, I showed a serious mistake in judgment when I chose not to be more specific about those details. Today, I’ve acknowledged this previous inappropriate relationship with my family and those within the athletic department administration.”

Dorrell, who did not return a call seeking comment, was hired March 28 by Petrino as the student-athlete development coordinator after serving as a fundraiser with the Razorback Foundation. She is in charge of organizing the recruiting process for the football team, including initial eligibility for each incoming player.

Long said he had not decided whether to suspend Dorrell.

Petrino — a Helena, Mont., native — signed a new seven-year contract in December 2010 after completing his third regular season at Arkansas. The contract was for an average of $3.53 million annually.

The police report said Petrino was riding with Dorrell when he lost control of his motorcycle. Dorrell said in the report that she wasn’t sure what caused the accident, during which Petrino was unable to maneuver a turn and laid the motorcycle down on its left side while sliding off a rural, two-lane road about 20 miles southeast of Fayetteville.

Petrino said in the report that wind and sun caused the accident. The police report said Petrino and Dorrell were taken by a passer-by to an intersection in southeast Fayetteville, where a state police officer took Petrino to the hospital.

The police report said Dorrell wasn’t taken to a hospital, and that she was dropped off at her vehicle, which was parked at the intersection. State police spokesman Bill Sadler said Petrino didn’t try to hide Dorrell’s part in the accident when questioned on Tuesday.

“Coach Petrino was as cooperative as anybody that we could ever hope to encounter following the traffic crash,” Sadler said.

Petrino, who wasn’t wearing a helmet, was hospitalized but had since returned to practice.

Arkansas has high expectations for next season, led by first-team All-Southeastern Conference quarterback Wilson. Also, Davis’ return after missing all of last season with an ankle injury has only added to the high hopes.

How Petrino’s misstep affects those hopes has yet to be seen. The next move is Long’s.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Scumbag all the way.

Karma'd.

3. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

I wonder if her fiance will still marry her

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are both consenting adults. None of our business, really.

DD

5. smokieethabear

Agreed... he didn't break any law... this has no effect on his coaching/recruiting ability.. he shouldn't be on leave or suspsended or anything like that..

6. Major

Major Member

He lied to his employer and has behavior clauses in his contract. He also just hired this person a few days before the accident - if he hired her for inappropriate reasons, he's got problems there too.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He probably broke some rules of his contract. Hiring your mistress is probably against some policy at most companies.

If he can get a hot 25 year old chick more power to him.

[​IMG]

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah agreed about that part, him hiring her is a bit much, but lots of guys hire their wives.

If the Uni fires him fine, if his wife leaves him....his fault....but they are consenting adults in this situation.

DD

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He's been a scumbag at every stop in his career. Not sure why Arkansas thought he would change for them. While they might be consenting adults, and didn't do anything ILLEGAL.....the University still has an image to uphold, and having their head football coach running around with a mistress that he hired is a pretty big black mark.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

maybe she needed a ride on his scooter

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I disagree. This isn't pro ball(well, I guess it probably is at Arkansas), a college coach has to go into a recruits home and win over not only the recruit, but the recruits parents. The Coach needs to be seen as an upstanding individual, someone that a parent would feel comfortable with. Petrino will most definitely lose his job over this.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Living the dream. Godspeed.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, errrbody hates Rick Pitino, he never gon' get any recruits or win......

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I didn't say Petrino couldn't get any recruits or win. Arkansas will always get most of the best recruits from Arkansas, and may play winning football. But, I do think Arkansas will lose some recruits if Petrino stays. Just my opinion.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KNIZofPB8ZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. smokieethabear

I guess I didn't know all the details that this person was his mistress and he hired her. I thought all he did was cheat on his wife w/ a 25 yr old.. which well.. is pretty common.. but him being the person who hired her essentially was a case of quid pro quo so I'm sure a law/contract was broken there... The AD should just call him in to his office on Monday and be like "Bobby, you're fired!!!"

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm certain this will happen. The AD just wants to make sure his decision isn't emotional and that they get a replacement lined up. He is probably letting respected associates make every possible rational argument for keeping Petrino just to make sure all things are considered.

I will be shocked if he isn't fired by Monday or Tuesday. No way they can keep him.

18. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

just another scumbag coach. nothing else to see here.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I bet he wont get fired. And what if she was qualified for the job? She looks qualified. :cool:

20. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Not shocked that the media is NOT going hard at Petrino for lying, and cheating on his wife. But if this were lets say Mike Tomlin i think the media coverage would be a LOT different

Bobby Petrino isnt some no name scrub coach, he has coached in the NFL before. So dont tell me its not the same

The media chooses which stories to blow up... and most of it comes down to race