1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: We’re working on getting a quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'd be fairly happy if they landed any of those 3. None are great - but they're above-average and good enough for us to win 9, 10+ games.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I've seen many times when people talk about a specific year being a good one for QBs. Then that year happens and several QBs crap the bed or fall out of favor for one reason or another.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Who? We are not going to get any good either this year, Bob. We could get one last year, but we passed.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Of those 3, only Bradford might be available. Denver isn't letting go of Brock and Washington isn't letting go of Kirk.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Who could we have gotten last year?

Winston and Mariota went in the first two picks and there were no good QBs after that. The best FA QB might've been Josh McCown and Hoyer wasn't really all that different. Eagles traded for Bradford but only because they put up their own starting QB and I don't think STL would've dealt Bradford for Fitzpatrick.

So who is this mythical QB that we could've gotten last year that would've solved our QB problems?

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    or this if they had the foresight to buy low

[​IMG]

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What about bringing in Nick Foles on the cheap? Was awesome in Philly... and terrible in St. Louis. Wouldn't be a bad (cheap) lotto ticket?

8. Cannonball

I'd only question how much room we have on the roster and what the Texans value. I think we'll have a rookie and I think Savage remains. Do you use the extra slot to keep Hoyer, who probably knows OBs system as well as anyone, to mentor the rookie? Or do you use that spot to take a flyer on a guy like Foles?

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Any philly or rams fans that can shed light why he was so good and then so bad?

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

The problem is, is that you don't know which QB's are going to pan out. You just don't know. But if you never draft one, you're not ever going to have one. And, it doesn't always have to be a first rounder. But, why settle for guys like Hoyer?

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

system

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We have drafted Carr, Ragone, Henson, Symons, Brink, Yates, and Savage. We also brought in young FAs, like Leinart and Keenum. They all sucked.

Point is, you can't say we "never" draft QBs.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not saying we never HAVE. I'm talking about going forward. And ,we haven't drafted many QB's in the early rounds. I mean it's unlikely an elite QB is just going to fall in our lap.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Bridgewater, we can trade up, and got him.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This town would have burned NRG down if we had drafted Derrick Carr.
    -fact-

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or we could have just not done that and picked by far the best QB in the class, Derek Carr with our 2nd round pick. Why trade up for an inferior QB?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That said....it would have been interesting if we picked Bridgewater because it would have set up a first round playoff matchup between Alex Smith and half ass Alex Smith.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Not sure about Cook or Hack but want Lynch, Goff, or Wentz. Question would be what it would take to move up

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Both Bridgewater and Carr would be better than any QBs in this year draft? Do not know what Bob is talking about? Sign a free agent QB? This owner is just clueless.

20. Cannonball

You said last year.

This year's draft/offseason = 2016.
    Last year's draft/offseason = 2015.

Bridgewater was 2014.