1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blaming the Refs is the lazy way of avoiding the truth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2019.

?

What is our problem?

1. Defense

51 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. coaching

28 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. personel

25 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. ownership

21 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. general manager

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Zergling

Zergling Member

It still blows my mind that in the middle of the James Harden era and while he's playing at his absolute best, and while we have the last few good years of CP3, we decided THIS was the year we needed to focus on getting under the luxury tax and not even use our full MLE.

This is on the owner. We've lost 5 games that would've been wins if we just had House.

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Great take. I hope both problems are fixed going forward. But I have (much) more faith the team getting better than the officiating. For some reason, I feel like Houston gets the short end of that stick a lot. AND I'M NOT EVEN FROM HOUSTON :mad:

malakas likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes, I get it the refs are ****, but Green has been an absolute disaster for us. Even just a league average player would have won us a few extra games this year. Just painful.

Mathloom likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Refs have always been against the Rockets, but great basketball always wins out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_O'Donnell

O'Donnell's final game of his officiating career was marred by a controversial ejection of the Houston Rockets' Clyde Drexler during the 1995 NBA Playoffs, which allegedly stemmed from a personal feud between the two at the time.[8] In Game 1 of the second-round playoff matchup between the Rockets and Phoenix Suns, Drexler picked up two technical fouls, which resulted in an ejection, after arguing with O'Donnell over a questionable "clear path" foul against him while going for a loose ball with the Suns' Dan Majerle.[2] This incident occurred after O'Donnell refused to shake hands at a pregame meeting with Drexler before the opening tipoff, which was the history during the previous couple of years.[9] The Rockets complained to the league over O'Donnell's actions and sent a video tape to Commissioner David Stern showing the meeting of O'Donnell refusing to shake Drexler's hand.[2] Elyse Lanier, the wife of Houston MayorBob Lanier, personally phoned Stern to complain about O'Donnell.[10]

The league responded to the incident by not assigning O'Donnell to officiate any additional playoff games that year, including the 1995 NBA Finals, which ended a string of 23 consecutive appearances in the Finals.[9] The league also rescinded the standard $1,000 ejection fine to Drexler.[10] The NBA never formally announced the suspension of O'Donnell, but paid him for working the first three playoff rounds, although he did not work past the second round.[8] Both O'Donnell and the NBA have denied the impression that this incident led to O'Donnell being forced out of the league.[9] At the time, O'Donnell claimed there was no feud between him and Drexler, stating, "I just don't take any crap from anyone, and he couldn't handle that. If he thinks it was personal, fine, but it wasn't from my standpoint."[9] However a year later in an interview with ESPN[11] O'Donnell commented, "I wouldn't give Clyde Drexler much leeway because of the way he reacted with me all the time. I thought at times he would give cheap shots to people, and I just would not allow it."[11]

[​IMG]

#44 tinman, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    everyday eddie and bmelo like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

we're helping them by not playing defense and not doing anything to protect the big leads we have

6. tinman

Supporting Member

This reminds me on how people are outraged that Tristan Thompson cheated on Khloe (not the first time)
    but they are so shocked and blaming it on Kylie's hoe friend for sleeping with him

Yet the real issue is that Khloe goes for dudes who sleep with tons of women, James Harden, French Montoya, and Lamar Odom who overdosed while having sex with 4 hookers in a brothel

But people are shocked Tristan cheated on her..

7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

disclaimer: this spoiler is filled with tons of sarcasm, non-factual statistics, and also not what I believe in and none of it is actually funny to me. And it is also off-topic much like Tinman's Khloe rant.

Yeah, right bro lmao women are sooo stupid lol they have like no sense. freaking women am I right lmao.

they're so dumb to get in marriages lmao like in reality 69% of all marriages have like domestic abuse and the men are the abusers. women are soo stupid. everyone is so shocked and blaming it on the men who are hitting their wives

yet the real issue is that women marry men who like 420% of the time hit their wives lmao you know like [names 4 random people] lmao women am I right. they're the stupid ones! women lol they're not PURE bro lol i'm glad we can agree

8. tinman

Supporting Member

my analogy is a good one.

the masses react to one incident but don't see the big picture.

