1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Panther vs 12 Years A Slave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 17, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

12 Years was a rare victory in slavery. If you can't watch a movie on slavery cause it hurts too much then you are holding on to the misery.

Not the rest of the country

Our politics is our misery.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No because you think a mere movie about slavery is racist towards white people.

But I think you are trolling and not genuine.

3. Fantasma Negro

I'm saying live your life bro. Its just annoying to watch people seek validation from hollow vessels

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not sure you understand. I'm not saying these struggle films should stop being made. I'm not a fan of them, but I know how important they are. I just don't think struggle films comprised of an all-black cast should be the sole property that appeals to all races.

If for every blockbuster struggle film there was another film given the same amount of money with Black people existing in an imaginative way in the past, present or future, I would be elated. We know that doesn't happen. Big money is rarely given to films that don't have a slavery or civil rights movement story.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

Towards white people? How many white slaves where in that movie?

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Your premise that Hollywood is racist for returning to the issue of slavery .

7. Fantasma Negro

What color is a slave? Now if you read a little history you will find that at some point and time every skin color was enslaved. There were slaves in the bible for goodness sake but if you look at every hollyweird feature about slavery, what color are the slaves?

8. Major

Major Member

Why don't you just "live your live bro" instead of worrying about what other people are watching and whether they are interested in learning about history? Your statements are basically "only make movies I want to watch for reasons I approve". You are simply a shallow narcissist.

RedRedemption likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

What color are most slaves in US history? If you watch a movie about Israeli history or Egyptian history, you might find slaves that fit the types of slaves in those countries. You have a problem with movies about US history portraying slaves as black because biblical times had other color slaves?

10. Fantasma Negro

I never said I was worried and there is no need to name call because of a difference of view.

#30 Fantasma Negro, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Astrodome likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

I'm not even sure what this means dude

12. conquistador#11

since we are talking about black films dont even get me started on Django!!!

Why stop there. How did JD end up in the mexican mafia? :( SAD
    Only white guy. He could have made the Aryan Brother hood the most tremendous prison gang.
    [​IMG]

I've yet to see black panther but anytime I can insert gump quote,

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

12 Years is similar to World War II or Holocaust movies, we kind of need to continually recreate these stories via film to keep each generation engaged and reminded, especially considering broadcast television doesn't do movies of the week or miniseries anymore; but also because we really can't be sure people are reading or retaining history. I've exempted myself from all of it as well since I got Sounder, Caged Bird, the Danny Glover/HBO Mandela film with the funeral scene where they're singing the ANC anthem, Mississippi Burning and Cry Freedom drilled into me all before junior high, but calm the **** down and let the kids watch their stuff.

I'm sure there was a lost opportunity in the late '80s and early '90s to redirect the entire thrust of black media imagery to something more conventional and aspirational and integrated, but we all signed that lease and nobody would have watched it anyway.

fchowd0311 and pgabriel like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's not that many marquee heroes that cast racial minorities. Must take a white dude to think this through and feign a "bigger picture" or injustice.

Obama hired a cszr to declare that.

Then he gave all poor people a cellphone.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Coming to America is the best movie ever.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Black Panther isn't a black movie. It's a comic book movie. It's just like Spiderman isn't a white movie.

I understand blacks wanting more movies representing more middle class blacks but we are at the bottom in so many categories so black movies are going to depict that.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

18. amaru

amaru Member

I agree we need to know more about our past as Afro-descent people. That’s why I’ve been doing my research. Ican give you some places to start if you like. I honestly have a hard time staying focus because the diversity of Africa is unmatched in terms of sheer volume.

What I’ve been doing with those who are excited about Black Panther is using the movie to provide them with real life parallels to spark their interest to did deeper.

I keep flip flopping between the Yoruba, Mansa Musa, “Ethiopians” in Greek literature, Walls of Benin, Kanem Bornu empire etc etc.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

Lol you know those wouldn’t go over well with the majority of the nation.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

I used Erik Killmonger’s character to highlight the importance of historical perspective. Their interest in the film can be used if you have a sufficient level of understanding on history.