1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair Passes Away. R.I.P

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Remix, Nov 23, 2018.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d go with Mr Rogers if we were making bets on the least racist famous old white dude

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

There are other children as well. It would likely become a bigger issue when Mrs. McNair passes.

I hope the team is sold eventually.

raining threes likes this.
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Rip to this man that brought the joy of football back to Houston...

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's been running the team more and more over the last few years to where he's been the de facto owner pretty much all season long. Bob McNair was a fantastic owner, no matter what anyone says, we can hope that Cal will continue that into the future. So far I see no reason to think that he won't do a good job just like his dad did.

Blatz likes this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

What a ridiculous thing to say. All owners want to win. McNair spared no expense in order to give the Texans the best chance to succeed.

If you want to disagree with some of the decisions he made, well ok. But, saying that an owner doesn't want to win is just stupid.

csj, Daddy Long Legs, mario_v and 2 others like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lol. There are owners that only care about making a profit. Look at the Bengals. Bob was questionable himself with how loyal he’s been to mediocre coaching and management.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Thank you for your service #Salute

And very well said.

Shark44 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

9. raining threes

Bob wasn't a fantastic owner.

Hopefully Cal does better.

Letting Smith go and bringing in Gaine was a good start.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We can agree to disagree on that.

11. raining threes

Some fans live in denial when it comes to this.

12. raining threes

What makes you think he was a fantastic owner?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He refrained from interference almost always, he was never cheap, he never had a quick trigger with coaches or staff which made the Texans always a preferable destination for top talent.

I mean, there's not much more you can want in an owner. Just look at the previous NFL owner in Houston if you want to see what a bad owner actually looks like.

14. jcf

jcf Member

I hope so too, and while there are exceptions, I usually think the person who made the money is more competent than the one who inherited it. But, who knows. They also say, the first generation makes it, the second grows it and the third loses it all.

15. jcf

jcf Member

None of this was meant to detract from the main point of the thread which was to acknowledge the passing of Bob McNair. RIP.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

As an owner you want someone who doesn’t meddle too much but isn’t so laid back that he lets the people he appoints run wild with poor decision making. The worst football criticism you can make about McNair is that he stayed with guys out of loyalty for longer than they probably deserved. But on the flip side, an environment of loyalty and trust is attractive to a lot of outside players and personnel. I think he absolutely valued winning but was less aggressive than fans would like to see especially when the franchise hasnt been tremendously successful. But he was by no means a bad owner. He brought the NFL back to Houston and may he Rest In Peace.

whag00, mario_v and donkeypunch like this.
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I will never forget Jonathan Joseph talking about Houston as compared to Cincy.

The professionalism of the organization is plus plus.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

lol...training camp at greenbrier, state of the art facilities, etc are not exactly signs of an organization/ owner only about the profit.

Capers was let go after the wheels came off in 2005. The team was improving in each his first 3 seasons so it wouldn’t have made any sense to let him go any earlier. Kubiaks teams were in the playoffs in 11 and 12 and he was let go during 13 so again it wouldn’t have made any sense to let him go sooner. I may not be a fan of O’Brien but the organization felt his work with Watson was worth keeping him around and so far we can’t argue with the decision considering they are 7-3.

Newlin and mario_v like this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This.

Joseph did come off somewhat petty though; I remember him complaining about not getting free gatorade in Cincy, but those little things make huge impacts/differences in a players appeal to a franchise and organization.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's the small things that mark the difference between good ownership and cheap ownership. Millionaire players come off petty when they complain about having to pay for drinks or towels.....but billionaire owners come off worse charging their players for things like that. I would never want an owner that thought they had to nickel and dime their players for stuff like that. Companies can be the same, I know people who work in offices where they have to pay for their own water coolers and bottled water....when companies or owners cut corners with the cheap stuff, you know they are going to screw you on the big stuff so I wouldn't even consider working for a company like that.