They don't see that there's a pattern , and this could be done for ratings where Khloe goes after NBA players who are known to sleep around

The business model of having drama on that show keeps it going and dumb people watching it

The big picture for the Rockets is that we are making the same mistakes over and over again

9. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Y’all overreacting.

Gerald Green shot 0-8 threes which isn’t normal for him. If he shot 2-8 we would’ve won.

Nothing to worry about here, just a bit of post All Star break funk, we will be fine.

#runasone

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

let’s not act like the refs weren’t a huge issue this game...both Harden and CP3 fouled out

How many times have u seen a team’s starting backcourt both with 6 fouls?

still, the Rockets been choking with or without ref fckery all season long

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Refs played a part but coaching and lack of execution is the bigger problem.

Defense? Rox defended well this game Lakers were shooting 39% at one point, the problem is they couldn't score and couldn't secure rebounds, even if the opponent's FG% is low they are gonna score given enough tries.

The main issue is the Rox seem to have 1 play all game long, PnR to somebody else for the 3. There is no plan B, there is no variety wtf was that obv the 3s are gonna dry up at some point. MDA needs to design new sets, isn't he supposed to be an offensive genius?

And Harden and Cp3 need to make better plays and start driving it in when the 3s dry up. I saw one beautiful play where the Rox passed it around for a Harden drive and dunk. Too bad that was the only time I saw saw more than 2 players touch the ball on a play, the rest drive and kicks for brick 3s.

seeingred likes this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If I could select all the answers I would.

13. hakeemthagreat

I think ignoring & not pointing out the refs blown calls is lazy as well. Game 7 last year prime example. One or two bad calls can change a whole game

everyday eddie and jcf like this.
  14. bj3175

bj3175 Member

to much iso throws the role players off. Even MJ didn't iso all the time when they started winning he was able to maintain the balance between iso and teammate involvement . That is what made him unstoppable

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Game 7 was a screwjob. Last night wasn't. The Rockets weren't stuck on 7 points in the 4th quarter with 3 minutes to go because of Scott Foster. It was because they were settling for 3's late in the shotclock instead of attacking the hoop.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

http://grantland.com/features/an-oral-history-hakeem-olajuwon-ralph-sampson-1980s-houston-rockets/

Granted, they probably should not be doing cocaine...

17. hakeemthagreat

The Rockets definitely screwed that game up. But it was clear once the momentum swung towards LA the refs weren't gonna allow us back in. The refs often seem like they're there to control the game as opposed to actually officiating it

18. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Yeah Scott Foster does suck and probably placing bets. I agree that Hardens iso-style and jacking up shots in the 3rd period screwed us. If he plays within the flow of the game like Paul, we are able to get that lead. It doesn't help that Tucker, Green, and Gordon were missing wide open shots.
    D'Antoni keeping Green in the game was a very bad move. When he's not contributing on offense, he is a negative player. This is where House would make a difference. Not as good of a shooter but at least a plus defender.
    We played well with Faried and Capela on the floor together so why not continue that particular lineup.
    I don't know what type of defensive schemes being played out there. It seems that they are giving up wide open 3s, not boxing out, lanes to the basket.
    On defensive switching or picks, Harden and Gordon are not communicating and guarding no one leaving lanes and the opposition wide open.
    They are not getting back on transition defense.
    I'm not sure what it will take to fix first..Maybe it's post Allstar lag.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to get healthy (incl. Beard)...all on the same page..build momentum into the postseason....and, not face Scott Foster.
    HUGE POSITIVE takeaway....much bigger than last night's loss - CP3 coming back strong!

20. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Yeah, I agree. At least House played great defense if he were missing shots. Fertitta looks cheap with that cheap ass smirk. It's on Harden and D'Antoni. D'Antoni sucks at matching oppositional personnel. That Capela and Faried lineup was effective with Paul. Why not continue this?? Why start Gordon when you have him guarding either a 6'8 Ingram or LeBron? Why have Green out there when he is forcing shots and equally bad on defense?
    Harden needs to play better defense and lead by example instead of yelling when he's standing around the paint, guarding no one with his man is wide open. Gordon is also frequently guilty of this but Harden is our best player so lead by example.