1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Board posters are just clueless...Knee jerk reactions to draft picks.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

2. Buck Turgidson

The McNairs have always been fat and content.

3. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO Winning a World Series in 2017 doesn't give the Astros a pass? From winning 103 games the next year? To likely winning 100 games this year?

Yet the ******* Texans get a pass why exactly? Because you like them? The Texans have never gotten past the divisional playoff level! O'Brien has won 33 games in 4 years... he is 33-31 overall! The Texans have been outscored in the playoffs 99-49 under O'Brien! Hell, they would have lost the one playoff game they won if the Raiders didn't lose their quarterback.... the Raiders!

Mr. Clutch and tmoney1101 like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Can we also read the threads where the real-time reactions got it right? Kevin Johnson, Braxton Miller, Martinas Rankin, Jaelen Strong; and on the positive end (Zach Cunningham, Justin Reid, Deshaun Watson, etc).

tmoney1101, red5rocket and Nook like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Come on..... the exude competitiveness and being on the cutting edge of football decision making........ at lease Cal doesn't have his glasses on backwards.

[​IMG]

Seriously, how can anyone fell good about this? it is straight out of Space Balls

Joshfast likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Rankin is a finished product? He was hurt all offseason. No way you can say anyone was right on him. Braxton Miller? Many on this board wanted him ....lol, same with Strong. Value picks...they said.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....I like the Astros (and Rockets) better than the Texans. I was an Oilers fan growing up. I've been a rockets and Astros fan for 42 years (when I really can remember them). The Texans have done ONE thing right as a franchise, getting first round pick right 75% of the time (which is top 3 in the NFL since the Texans' inception). David Carr, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, and Kevin Johnson are the only ones u can say under performed. 4 out of 16. 3 of those "bust" were in the first 6 seasons of the team. So the track record in the first round is GREAT. I will give them the benefit of the doubt in THIS round only.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol. Season didnt start yet and mr scarface at it again blindly defending this pathetic incompetent team. Who the hell drafts a raw but talented projected 3rd round player when we need a starter right away to protect our star qb.

U shouldnt draft players with potential unless theres no better player available.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Babin was worth a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick?

vinsensual, meh and IBTL like this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

We knew Rankin was a G/C yet Texans try to pass him off as a RT. That was bad. We were right on that. I remember hating the Braxton pick especially since they just drafted Fuller a couple rounds earlier. Plus he's another (dull) swiss army knife player. Strong was a trade-up that we didn't like. All that said, not all "knee-jerk reactions" are wrong. They are real-time reactions. Relax. No one is selling their season-tickets because of it. There is disappointment and a let-down. You're making it seem like Clutchfans is picketing around NRG stadium.

#50 Nimo, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    awc713, arkoe, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Babin wasn't a bust, he just wasn't a Pro Bowl player. They traded him and he ended up with a 14 year NFL career.

Remember.....that was in the first 6 years. Charley Casserly was HORRIBLE.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Gaine seems like a specimen shopper. With that sultry voice I wouldnt be surprised if there is some extreme nastiness going on..young versatile offensive tackles...Does cal mcnair have vocal chords? Im not convinced cal mcnair is able to speak and i think we are looking at nuclear winter with this team.

Im an oilers fan from houston long time. I watch football and I root for the houston team to win but i absolutely hate this ownership and everything about their approach to winning or lack thereof.

I get it a business and yet they never play to win. I think there are owners that genuinely want to win and those that dont. These guys have always played to be in middle. Thats part of their plan and overthink it ...pound foolish penny smart. I could get into the eye roll that was casserly and having him pick when no longer there to the r2p2 philosophy of conserviak (as mandated by mcnair) to the befuddled look of dom capers in above his head. I can say names like duane brown handling, boselli, babin lol, endless list, the picking of super mario due to signability. The sample size is there now with this ownership.

Everything they do is measured around cheapness and middle or pack mindset its disturbing. They think they are so smart too since they can kick can and the whole town laps it up. Its obvious and i give the same half ass effort they give me. If oilers made it to superbowl i would dance in streets. With these lame ass texans i would root for them but even if they won i would put the same half ass interest into attending the parade and not come lol.. Haha boo hoo im not coming but theres difference in passion ! excitement !interest!Its not the same. Texans are whatever.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Capeala could be most improved player of the year. That's just my opinion.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

You just don’t get @Mr.Scarface dude.... he’s super serious football guy but silly billy jokester baseball guy. Everyone knows that!

TheRealist137 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why take the risk? And what is the net of trading down if you're going to trade back up?

I've been saying this for 20, 25 years... if you like a player, DRAFT HIM. There is *no* reason to get cute. Remember, every GM *knew* the Texans needed an OT. If you pass on Howard, and another team *loves* him, you risk losing him. Is that worth... a 3rd or 4th round pick?

Good lord,,, yes, assembling a draft board and then having the discipline to stick to it is lazy................

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Sounds familiar...like the consensus when we drafted that Duane Brown fella, too. For one, Howard was not lasting to the 3rd in this draft. My guess is first half or third of the 2nd round. I'm not defending the pick one way or another, but he met with like 25 teams! Most out of any player this draft, IIRC. Teams were falling in love with him late in the draft process too.

Howard will likely follow the Duane "path", who swapped playing time in 08 with scrubs like Salaam until Duane developed enough to take over and start. We're doing the same thing in 2019. Texans have a slew of players competing for playing time. Between Henderson, Fulton, Davenport, Martin/Mancz, Kelemente, Rankin..Hopefully they canhold down the fort long enough for Howard and Scharping to develop a bit. Seems very short term to disregard Howard with the rationale that Dillard can play right now. What about in 2 years? How will they develop in the long term is the key question. I think it's pretty clear that Gaine valued the idea of Howard and 3rd rounders' long-term value over that of Dillard. Now, I don't know much about Dillard...but there's a reason no one took him before 22. He's not a perfect prospect by any means. Howard will surely have to play into the position, but ultimately, so what? We can give him time.

The ultimate hindsight question is whether Dillard ends up being better than both Howard and the value of the 3rd rounder (ended up Warring). Maybe he is. Who knows. But I don't think it's as big of a problem as some are making it out to be. Howard has the raw skills...let's just see if he can put it together.

As a side-note, the whole "value" argument does carry some weight based on Gaine's selections. But there's something to be said for just picking who you like. Let's sit back and see if they develop. Like Brown. Who cares? There's reason to like every single pick.

#57 awc713, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Buck Turgidson and No Worries like this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What about two years? we are playing to compete right now not wait that long for Howard to develop. All im saying is u have a young star qb that needs protection now, so you shouldn't be wasting time trying to pick a raw ass player. Maybe he can contribute maybe he can't, but tbh u really shouldn't be wasting time.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Baseball is a LONG season, you need humor to get thru it. Football is a week to week, stressful endeavor..........