1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billups warns teams not to claim him off waivers OR you'll regret it

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coolweather, Dec 11, 2011.

1. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

More on... http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

C'mon players, just play game.. This is too much.

2. Dei

Dei Member

They really should put in some form of performance clause in their contracts.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

**** Billups. You're a basketball player idiot.

4. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to take years for the league to detoxify itself.

5. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Yea, its sad to see, but if any player in the league I would sympathize with, iti s billups. He is old, but still good enough to play. ANd when you see the end in the horizon, and he was massively underpaid his whole career, and he has always been a perfect teammate, professional, characater guy committed to the team and won a title/finals MVP, you kind of think he doesnt deserve to end his career mentoring some kid not playing for crap.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Billups is massively underpaid.
    Everyone forgets he carried one of the least talented teams to the NBA finals and won.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

With that kind of attitude, contenders that he wants to go to will shy away from him also. Enjoy playing overseas if you want to continue playing Chauncey. Ask Iverson how that turned out for him.

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

name recognition shouldnt determine salary. Pistons won years ago and billups has been declining ever since and injury prone.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, if you have the cap spaced, you still bid on Billups. Can't you trade him to a team where he wants to go for something? At least cash, no?

10. SPF35

SPF35 Member

billups is nothing like A.I., Iverson wanted the ball in his hands and to be a star still when he couldn't. Last few years billups has jelled as the 2nd/3rd option, he is willing to play his role and play defense and be a professional, he just wants to go to a place where he is playing for something and is able to contribute. At his age and what he has accomplished and stood for in his career, I don't blame him. Only a few people could pull this off and I would still root for them to make it work and find a good fit, and it'd be guys like Him, Duncan, and Nash who have paid their dues and been solid teammates their entire careers adn don't want to end without a role on a mediocre team

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Billups was seriously pissed to leave Denver. This isn't a huge surprise.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't blame him, he is just doing his own version of marketing to help him get the best result.

Sound business strategy really.

DD

13. Prince

Prince Member

I agree here. he's mr nice guy. it's way better than threatening teams and people with lawsuits.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All the guy does is produce and he's kicked around every where. I can understand how he feels.

To me this is different than CP3 wanting to go to L.A.

Billups is a tired old vet who could retire at any year now, he deserves to finish off his career where he chooses imo.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

so the real question is, where does he want to go?

Miami would be the obvious choice if they amnesty Miller

16. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

imagine this, you're nearing the end of career, you've made friends in these places, you live here, you bring your kids to school here, you think this will be your home, and then your boss says piss off, i'm sending you to our competitor or even worse, your fired and you have no say in where you work next. these people are human beings, they're just athletic commodities who should stfu, be robots, and play with no emotion or feeling. after all, $$$ is all you need to keep you happy right? right.

17. Major

Major Member

He always had the option to not sign a long term deal if he didn't want to be bound by the terms of it. He could have just taken a bunch of 1 or 2 year contracts.

18. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Players that have paid their dues deserve it IMO. He just warned other teams about his situation. You would do the same, trust me. Sometimes it's not about the money anymore, his passion needs to be reignited and I understand that. It's easy in this situation, I see Billups as clear and sincere as possible. "Don't screw yourselves, I want you to know my true intentions." Simple.

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

wow, i am shocked he actually said something like that...

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Stern fines people left and right for everything. There should be a clause that allows to fine players for this kind of behavior. They are employees of the NBA and the system is designed so that these players do not make that kind of decision. I like Billups and from a personal standpoint, I understand that he would like to determine where he goes, but that is not how the system is set up. And this kind of threatening/blackmailing teams should be sanctioned.